Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #46
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Top Ten Heaviest Heavyweight Punchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Louis most definatley hit harder than Tyson, ummmm yeah so did Tysons buddy in his 30's he was facing cans and got a real shot and couldn't do anything
I disagree. Tyson had beastly one punch power and routinely stopped or dropped very large durable men with one or two shots. Louis compiled most of his knockouts over light heavyweights and cruiser weights, and whilst sharp was nowhere near as heavy or combustive a puncher as Tyson. That's fairly evident from the video footage of their fights.

I sometimes wonder why Tyson's power gets so overlooked on threads like these. Is it a backlash to his rabid fanboys from back in the day, or do people genuinely think he wasn't an absolutely devastating puncher? I mean how anyone can sanely rank Max Baer over him just boggles the mind.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #47
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
I disagree. Tyson had beastly one punch power and routinely stopped or dropped very large durable men with one or two shots. Louis compiled most of his knockouts over light heavyweights and cruiser weights, and whilst sharp was nowhere near as heavy or combustive a puncher as Tyson. That's fairly evident from the video footage of their fights.

I sometimes wonder why Tyson's power gets so overlooked on threads like these. Is it a backlash to his rabid fanboys from back in the day, or do people genuinely think he wasn't an absolutely devastating puncher? I mean how anyone can sanely rank Max Baer over him just boggles the mind.
Isn't it the case for both Louis and Tyson, that what they had was 40% power and 60% technique?

I doubt that either was literaly the hardest puncher of their era in terms of measured kinetic energy.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #48
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Isn't it the case for both Louis and Tyson, that what they had was 40% power and 60% technique?

I doubt that either was literaly the hardest puncher of their era in terms of measured kinetic energy.
I'd say with Tyson there was a strong physical element there. The man was just insanely explosive. Coupled with his excellent technique and accuracy and you had the puncher you had. Louis was much more technique based, it seems, and whilst fast, lacked the sheer kinetic oomph behind his punches that Tyson possessed. He was also, generally, fighting against smaller opponents than Tyson did, which has to factor into the argument somewhere (Carnera and Baer are just not a big enough body of evidence for allowing him to compete on even terms with Tyson who routinely fought and stopped large 220+ men).

Was either man the hardest puncher of his era? With Tyson I'd say there's a reasonable case for saying so. In Louis's case, perhaps Baer or one of the big boys would register harder in pure brute force.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum