Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post
Why didn't Oscar fight them? Because Oscar was busy fighting Legends, ATGs, Champions, and quite frankly, much better fighters.
No kidding.

Margarito
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
shoulderroll
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 333
vCash: 366
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Margarito would be a handfull for 2008 version of Oscar. He didn't have the legs to box Margarito, it would be a hell of a fight because of both men's iron jaws.
shoulderroll is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,293
vCash: 107
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Wtf are you talking about? Oscar had already faced Hopkins, Mosleyx2, Trinidad, Quartey, Vargas, etc in their primes. Oscar didn't have to face Williams or Margarito wtf for? Oscar was done they wouldnt get no credit just like Floyd doesnt get much either tho he did fight Oscar at 154. Still Oscar wasnt close to his best.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
dodong
>>PACQUIAO<<
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,440
vCash: 115
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
Didn't Oscar say he wanted the Cotto-margarito winner with unvocalized expectations that it would be Cotto who wins? We know how that turned out, and he decides against fighting marg since marg was a weak draw.
weak and faulty logic....margo was riding high after the brutal fight with cotto. margo-dlh would have made more since it was a more legit fight than the "circus/mismatch" fight of dlh and pac.
dodong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #20
JM22
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Laredo Texas
Posts: 7,439
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Maybe Margarito beating DLH in sparring had something to do with it.
JM22 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #21
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 9,954
vCash: 90000
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

cus he doesnt have too. marg was unknown until cotto
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,494
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

A better question is why DLH avoided fighters that beat the fighters that beat him?
I'm talking about Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright.

Some people are going to say because of name appeal, but looking back now, those names sure would look good on DLH's resume had he fought and beat them.
As it is, DLH lost to every elite he ever faced.
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #23
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,716
vCash: 26665
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
A better question is why DLH avoided fighters that beat the fighters that beat him?
I'm talking about Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright.

Some people are going to say because of name appeal, but looking back now, those names sure would look good on DLH's resume had he fought and beat them.
As it is, DLH lost to every elite he ever faced.
He offered Wright a great payday and Wright declined because Trinidad, a vastly more popular fighter, got more from ODLH. Because he was worth more. Typical Winky. DLH absolutely did not avoid Wright. Why is this such a prevalent line of bullshit? It's so easily debunked. Did VF ever call him out? It was my understanding they were friends and not particularly interested in fighting each other, but I'd be interested to know if VF actually did want it. Also, I certainly cannot agree that DLH lost to every elite fighter he ever faced, but why quibble?
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #24
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 14,888
vCash: 1500
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Look at timelines.

Paul Williams only ever reached the stature he was at in 2007 by beating Margarito. Oscar, by that point, had just lost to Mayweather and would only fight Forbes and Pacquiao by the end of 2008. Before that, he was at 160 for Sturm n Hopkins... Never would've made sense.

The only times a Margarito fight would have made sense not in the Mayweather-Pacquiao 07-08 retirement years, would have been 02-06 when Margarito held a WW belt for most of that time. During those years, Oscar was a 154, then up to 160, then partially retired before Mayweather... Never would've made sense either.

Just doesn't make any sense really.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #25
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Look at timelines.

Paul Williams only ever reached the stature he was at in 2007 by beating Margarito. Oscar, by that point, had just lost to Mayweather and would only fight Forbes and Pacquiao by the end of 2008. Before that, he was at 160 for Sturm n Hopkins... Never would've made sense.

The only times a Margarito fight would have made sense not in the Mayweather-Pacquiao 07-08 retirement years, would have been 02-06 when Margarito held a WW belt for most of that time. During those years, Oscar was a 154, then up to 160, then partially retired before Mayweather... Never would've made sense either.

Just doesn't make any sense really.
It makes plenty of sense when DLH says he'll fight the Cotto vs. Margarito WINNER, only to backtrack later. Then he says "Maybe I'll fight Paul William" since he beat Margarito. So, these two guys whom DLH HIMSELF proclaimed as potential foes, don't make sense to you?

If we're talking about the timeline here, and WHEN DLH could have fought them, well, then both guys fit in based on what DLH said himself.

Goldy made the right choice. At that stage in his career, both Margartio and Williams woulda beaten him.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,546
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoulderroll View Post
Margarito would be a handfull for 2008 version of Oscar. He didn't have the legs to box Margarito, it would be a hell of a fight because of both men's iron jaws.
Oscar had the firepower to knock marg out.
Slickstar is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
SweetHome_Bama
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,143
vCash: 10918
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Why didn't Cotto fight P-Will after Margo, why didn't Margo get that rematch from P-Will that he was crying about?

Pwill was calling both of them out.
SweetHome_Bama is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
I Talk Tonight
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: We're not scaremongering, this is really happening
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Oscar Duck a Hoya!
I Talk Tonight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #29
divac
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: LosAngeles
Posts: 12,494
vCash: 75
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance_Uppercut View Post
It makes plenty of sense when DLH says he'll fight the Cotto vs. Margarito WINNER, only to backtrack later. Then he says "Maybe I'll fight Paul William" since he beat Margarito. So, these two guys whom DLH HIMSELF proclaimed as potential foes, don't make sense to you?

If we're talking about the timeline here, and WHEN DLH could have fought them, well, then both guys fit in based on what DLH said himself.

Goldy made the right choice. At that stage in his career, both Margartio and Williams woulda beaten him.
Margarito had just bloodgeoned Cotto, and the fight to make at 147/154 was Margarito vs DLH!
Margarito called DLH out for the fight to be made at 154 lbs.

Margarito was at the height of his popularity. DLH chose to make the Pacquiao fight instead thinking it was a gimme fight against a much smaller fighter who was moving up really three weight divisions.
Pacquiao had only had one fight as a lightweight against a little bit better than a journeyman type David Diaz, so he Pacquiao was really scaling up passed lightweight and juniorlightweight to fight as a welterweight.

Fans and boxing journalist booed DLH on that lame move, little did most of us know that Pacquiao was roiding up full blast and capable of sustaining the same work activity 3 weight classes up as he had been doing the previous few years at 130/126 lbs!

Pacquiao blew up on DLH's face!
divac is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 26,025
vCash: 1000
Default Re: So Why Did Oscar Not Fight P.Williams & Margarito?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divac View Post
Margarito had just bloodgeoned Cotto, and the fight to make at 147/154 was Margarito vs DLH!
Margarito called DLH out for the fight to be made at 154 lbs.

Margarito was at the height of his popularity. DLH chose to make the Pacquiao fight instead thinking it was a gimme fight against a much smaller fighter who was moving up really three weight divisions.
Pacquiao had only had one fight as a lightweight against a little bit better than a journeyman type David Diaz, so he Pacquiao was really scaling up passed lightweight and juniorlightweight to fight as a welterweight.

Fans and boxing journalist booed DLH on that lame move, little did most of us know that Pacquiao was roiding up full blast and capable of sustaining the same work activity 3 weight classes up as he had been doing the previous few years at 130/126 lbs!

Pacquiao blew up on DLH's face!
Yep, pretty common knowledge. When DLH said he'd fight the Cotto vs. Margarito winner i know he wouldn't take Margarito after how the fight went down. I'm sure some suckers believed DLH at the time.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013