Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM   #766
cutthroat22

vCash: 213
Default Re: Bodybuilder/model picks on twerps plus nutrition,experience, fitness advice share

jdsm I've got that stair run in 9 days so I'm gonna start running for a bit. I'll probably do a day at the gym a day cardio then repeat and have Sunday off. What split would you reccomend for the gym?
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #767
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Bodybuilder/model picks on twerps plus nutrition,experience, fitness advice share

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

0:23:45 in and watch for the throw its my favirote.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #768
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

How do reckon judo would do against a bjj practitioner or a wrestler bumpy? Similar levels and weight. Looks like judo has little ground game, but the initial grappling to get them to the ground?
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #769
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
How do reckon judo would do against a bjj practitioner or a wrestler bumpy? Similar levels and weight. Looks like judo has little ground game, but the initial grappling to get them to the ground?
There is actually alot of groundwork done in judo practice, but in actual competition you arent aloud to work it much, the emphasis is on throwing as its more pleasing to a judo audience, and also if you land uki on his back that is ippon and the fights over. You can however win by sumbmission or pin too but as you might know as soon as someone is thrown they quickly lie flat and cover there neck making it very difficult to actually do anything with them, often resulting in them being stood up. Judo is like 75% standing 25% groundwork, whereas BJJ is like 80% groundowork 20% standing for example.

In terms of how they match up against each other, Judo vs BJJ, the judoka is almost certainly gonna throw and earn himself a dominant posistion, and altough we do groundwork we dont do or know nearly as much as BJJ guys who do guillotine chokes heel hooks etc, which in judo are a illegal. So I'd say it can go either once they're down, a Judo guy may just choose to pin him down and tire im out and then go for a armbar or something. But certainly he's at risk of getting rolled and subbed by the BJJ guy all the time. 50/50 imo as the Judo dude will not likely land on his back, if he did then the BJJ guy would mess im up! Basically advantage judoka while standing, advantage BJJ on the ground.

In MMA though definately BJJ is more useful as you dont wear a gi and they practice that often wheras in judo you don't. You learn so many more chokes etc in BJJ and you can sub a guy from any angle on you're back or on top. A judo throw on matts is not gonna stop your opponent, just give you a dominant position from there you have to know how to sub a guy effectively.

Judo vs wrestling, I'd give to te wrestler, in judo you cant attack the legs directly like a shoot in wrestling, you have to apply you're throw only then can you asisst it by grabbing the legs, and even that has been banned from competition now. A wrestlers stance makes it almost impossible to take them down with judo. So pretty much a wrestler is gonna shoot for the judo guy, and most likely take him down and land on top in dominant position, there it would probably be 50/50 as to who subs or pins but I'd favour the wrestler.

In terms of pysical attributes of the 3 and assuming they are all world class, definately wrestlers and judokas are beasts pysically as the demands are so much different to BJJ (they have to basically pick up a man and throw him on his back) BJJ as a sport, most of the time dont bother with any standing and they go straight to the ground where its more about technique, leverage and flexibility.

For MMA, wrestling and BJJ.

Judo vs BJJ = 50/50

Judo vs Wrestling = Wrestling
Old 02-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #770
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Interesting read. I was watching some videos and there's a lot of examples of judo guys winning against bjj in bjj tournaments! Like you said, every time judo got in a dominant position and went from there. I was unaware of the ground game in judo, thought it was purely throw them and try get them on their back.
I want to take up a martial art but not sure which, was leaning to muay thai as I like striking but the technical grappling work in judo/bjj is very interesting.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #771
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Interesting read. I was watching some videos and there's a lot of examples of judo guys winning against bjj in bjj tournaments! Like you said, every time judo got in a dominant position and went from there. I was unaware of the ground game in judo, thought it was purely throw them and try get them on their back.
I want to take up a martial art but not sure which, was leaning to muay thai as I like striking but the technical grappling work in judo/bjj is very interesting.
Two of the greatest Judoka and BJJ guys ever once went against each other, Kimura, and one of the Gracie family members, Kimura won I think but he did have a weight advantage. My club does 50/50 standing/ground which is great, but competition is nothing like that and you're right its all about getting ippon by throwing them on their back.

Yeah Muay thai looks awsome, the most effective stand up style easily.
Where do you live? If you are in the sticks you may struggle to find a BJJ club, Wheras Judo is more easily found, if you stopped Muay thai you could train both judo and BJJ they compliment each other very well, but that might not be convinient for you. I'd say if you do stick with Muay thai then if you have the option try both, but I think BJJ would be more useful as you can take someone down pretty effectively with a Muay thai knee or kick or elbow or whatever!

Oh and by they way neither bjj or judo clubs I've been to ever train kata which is when you practice movements without a partner, its always proper practical stuff. I think only Karate, and Kung Fu guys practice like that.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #772
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There's more bjj gyms where I live than anything else it seems. I've always wanted to wrestle but there's no where that does it. I love how a good wrestler will dominate pretty much any art on the ground, maybe won't choke you out or grab an arm bar but you sure aren't getting up anytime soon
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #773
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
There is actually alot of groundwork done in judo practice, but in actual competition you arent aloud to work it much, the emphasis is on throwing as its more pleasing to a judo audience, and also if you land uki on his back that is ippon and the fights over. You can however win by sumbmission or pin too but as you might know as soon as someone is thrown they quickly lie flat and cover there neck making it very difficult to actually do anything with them, often resulting in them being stood up. Judo is like 75% standing 25% groundwork, whereas BJJ is like 80% groundowork 20% standing for example.

In terms of how they match up against each other, Judo vs BJJ, the judoka is almost certainly gonna throw and earn himself a dominant posistion, and altough we do groundwork we dont do or know nearly as much as BJJ guys who do guillotine chokes heel hooks etc, which in judo are a illegal. So I'd say it can go either once they're down, a Judo guy may just choose to pin him down and tire im out and then go for a armbar or something. But certainly he's at risk of getting rolled and subbed by the BJJ guy all the time. 50/50 imo as the Judo dude will not likely land on his back, if he did then the BJJ guy would mess im up! Basically advantage judoka while standing, advantage BJJ on the ground.

In MMA though definately BJJ is more useful as you dont wear a gi and they practice that often wheras in judo you don't. You learn so many more chokes etc in BJJ and you can sub a guy from any angle on you're back or on top. A judo throw on matts is not gonna stop your opponent, just give you a dominant position from there you have to know how to sub a guy effectively.

Judo vs wrestling, I'd give to te wrestler, in judo you cant attack the legs directly like a shoot in wrestling, you have to apply you're throw only then can you asisst it by grabbing the legs, and even that has been banned from competition now. A wrestlers stance makes it almost impossible to take them down with judo. So pretty much a wrestler is gonna shoot for the judo guy, and most likely take him down and land on top in dominant position, there it would probably be 50/50 as to who subs or pins but I'd favour the wrestler.

In terms of pysical attributes of the 3 and assuming they are all world class, definately wrestlers and judokas are beasts pysically as the demands are so much different to BJJ (they have to basically pick up a man and throw him on his back) BJJ as a sport, most of the time dont bother with any standing and they go straight to the ground where its more about technique, leverage and flexibility.

For MMA, wrestling and BJJ.

Judo vs BJJ = 50/50

Judo vs Wrestling = Wrestling
Back in the 80s before mma kicked up they did a grapplers vs grapplers thing.....pure judo guys destroyed wresters, because the wrester knew no submissions on the ground....

now a cross trained wrestler..who has worked bjj submissions into his came (like a wrestler who now fights mma) sure in that case I will go wrestling.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #774
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Two of the greatest Judoka and BJJ guys ever once went against each other, Kimura, and one of the Gracie family members, Kimura won I think but he did have a weight advantage. My club does 50/50 standing/ground which is great, but competition is nothing like that and you're right its all about getting ippon by throwing them on their back.

Yeah Muay thai looks awsome, the most effective stand up style easily.
Where do you live? If you are in the sticks you may struggle to find a BJJ club, Wheras Judo is more easily found, if you stopped Muay thai you could train both judo and BJJ they compliment each other very well, but that might not be convinient for you. I'd say if you do stick with Muay thai then if you have the option try both, but I think BJJ would be more useful as you can take someone down pretty effectively with a Muay thai knee or kick or elbow or whatever!

Oh and by they way neither bjj or judo clubs I've been to ever train kata which is when you practice movements without a partner, its always proper practical stuff. I think only Karate, and Kung Fu guys practice like that.
i think its hard to practice a arm bar without a actual arm..but they will practice shoots for a takedown....and they will practice shrimping on the ground and things like that.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #775
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
i think its hard to practice a arm bar without a actual arm..but they will practice shoots for a takedown....and they will practice shrimping on the ground and things like that.
Sorry mate, you're post makes no sense to me? And I dont get how the bold relates to you're post either?

Edit: Sorry just seen your above post. I agree a pure wrestler doesn't know much in the way of subs, but these days most of them cross train with sub wrestling and BJJ.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #776
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
There's more bjj gyms where I live than anything else it seems. I've always wanted to wrestle but there's no where that does it. I love how a good wrestler will dominate pretty much any art on the ground, maybe won't choke you out or grab an arm bar but you sure aren't getting up anytime soon
Yeah, and and a perfect example of that is Sonnen v Silva, those top wrestlers are ****ing badass and tough as nails!

If you get fully thrown by a powerful wrestler of Judoka in a street fight you are going to the morgue.

Last edited by BUMPY KNUCKLES; 02-15-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #777
cutthroat22

Found a good deal on mutant mass 6.8kg bag for 43quid posted. That's a tenner cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #778
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Craig what are you're farts like? Mine smell ****ing dreadful, like people can't believe how bad they smell lol.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #779
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Smudger is offline  Top
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #780
cutthroat22

Quote:
Craig what are you're farts like? Mine smell ****ing dreadful, like people can't believe how bad they smell lol.
when I've had a few weight gainers they are ****ing terrible! The guy I workout with has the same ones as me and he will just fart and wait for peoples reactions, it's hilarious.

Quote:

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing