Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
surreal deal
Liverpool via Krypton
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shouldnt Rees Be Fighting At 130-135lbs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCD
I think its the lifestyle/culture of where they are all from. My partner is from the Welsh Valleys and when i have gone down with her to see her family there is shit all to do, apart from go to the pub or working mens clubs. That could be a reason maybe?
If there is fuk all to do,isnt that more conducive to gym and roadwork and general training?
No bright lights and distractions.
surreal deal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #17
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

No excuses. Rees eats and drinks too much.
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
lbarrow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

he needs a comeback fight in about three months then a go for the lightweight british title against jonathon thaxton.
lbarrow is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycaz
I honestly think that's it for Rees as far as world title ambitions go. I think he fought the right guy at the right time for one of the big titles, and should be proud of his achievements, he'll always have that WBA strap on his record, which not alot can say.

I may be being harsh but I'd fancy Thaxton & Kahn against him.
Ree`s has never even fought for a domestic title. His case has been nothing more than good fortune and a great result vs M`baye.As for Khan or Thaxton against Ree`s no question my money would be oneither fighter in a fairly tough encounter for both fighters.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #20
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
i aint sure he can make it.

he needs a dietician to take a close look at him. i am not sure whether enzo would wear that though...

in fact, bar joe, most of the calzaghe camp are a little fleshy pryce is never cut right up, docherty looked fleshy, macca always does, no way should gary lockett be a middle either....
maybe there is something in the welsh water?
or maybe its that burger van they always use for interviews outside calzaghes place
IMHO, even Joe looks less than optimally toned. Compare his physique with e.g. Lacy, Robin Reid, Kessler etc. Of course Joe's the best boxer but his physique is less toned than those guys.
Stickandmove is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #21
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycaz
This might sound harsh too but I'm kinda glad 'Team Calzaghe' has lost 2 of it's world titleists. I'm a big fan of Joe but was never buying Enzo's "best trainer in the world" label.
I wonder if Joe is sh*tting himself a bit now? The mood in the gym must have dipped and the pressure on Joe increased.

He's a true champion and warrior but if there is one man that can get in his head and fan the flames of any doubts...........it's gotta be BHop.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
Stickandmove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal deal
Hes only 5ft 3 and not exactly ripped.
Hes pretty trim for a guy in the street,but for a boxer hes fleshy.He should drop down.
Anyone agree or said this before?
100% agreed. I've never seen a fighter so obviously fighting above his weight as Rees against Kotelnik. He landed loads of quality punches but couldn't hurt the bigger guy. He should forget about Witter, Hatton etc. lay off those cheeseburgers and deep fried mars bars and chase Amir Khan at lightweight.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #23
jc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 419

I feel Rees is getting underestimated a lil bit. against smaller oposition the punches he would take would have less effe3ct and his own strength woul dbe increased. Rees obviosly has a great chin, and did win quite a few rounds against kotelnik, who is proven world class and a clearly bigger man.

Thaxton isnt world class at all and a lightweight, id pick rees to beat him. Rees should get himself in the 135/130 british market though as that is the future of British boxing; Rees, thaxton, Khan, Mitchell, Arthur, harrison etc plenty of good fights to be made!
jc is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
Snorkel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

I remember Enzo saying on more than one occassion that he doesn't care what they do outside of the gym with regards to diet, provided they put the work in when they're with him. That's fair enough for people like Joe who have to stay in shape to make the weight, but for a little guy like Rees fighting at 140, that gives him far too much scope to eat and drink too much.

If he had to make 130, he'd have to live a little more carefully and I think he'd benefit from it. If he fought the same AAA that turned up against Foster, he'd have had a good shout. He's certainly got the speed and toughness to trouble the likes of Mitchell and Johanneson, too.
Snorkel is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #25
skellington
Bogbrush
ESB Senior Member

I read that he had to lose a stone to make 140. I accept he is a naturally chubby guy, but still his diet can't be right if he is struggling this much.
skellington is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #26
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
I feel Rees is getting underestimated a lil bit. against smaller oposition the punches he would take would have less effe3ct and his own strength woul dbe increased. Rees obviosly has a great chin, and did win quite a few rounds against kotelnik, who is proven world class and a clearly bigger man.

Thaxton isnt world class at all and a lightweight, id pick rees to beat him. Rees should get himself in the 135/130 british market though as that is the future of British boxing; Rees, thaxton, Khan, Mitchell, Arthur, harrison etc plenty of good fights to be made!
Ree`s walks around at 12 stone. his a gutsy fighter but his well out of his depth at 140 because of his small stature and distinct lack of power. When he was hitting Kotelnik the punches were hitting only his elbows his gloves and just werent hard enough to get his respect despite Ree`s being busy in the early rounds.

Ree`s if he decides to take boxing seriously could make some noise at the lower weights but it seems to me he just likes to scrap and doesnt really take boxing too seriously. Even Enzo seemed pissed with him at the beginning of the 10th. Anyone know what he was saying to him besides the swear words?
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #27
surreal deal
Liverpool via Krypton
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickandmove
IMHO, even Joe looks less than optimally toned. Compare his physique with e.g. Lacy, Robin Reid, Kessler etc. Of course Joe's the best boxer but his physique is less toned than those guys.
True,but he's lean rather than fleshy.He lacks muscle bulk,but he doesnt carry excess blubber,like Rees does.
Be interesting to see how he looks at LH though.
surreal deal is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 AM   #28
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

It seems Rees is considering a move down to lightweight now.

He is quite squat and pudgy so he probably needs to work harder than most to keep in shape between fights. I don't think the inactivity between the M'Baye & Kotelnik bouts (8 months out) did him any favours.
elle is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #29
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

It's been a constant accusation about the boys in the gym that they're a little bit heavier than they should be. Rees, Maccarinelli and Pryce have all experienced success while being a little on the fleshy side and that's the problem. There's no inner drive to discipline themselves. Joe Calzaghe on the other hand has the self discipline now to keep himself in shape. I remember a few early defences of the WBO where he came in well over the 12 stone limit on a couple of occasions. Frank ****** went nuts on him and he's taken it seriously since.

Bradley and Gavin are constantly on the piss in Blackwood, Newport & Cardiff and the shape you see them in shows. The sad thing is that they are both very talented, hard, gutsy fighters who never know when they're beaten - but could be so much more if they looked after themselves better between fights.

Gavin's recent luck came because of M'Baye's opponent pulling out. I don't blame him for taking a shot at a world title above his normal weight. Gavin knows that it's not the weight he should be boxing at but you can't knock him for trying to make the most of his opportunity.

If Rees and Pryce were to really knuckle down, as professionals, and stick two fingers up to Wednesday, Friday and Saturday nights on the piss, they will be successful again. European level easily. Bradley has been in a lot of wars though. Not sure why Maccarinelli doesn't always look in optimum shape but then again, Calzaghe never looks very imposing and it's been alright for him.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum