Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #46
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Jon-Lewis Dickinson v David Dolan - British CW title

To be honest, and I'm a Sunderland lad who loves going to live fights, I'd probs give this a miss if it's 35/40 quid a ticket. One 12 rounder in a fight that's already been made and the winner has improved/loser has probs regressed. If Travis is on it makes it better but really its still weak.

No Stuey Hall and obv' no Jaffa I honestly don't see the appeal for me. I think JDL will win and hope Dolan shows a good account of himself but its a poor card in all honesty.
Lilo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #47
fantaheed
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
To be honest, and I'm a Sunderland lad who loves going to live fights, I'd probs give this a miss if it's 35/40 quid a ticket. One 12 rounder in a fight that's already been made and the winner has improved/loser has probs regressed. If Travis is on it makes it better but really its still weak.

No Stuey Hall and obv' no Jaffa I honestly don't see the appeal for me. I think JDL will win and hope Dolan shows a good account of himself but its a poor card in all honesty.
i think mate it is purely because we are starved of fight cards up here so any jaffas dad put on have always had a decent main event and some good local prospects on the undercard (not matched hard but gives a good indication of there potential).

it is steep 35 but plenty of fights on the bill and should be a good night.

hopefully glenn foot can work his way towards a british title fight and have it in north east
fantaheed is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
Paullow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaheed View Post
i think mate it is purely because we are starved of fight cards up here so any jaffas dad put on have always had a decent main event and some good local prospects on the undercard (not matched hard but gives a good indication of there potential).

it is steep 35 but plenty of fights on the bill and should be a good night.

hopefully glenn foot can work his way towards a british title fight and have it in north east
Would rather pay 35 for that card than the 39 14 miles north. Was watching Frampton last night and the quality atmosphere and was thinking again how it would be class if we had a geniune north east star who could sell out the arena no bother. Wouldn't be a bad idea for someone half decent from cities like liverpool, shefield etc where there is a lot of talent to magically discover some sort of 'Geordie roots' and base himself up here for his fights, since there has been no card of note since 2009, and no boxers of note for decades.
Paullow is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #49
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Being brtish I wonder if 6'4 British CW king Jon Lewis Dickinson is the man to step up and crush the K2 bro's.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

In his early fights he beat journeymen Paul Bonson and Hastings Rasani (who give prime World title challenger Sosnowski his second toughest fight)on points, before winning the Prizefighter series in April 2010 beating Leon Williams, Mark Krence and Nick Okoth. In July, however, he suffered a shock tko loss to Tyrone Wright, and followed it up by retiring on his stool against Richard Turba, after suffering a suspected broken jaw.

Then Dickinson returned big in July 2011 with a new hunger and determination. The leaner focused Dickinson stormed through 2011 with a win over 2002 Commonwealth Games gold medallist David Dolan before beating Chris Burton in early 2012.

Winning the prestigious 'prizefighter' cup.

2012 then saw Dickinson smash undefeated Matty Askin to pieces beating him by UD which then earned the big man a shot at Enzo 'Big Mac' conqueror Shane McPhilbin. The judges' scorecards gave a fair reflection, rewarding Dickinson for his higher workrate throughout (118-110, 118-110, 117-111).

Now with having conquered all of Britain and making Dickinson probably the best CW in the World it's time to move onwards and upwards to the HW division where a battle with the long past it Russian Klitschko brothers looms.

Some say Jon Lewis Dickinson doesn't really have a style. He relies on his incredible God given height, speed and quickness and never really learned how to box in the conventional sense. For most of Dickinson's career, he was operating at such a high dexterity level, it appeared to him that other fighters were moving in slow motion. Dickinson has speed and quickness like no one before him, he is an amazing physical phenomena.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #50
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaheed View Post
How has sparring been going with JLD and Cornish? Don't rate Cornish yet tho when he steps up he may prove a lot of people wrong. Your right about Dolan it's probably his last chance so he will come in great shape and be up for this I think tactically be very interested to see how he fights esp the first few rounds.

Anyword on travis fighting?
areet m8, Travis has now been put on the card, I think Jon-Lewis made it very clear he wasn't selling tickets if he wasn't on it (so I'm told at least). Not seen Jon-Lewis sparring Cornish yet, I don't think Ronnie Rowe likes people watching the spars much. This Ukrainian lad who's had a few hundred amateur fights, was meant to be entering the world series of boxing but he decided to move here as you don't get payed well out there, he's going amateur for one season over here then entering the aba's then going pro (A lot of people are talking abut it like a formality that he wins aba's from how good he's looked sparring last years aba champ) he came down to spar jon-lewis and just missed him, I think he thought I was jon-lewis actually he proper tried to eye me out lol, anyway he should have been sparring jon-lewis at the end of his camp so that's good sparring.

I'm really excited about this card, we've finally got a proper show on up here instead of the usual shite (I mean those o2 shows were 30 for 4 fights of 4x3 with inexpierienced and/or average boxers I'd never go to that), I've even heard glenn foot might be on although I doubt that but still, top show. really looking forward to it, not quite as good as the shows down manchester and liverpool and obiously london but it's a big start.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #51
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Being brtish I wonder if 6'4 British CW king Jon Lewis Dickinson is the man to step up and crush the K2 bro's.

In his early fights he beat journeymen Paul Bonson and Hastings Rasani (who give prime World title challenger Sosnowski his second toughest fight)on points, before winning the Prizefighter series in April 2010 beating Leon Williams, Mark Krence and Nick Okoth. In July, however, he suffered a shock tko loss to Tyrone Wright, and followed it up by retiring on his stool against Richard Turba, after suffering a suspected broken jaw.

Then Dickinson returned big in July 2011 with a new hunger and determination. The leaner focused Dickinson stormed through 2011 with a win over 2002 Commonwealth Games gold medallist David Dolan before beating Chris Burton in early 2012.

Winning the prestigious 'prizefighter' cup.

2012 then saw Dickinson smash undefeated Matty Askin to pieces beating him by UD which then earned the big man a shot at Enzo 'Big Mac' conqueror Shane McPhilbin. The judges' scorecards gave a fair reflection, rewarding Dickinson for his higher workrate throughout (118-110, 118-110, 117-111).

Now with having conquered all of Britain and making Dickinson probably the best CW in the World it's time to move onwards and upwards to the HW division where a battle with the long past it Russian Klitschko brothers looms.

Some say Jon Lewis Dickinson doesn't really have a style. He relies on his incredible God given height, speed and quickness and never really learned how to box in the conventional sense. For most of Dickinson's career, he was operating at such a high dexterity level, it appeared to him that other fighters were moving in slow motion. Dickinson has speed and quickness like no one before him, he is an amazing physical phenomena.
both of those TKO defeats were due to injuries. I rate Dickinson highly although I think it's a bit early to be talking about the Klitschko's. If he can establish himself a bit more on the domestic scene though against the guys coming up, it'd be nice to see him perhaps move on to a european title shot n then perhaps even a world cruiserweight title shot. He's got a tough test coming up next though imo.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #52
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

here's an old amateur fight of dickinson vs. bellew for anyone interested. dickinson was boxing his head off but gets caught with a huge punch, hard to believe that he was only a teenager back then.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #53
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paullow View Post
What were the prices for this? I see Steve Wraith is charging 39 quid for his latest card in May which is headlined by a 33 yr old who has only had 5 fights and hasn't fought since 2005

what show is this? lol, I saw his last one looked abysmal, Akassh Hussain vs. O'hagan main event in a 4x3 round bout, they litterally had 3 fights between them going in, and there was only 3 more fights all 4x3 with novice boxers or journeymen on the card.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #54
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Andrew 'el Cannon' Buchanan

he'll be 33 in May anyway

Must be a fairly popular lad with a few mates that he can sell too, i dont know what the deal is with the 8 year absence but wouldn't have him down as headline material.

It's good that there is boxing back in the North East (and particularly Newcastle, for logistic reasons), but it does take the piss a bit when you can get to see Purdy, Barker and Camacho-Clark for as little as 20 and we have to pay double to see this bloke. i know all about the costs, small arena etc but still a bit shit for the paying punter who doesnt know any of the boxers.

The Sunderland card is pretty good - British title, relative big name up here in JLD, supported by people most have heard of like cornish and price.
I know mate, what's the point in going to see 4 average 4x3 fights for 40 when you can get a night of top class amateur boxing with perhaps 15-18 bouts with a few regional and national champions for 10-15. You want to see some good fights if you're going to fork out the extra money.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #55
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
The Hall bill looks good to with chubz and hepper on the undercard. Fox/Mcray on jld undercard looks a good little scrap. If its 39quid then kash will be on undercard again.
Quote:
never heard of hepper, but thomas ward is on and is supposed to be good - to be fair he has been on the last 2 Wraith cards, and will prob be on this one as well. would have been more appealing if he (despite age, and lack of fights), ismay or even clauzel were the headliner.

re: kash i'm confused, are you taking the piss, or do you rate him?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggy7188 View Post
Hepper likes a good war. I dont rate kash but he sells bucketload of tickets thats why he will be on undercard.
that tommy ward was an excellent amateur and I guess you'll stop seeing him on Wraith cards soon, I don't think it's worth paying that much just to see him tbh though when you can just go down to one of his old amateur club Birtley's shows n see boxers like pat and luke mcomack, callum french etc. who are just as good as he was if not better and see these kids in better bouts with more over all bouts on the show.

as for akassh hussain, I believe he has gone to america to train with tim witherspoon, at the same gym as bernard hopkins. nothing against the kid fair play he's a decent boxer but I don't buy any of the hype with him, he only had about 25 amateurs, only won about half and got stopped about 4 times, he didn't set the world on fire as an amateur n he won't as a pro, he just name drops imo.

If you look at wraiths shows he's just getting the same people he had on in his shows while he was doing unlicensed for the most part and that's effectively what you're getting except you're actually getting less fights. would never go to one of his shows
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 05:10 AM   #56
ryanmorton
Journeyman

couple of videos of Travis and Jon ahead of there fights
ryanmorton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum