Old 02-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #16
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: ending w/ lead hand concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
A left hook gets you back in position, it puts your body back into it's boxing stance and puts you in balance. Gets you back in your ''pocket'' and you can work better from there.
So why's it better then the jab?
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Because of the amino acids in the plyometric levels of h20 and c02
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_40 View Post
Because of the amino acids in the plyometric levels of h20 and c02
Boom exacly
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #19
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
So why's it better then the jab?
Because your in a better position after you throw it, i prefer throwing a jab after but the left hook is better i'm not trying to convince you i'm just saying what i thought.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #20
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
You wouldn't be in a better position, though, from my experience. When you finish with a jab you can immediately shoot out another punch, like a straight right, for example.
With a left hook your hips still have to reset and in some cases, if your hook gets deflected or you throw it too wide and it lands on an arm or something, you're going to be off balance.
Well hey maybe you should tell Lou Duva, we all know he needs some help coaching...

If somebody finished with a left hook you would want to turn to your left taking the sting away from the punch and probably counter with a left of your own but by then the person is in their pocket and can easily move back or do whatever they want to dodge your punch or get out clean, if you throw a jab i would think to throw a right over the top, the difference is if you imagine a guy finishing a combination on you by throwing a left hook and him going back into his position and you wanting to throw a left hook or uppercut he can move back and counter again because he will most likely be in better position and balance. But if you imagine him ending with a jab he will be more straight up and in less of a position to defend than if he had thrown a hook and you can counter with a jab and work from there.

Anyway whichever you prefer dosen't make any difference to me so yeah

Personally i do like the jab but i still think the left hook is better.

Last edited by Theron; 02-09-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 04:50 AM   #21
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
You wouldn't be in a better position, though, from my experience. When you finish with a jab you can immediately shoot out another punch, like a straight right, for example.
With a left hook your hips still have to reset and in some cases, if your hook gets deflected or you throw it too wide and it lands on an arm or something, you're going to be off balance.

This guy needs to get out of Lou duva's anus.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:05 AM   #22
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i think it depends.....like most things....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #23
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

This guy needs to get out of Lou duva's anus.
Jealousy is a bad look...Some trainers wont be as great as others, it's just a part of life
It's all good
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't give a flying **** what Lou Duva thinks, finishing with a hook more often than not throws me off balance so I'm naturally not going to do it.
honestly sounds like you go off balance with your hook than...work on your hook
Old 02-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It was explained to me this way...You finish with a hook because a hook is very often a blind side punch that the other guy doesn't see coming. I always teach finishing with a left hand, starting with the straight left after the right hand (I call it a straight left and not a jab because, thrown after a right, weight transfers, and weight does not transfer with a jab).
If finishing with a hook leaves you off balance, don't blame the hook. Your feet are messed up. Try sliding your right foot directly to the right about an inch after you throw your right hand, then hook. Or the left foot to the left if you insist on being a southpaw. Don't slide it forward: Go the side and just barely.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 03:08 AM   #26
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
It was explained to me this way...You finish with a hook because a hook is very often a blind side punch that the other guy doesn't see coming. I always teach finishing with a left hand, starting with the straight left after the right hand (I call it a straight left and not a jab because, thrown after a right, weight transfers, and weight does not transfer with a jab).
If finishing with a hook leaves you off balance, don't blame the hook. Your feet are messed up. Try sliding your right foot directly to the right about an inch after you throw your right hand, then hook. Or the left foot to the left if you insist on being a southpaw. Don't slide it forward: Go the side and just barely.
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #27
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Because a top trainer says something doesn't mean it's right, for everybody. **** that. It throws me off balance.
Quote:
I don't give a flying **** what Lou Duva thinks, finishing with a hook more often than not throws me off balance so I'm naturally not going to do it.
It really does sound like you hook is ****ed, need to work on it...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #28
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
it doesnt matter what is a safe or non safe combination. Everytime you throw punches you are vulnerable.
Not true
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #29
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
A left hook gets you back in position, it puts your body back into it's boxing stance and puts you in balance. Gets you back in your ''pocket'' and you can work better from there.
No it doesn't - if you throw a left hook properly your hips and feet should turn into it thus your body will be turned far more to the side then a normal boxing stance - additionally your weight should have transferred to your back leg rather then be balanced so your weight will not be properly proportioned.

A hook uses your whole body for propulsion and transfer of weight from left to right, or front to back is the main reason why it isn't as good a punch to finish on as the jab par se... Obviously circumstances dictate how you should finish a combination but as most engagements won't lead to a brutal knockout opportunity it would be more reasonable to suggest that a jab will leave the boxer in a better position to continue the attack - or defend.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #30
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No it doesn't - if you throw a left hook properly your hips and feet should turn into it thus your body will be turned far more to the side then a normal boxing stance - additionally your weight should have transferred to your back leg rather then be balanced so your weight will not be properly proportioned.

A hook uses your whole body for propulsion and transfer of weight from left to right, or front to back is the main reason why it isn't as good a punch to finish on as the jab par se... Obviously circumstances dictate how you should finish a combination but as most engagements won't lead to a brutal knockout opportunity it would be more reasonable to suggest that a jab will leave the boxer in a better position to continue the attack - or defend.
I don't agree..you land the hook..the guy reacts, your body turns out the other way...you are safe to either leave the pocket or stay in and start a new combination.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing