Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #31
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Lennox Lewis vs. Larry Holmes

Lewis had overrated power

McCall said he wasnt close to being the hardest puncher he fought and was the 5th hardest at best

Non Tokyo Buster Douglas hit harder than that cheap british glass
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #32
Vanboxingfan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post

McCall said he wasnt close to being the hardest puncher he fought and was the 5th hardest at best

Ya calling him cheap british glass sure helps your argument.
Vanboxingfan is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #33
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lewis kicks over rated Holmes butt all over KO 8rds
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527

Holmes get's Golota'd.
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #35
Azzer85
ATG
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
Holmes get's Golota'd.
Ray Mercer doesnt think so
Azzer85 is online now  Top
Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #36
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Could Lewis hurt Holmes ? I think the answer is YES. Was the Holmes that fought tyson PRIME Holmes ? NO. Holmes was way faster and way more AGILE in his PRIME. I think the truth that Larry was so damned good after his PRIME really mixes alot of the younger boxing fans up. His technique and ring experience was so good he could win fights well beyond his prime. The very first few rounds with Tyson we see HOW GOOD Holmes COULD have been against Tyson in his prime. Holmes in that fight created a BLUEPRINT of one method to beat a PRIME Tyson dispite getting blasted out a few rounds later as in my opinion Holmes REFLEXEs and AGILITY were NOT what they once used to be at that point. That said i am not saying a PRIME Holmes would of beaten Tyson, simply that Prime Holmes was superiour to the Holmes that fought Tyson.

Regardless, i still have to take a PRIME LEWIS. Lewis did so well for a REASON. For a GIANT of a HEAVYWEIGHT Lewis was athletically very SOUND. Would be a HARD fight for Lewis for sure. Lewis in my OPINION would hurt Holmes but would have HUGE TROUBLE finishing him and would be in his greatest danger trying to finish Holmes and why? Because of Holmes ability to FIGHT WELL when hurt and recover witch was something special. Thus if Lewis gases without taking Holmes out i see Holmes having a good chance to beat Lewis by decision. If Lewis however, comes with this in mind IMO i see Lewis winning a hard fought decision against Holmes while hurting Holmes a few times and winning via far more big power shots even if Lewis looses a good few rounds here and there with LESS activity.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #37
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post

mccall said also that bert cooper did hit harder than tyson so i suppose that you will agree with it too.
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Old 05-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #38
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

lewis would beat holmes by decision or late tko. holmes was fighting for his life against spoon please... lewis was bigger,stronger,harder puncher , he had better skill than spoon, he was more aggressive, and holmes did not have the power enough to knock lewis out with a lucky punch... lewis was better h2h.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #39
fidds
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Lewis on his best day beats anyone h2h monster
fidds is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #40
WABCBoxer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime View Post
For what it's worth: Holmes's opinion of Lennox in "Against the Odds":

"(Lennox Lewis) is a joke--a big, athletic guy who's strictly a front runner. Put him in against a fighter who stands up to him--like, say, Ray Mercer, did--and Lewis is exposed as a man who doesn't like a real fight. Lennox Lewis is just a heavyweight wanna-be.

Hell, he stopped by to see me in Easton once and, when I asked him why he wouldn't fight me, he said: 'I can't give you a fight. You got too good a jab. Teach me the jab.' 'I don't wanna teach you,' I told him. 'I wanna fight you.' 'Nah,' he said. 'I don't wanna mess with that jab.' If the roles had been reversed...if I were the young kid and he were the old champ challenging me, I'd have told him: 'Bring me the money and I'll kick your ass.'"
GREAT post! Larry is so right. Spot on.
WABCBoxer is offline  Top
Old 05-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #41
WABCBoxer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Lennox aged better than Larry, but a prime Holmes (79-80) beats any version of Lewis.
WABCBoxer is offline  Top
Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

McCall is one of the few fighters I'd trust the word of, regarding whom he thinks hit him the hardest, since he's never even come close to going down.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #43
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WABCBoxer View Post
Lennox aged better than Larry, but a prime Holmes (79-80) beats any version of Lewis.

Even that era of Larry is vulnerable. Were you alive and following the sport when the Weaver fight took place? He was such an underdog, the bout couldn't be televised. You couldn't even place a bet on the bout. That's how big of a mismatch the fight was considered to be. Weaver had been stopped by both Bobicks and a few other guy's.

But going into that bout, it was supposed to be as competitive as the Zanon fight. 79 also saw Larry climbing off the deck against an opponent he flat out dominated previously.

So the guy's in that 79-80 timeframe Larry did look good against was not stellar competition. Nobody thought much of Evangelista. It was hard to believe the guy was getting another title shot. Zanon was even worse than that somehow and and was coming off a ko loss to a retired Jerry Quarry. Occasio was a novice small heavy whose credentials were based solely on the Young upset. And even that wasn't exactly a Foreman-Frazier result to secure a title bout.

Then you throw in Berbick, who was coming in after a 1 round blowout loss to Mercado. Old Ali who had been beaten by Leon Spinks and then had to go 15 to beat a Leon Spinks in a rematch.

So maybe those were Larry's best years, but that is certainly no minefield he's walking through as far as opposition goes. It doesn't get any easier.

Not really much of a gauge in the quality of opposition department to determine a fighter's greatness when you look closely at it.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #44
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
McCall is one of the few fighters I'd trust the word of, regarding whom he thinks hit him the hardest, since he's never even come close to going down.
so bert cooper is harder puncher than tyson and lewis, period
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #45
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_hands View Post
so bert cooper is harder puncher than tyson and lewis, period
I'd say Cooper was a hell of a banger. Big time power for sure.

Lennox and Tyson were better at landing their shots though, and with more precision.
Absolutely! is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum