Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #61
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: 10 Best Bodypunchers Ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
I think he stopped Vilomar Fernandez with a body shot too. Not a one skit wonder either like see guys; both hands were effective.
Right you are. Double body shots in fact, a quick left then right.

Oh, and he squelched Monroe Brooks with a liver shot.
Manassa is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #62
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Was anyone a better body puncher than Duran?

As good, perhaps, but I would contend even that.

His attack was varied, quick and riddled with feints so sometimes his body work can be hard to recognise unless you concentrate on it.

But in many fights he demonstrated well placed rib shots with hooks and uppercuts from both hands. He consistently smashed up Davey Moore's insides and crushed Guts Ishimatsu with a right hook downstairs.
Tony Zale threw 61% body punches in the first round against Graziano and that was with me counting the jabs that were just there to feel out the distance and the misses with the jabs and rights, almost every shot to the body was hard and hit it's mark.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #63
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Tony Zale threw 61% body punches in the first round against Graziano and that was with me counting the jabs that were just there to feel out the distance and the misses with the jabs and rights, almost every shot to the body was hard and hit it's mark.
Not doubting Zale was one of the best.

But Duran was slicker and more precise. Surprised people. Threw combinations to the body.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 03:09 AM   #64
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not doubting Zale was one of the best.

But Duran was slicker and more precise. Surprised people. Threw combinations to the body.
First round Zale threw a tripple left hook to the body... Also shoulder rolled rights and came back with uppercuts to the body that land flush, most right to the solar plexus Graziano talked about it later on, he hit the floating ribs alot as well.
You can see when he goes to the body as well he puts his entire bodyweight behind the punch and moves the other guy.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 AM   #65
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
First round Zale threw a tripple left hook to the body... Also shoulder rolled rights and came back with uppercuts to the body that land flush, most right to the solar plexus Graziano talked about it later on, he hit the floating ribs alot as well.
You can see when he goes to the body as well he puts his entire bodyweight behind the punch and moves the other guy.
Prime Zale was a force. Messed up Hostak and Abrams to the body, apparently, and stopped Logan from a body punch. This is only from Boxrec. Might be interesting to look at some old newspaper reports and see who else Zale damaged downstairs.

Thing is, Duran has the same credentials. And I choose his speed and precision over Zale's.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 03:49 AM   #66
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Prime Zale was a force. Messed up Hostak and Abrams to the body, apparently, and stopped Logan from a body punch. This is only from Boxrec. Might be interesting to look at some old newspaper reports and see who else Zale damaged downstairs.

Thing is, Duran has the same credentials. And I choose his speed and precision over Zale's.
But Zale was more constant usually throwing more than half of his punches to the body if not more than half then close to half and i'd take a lot of hard shots sustained for the whole fight over shots that were a little more precise (debatable) and faster, cause Zale found his mark over and over, i just see his bodywork doing more than Durans over a fight. And he was just so constant and reliable with his body attack i see him as better
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #67
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
But Zale was more constant usually throwing more than half of his punches to the body if not more than half then close to half and i'd take a lot of hard shots sustained for the whole fight over shots that were a little more precise (debatable) and faster, cause Zale found his mark over and over, i just see his bodywork doing more than Durans over a fight. And he was just so constant and reliable with his body attack i see him as better
And that's fair enough. Duran has the advantage of more filmed fights. From what I can remember, his body work is fantastic in:

Duran-Moore
Duran-De Jesus II
Duran-Palomino

And he collapsed fighters with body shots in:

Duran-Ishimatsu
Duran-Fernandez
Duran-Brooks
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #68
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
And that's fair enough. Duran has the advantage of more filmed fights. From what I can remember, his body work is fantastic in:

Duran-Moore
Duran-De Jesus II
Duran-Palomino

And he collapsed fighters with body shots in:

Duran-Ishimatsu
Duran-Fernandez
Duran-Brooks
That's true, he was amazing in De jesus 2 love that fight, wish we had more Zale fights on tape, out of curiosity what does your list look like where do you have Zale?
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #69
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's true, he was amazing in De jesus 2 love that fight, wish we had more Zale fights on tape, out of curiosity what does your list look like where do you have Zale?
What, body punchers list?

Haven't really thought about it too much. I know Duran is my current feeling for number one. There were a lot of good body punchers but he was the most technical. Luis Rodriguez could put in some nice work. Henry Armstrong of course. And Ike Williams, he was noted for a ferocious body assault. Tony Zale would come in around number thirty or forty.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #70
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What, body punchers list?

Haven't really thought about it too much. I know Duran is my current feeling for number one. There were a lot of good body punchers but he was the most technical. Luis Rodriguez could put in some nice work. Henry Armstrong of course. And Ike Williams, he was noted for a ferocious body assault. Tony Zale would come in around number thirty or forty.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #71
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah. Zale hit the body a lot, but he was extremely weak and did little damage.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #72
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

"When he hits you in the belly it's like someone stuck a red-hot poker in you and left it there."

"The first time he hit me to the body I didn't know whether to crap or throw-up" -- Billy Soose (on Tony Zale)

Even Graziano said he would think Zale would beat Ray Robinson solely on how good and hard his body attack was...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #73
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

Quote:

"When he hits you in the belly it's like someone stuck a red-hot poker in you and left it there."

"The first time he hit me to the body I didn't know whether to crap or throw-up" -- Billy Soose (on Tony Zale)

Even Graziano said he would think Zale would beat Ray Robinson solely on how good and hard his body attack was...
Yeah but they were talking shit.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #74
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah but they were talking shit.
Oh that must be it...
It's not like they've been hit by him, only you have right...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #75
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's like saying Harry Greb shouldn't be within a top 5 p4p list because he didn't have power, if there was a Hardest body puncher list Zale would definatley feature but for some reason lets say he had no power wouldn't him going to the body more often than most fighters the most i personally think and getting clean shots in make him a sure shot for it...
But still the fact is he did have power and did hit to the body a lot more than other fighters did (the most i believe, and with damaging hard punches) which equals a high rating among body punching lists and definatley not in the 30's and 40's...

Last edited by Theron; 02-10-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Theron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum