Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
shs101
newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
Default unusual feint by Rigondeaux

If anyone is a fan of guillermo rigondeaux then you should have noticed this before because he does this in all of his fights and I really dont know why? Some commentators even commented on this but no real insight on it. Its not like a typical feint, he throws a half way punch of some sort (a lot with his straight left) almost in slow motion/half speed...sometimes he comes off with something right after and sometimes not.
A perfect quick example would be right here at around 3:15
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Would this be good to start doing? What are the pros and cons of this? As myself a southpaw, I have a few fights (no begginer) I was looking to add this to my game but first I need to know why he does this

Thats just a quick example but if you watch any of his recent fights he does this thru out the bout
shs101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
AZ_40
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Maryvale
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Noticed it but idk...rigo is a g tho
AZ_40 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,963
vCash: 500
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Cuban fighters do it a lot. When an opponent is hesitant to throw, those punches are put out to get the opponent to throw something. So then there is something to counter. It's also used to measure distance and aides with timing.
You want to be careful with it if you're not a quick, reflex sort of fighter.
dealt_with is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
milkman11
Boxing Junkie
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 840
vCash: 1000
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

That's his way of feinting. It's like he throws out a half ass measuring stick or lazy jab and left to lure his opponent to bite the bait and then he counters him with a left hand or a real speed one-two. Max Kellerman even said it looks like Rigondeaux is rehearsing his punches during Rigondeaux-Kennedy (I think that's when he said it).
milkman11 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 174
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

He is setting a trap. Looking to make the other guy react to it, and then counter.
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #6
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 216
vCash: 1050
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Carl Frampton does it quite a bit as well.

As other posters have said its good for measuring distance and drawing leads from opponents - just stay switched on.
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 75
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Without watching the video I would assume it is similar in purpose to the weak jab that Floyd sometimes leads with to get the opponent to react (they often try and counter that jab) but Floyd then performs a pull-counter and lands a real solid jab on an opponent coming forward. I'm sure other fighters do it too, but this was the example that came to mind.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,585
vCash: 174
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
He is setting a trap. Looking to make the other guy react to it, and then counter.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 7,208
vCash: 248
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Cuban fighters do it a lot. When an opponent is hesitant to throw, those punches are put out to get the opponent to throw something. So then there is something to counter. It's also used to measure distance and aides with timing.
You want to be careful with it if you're not a quick, reflex sort of fighter.
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the laptop in notts england
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
He is setting a trap. Looking to make the other guy react to it, and then counter.

YEP (He is setting a trap) well said ,,its all about the counter shot
123ko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 750
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
If anyone is a fan of guillermo rigondeaux then you should have noticed this before because he does this in all of his fights and I really dont know why? Some commentators even commented on this but no real insight on it. Its not like a typical feint, he throws a half way punch of some sort (a lot with his straight left) almost in slow motion/half speed...sometimes he comes off with something right after and sometimes not.
A perfect quick example would be right here at around 3:15
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Would this be good to start doing? What are the pros and cons of this? As myself a southpaw, I have a few fights (no begginer) I was looking to add this to my game but first I need to know why he does this

Thats just a quick example but if you watch any of his recent fights he does this thru out the bout
He's done it since the amateurs. Whatever it is, it seems to throw people off because they can't see his punches.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Boxmaster
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,778
vCash: 750
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_40 View Post
Noticed it but idk...rigo is a g tho
If you try to time him as a counter puncher when he throws those feints he can counter your counter. Roy Jones used to do stuff like that too, sticking his hands out.
Boxmaster is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Taylor2010
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 571
vCash: 100
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Note elbow after the punch. Dirty tactics blessed by Jesus.
Taylor2010 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 949
vCash: 500
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

With any feint, watch what the opponent does immediately after. Or get in the mirror and feint yourself, see what your reaction would be to the feint. That's how you learn what reaction to expect when you do it to somebody else.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: on the laptop in notts england
Posts: 322
vCash: 500
Default Re: unusual feint by Rigondeaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
get in the mirror and feint yourself, see what your reaction would be to the feint. That's how you learn what reaction to expect when you do it to somebody else.

ha ha in the mirror ,,,a feint only works when its not expected ,then you get a reaction ,,you can't feint yourself in the mirror,,thats funny

your probably on about the counter but the man in the mirror don't wonner fight back
123ko is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013