boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: cleveland williams vs earnie shavers who wins and why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowcol View Post
I still consider that fight an anamoly.
Dunno, feather fisted Ellis went within a whisker of doing the same thing.
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 01:49 AM   #17
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cleveland would win late, but Earnie might floor him before it's over, and it would be a thriller while it lasted.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 AM   #18
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
I think Williams would land first and that'd be that. But it's really either or.
This is my line of thinking.
janitor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #19
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I would lean with Shavers because Williams was a bit chinny and that is a bad thing to bring into the ring with Shavers. Earnie got stopped often but mainly because he gassed but these type of fights -Shavers-Satterfield would be hard as well to make an accurate pick. I think Earnie may have had the better chin of the 3 but was usually tired by the 10th round but still had power. In a fast paced bout Shavers got tired of throwing the Big right hand he had
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

I'll take Shavers by KO, but both get rocked.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM   #21
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Shavers stopped Jimmy Young KO3, Jimmy Ellis KO1, Ken Norton KO1, Joe Bugner KO2, and others. He also drew with Jimmy Young.

He lost a close decision to a past prime but still good Ali. He lost a clear decision to Holmes. In a rematch he dropped Holmes but was stopped in the 11th round. He dropped Lyle but was stopped in the 6th round.

He was stopped by Stander (KO5) early in his career and later on by Quarry in somewhat of a shocker (LKOby1).

Williams stopped Terrell in their first fight but lost a decision in their rematch. He fought Machen to a draw. He didn't give Liston x2 (KO3 and KO2) or Ali (KO3) much of a fight.

He was also stopped by Bob Satterfield (KO2).
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #22
heizenberg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I feel like Williams had overall the better hand speed and combinations which leads me to favor him to take Shavers out early in this battle between punchers . Williams wasn't the hardest guy to hit which gives Shavers a very good punchers chance.
heizenberg is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2015, 11:34 PM   #23
swagdelfadeel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This is a great match-up. Both fighters are among the hardest punchers in history. However, neither was ever a very good boxer. Judging by the lossess, suffered by both men, I'd have to give the edge to Williams. Shavers is the harder puncher but that's like listing him at 100, where Williams would be less but still above 95. Either man could knock most heavyweights out.

This eliminates the edge in power. However, you must next consider each's ability to take a punch, particularly each other's. I think Shavers has the slightly better chin. However, Williams has a clear edge in stamina.

Given this information, Shavers would have to stop Williams early. Shavers is a decent boxer and makes good use of his jab. So does Willaims, who has 3 inches in height and better range. Reach wouldn't be a factor. Shavers has long arms and they're nearly equal there.

It's unlikely that Shavers could stop Willaims early. He suffered fewer prime losses than Shavers did but he was never the same after being shot 5 times in the abdomin. Shavers didn't pace himself early in his career but that improved a bit when he fought ALI and, later, Holmes.

Larry Holmes survived Shavers' bombs and succeeded to pick him apart until Shavers could no longer defend himself. Williams wouldn't be able to do the same. Still, he'd survive until the latter rounds, where the fight becomes sloppy because both men are exausted.

Williams retains his power late. For all his power, Shavers' sub-par stamina lets him down in the later rounds. It's easy to point out that Shavers went the distance with ALI and gave Holmes life and death. However, neither is hitting Shavers as hard as Williams would hit him.

Williams by TKO in 11.
swagdelfadeel is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2015, 03:33 AM   #24
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
A bit of a toss-up with the edge going to the better boxing talent in Williams, as opposed to the more renowned puncher in Shavers, for me. But a toss-up.
I agree, definitely not a fight to bet on unless you are opting for a stoppage regardless of the winner.

As the faster man and better boxer , I give a gnat's **** advantage to Williams .
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 AM   #25
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Whilst not a heavy duty banger Ellis had enough pop to floor Bonavena twice.I wouldn't call him "feather fisted".
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 AM   #26
Boxed Ears
Talent Scout
East Side VIP

vCash: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Whilst not a heavy duty banger Ellis had enough pop to floor Bonavena twice.I wouldn't call him "feather fisted".
Me either. Maybe not puncher for a heavyweight but considering his frame, a pretty damned good right hand on him when he wanted it.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #27
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post

Jimmy Ellis had a well known sneaky right hand and could crack, I had ringside seat to the Ellis-Shavers fight and it ended quick but was exciting. Shavers got wobbled and fell back to the corner but rebounded with a right that lifted Ellis up and out. Earnie had better wins than Big Cat, KO's over Norton and Ellis and had Ron Lyle, Mercado and Holmes on the Floor even in losses. He also stopped a very green Jimmy Young but drew in a rematch that most felt the 13+ fight Young won.

Earnie lost more than he won but at least showed his power more than once in the pro ring but he was also hard to bank on, losing to Stander and Bob Stallings. I still pick him over Big Cat but would not bet unless the odds were inviting
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum