Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: wlad v dempsey
wlad wins 81 55.86%
dempsey wins 64 44.14%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #166
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 86
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Didn't Demsey refuse to fight Langford..
dinovelvet is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #167
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Tell that the Wills and Greb.
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #168
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The fact that Dempsey goes into the Willard fight swinging from the fences like some tough man competitor somehow convinces people here that he has a chance against a modern, refined, boxing robot who operates an almost seamless safety first approach that has carried him through 15 or so title fights, stopping 11 of his opponents while the balance of proof for Dempsey is stumble bums like Firpo, former flyweights like Carpentier and the infirmed like Miske.

Bravo, Classicists. Bravo.
With his power he has a chance against anyone.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #169
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
With his power he has a chance against anyone.
i think his one punch power gets a bit overrated. it was speed and ferocity that did it. that's what it looks like on film and that's what jack sharkey said. i'm sure he'd hit wlad but he'd be reduced to single digit punches by the fourth...and dempsey didn't have the raw power to get it done with that connect rate
Jorodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #170
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
The fact that Dempsey goes into the Willard fight swinging from the fences like some tough man competitor somehow convinces people here that he has a chance against a modern, refined, boxing robot who operates an almost seamless safety first approach that has carried him through 15 or so title fights, stopping 11 of his opponents while the balance of proof for Dempsey is stumble bums like Firpo, former flyweights like Carpentier and the infirmed like Miske.

Bravo, Classicists. Bravo.
he is swinging like a tough man competitor after willard is hurt bad.....his initial left hook off the dempsey roll is smooth as goose shit.


Sanders looked pretty ****ing wild while he was knocking Wlad around the ring like a ****ing pinata











BORKED


yes i know..sanders is bigger than dempsey..he still looks sloppy as **** after wlad is hurt.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #171
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
i think his one punch power gets a bit overrated. it was speed and ferocity that did it. that's what it looks like on film and that's what jack sharkey said. i'm sure he'd hit wlad but he'd be reduced to single digit punches by the fourth...and dempsey didn't have the raw power to get it done with that connect rate
I think he does have the power to change the fight with one punch. Brewster got the shit kicked out of him till that left hook to the body. Sanders was getting the worse of the fight until he landed that counter as well. He will have to work at a pace he is not comfortable with and as he tires and starts to drop his hands, starts to lose a step of pace he will be more susceptible to punishment.

For me the thing that makes me pick wlad is that I think Dempsey is too open to the right hand and I don't think he could slip wlads jab to get inside. I don't think he has the technique to get him into punching range. If I did then I would change my mind.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #172
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
he is swinging like a tough man competitor after willard is hurt bad.....his initial left hook off the dempsey roll is smooth as goose shit.


Sanders looked pretty ****ing wild while he was knocking Wlad around the ring like a ****ing pinata

yes i know..sanders is bigger than dempsey..he still looks sloppy as **** after wlad is hurt.
Sanders actually fights a bit like Dempsey at times, very straight backed, throwing quick somewhat crude looking shots from the hips.

He doesn't have the low slung bobbing swaying movement of course, but when he goes on the attack there are distinct similarities.

Harsh to say he looks sloppy as **** though. Sanders could be very sloppy, but his shots here are crisp and compact. He's certainly no Max Baer in the so crude it's hilarious category.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #173
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

To be fair Sanders only got reckless after he landed the counter that ****ed wlads world up. Wlad was stumbling around trying to clinch and sanders was able to throw a multitude of shots with very little coming back him.

Had Wlad been able to hurt Sanders and stop him wading in he would likely have been more cautious.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #174
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
To be fair Sanders only got reckless after he landed the counter that ****ed wlads world up. Wlad was stumbling around trying to clinch and sanders was able to throw a multitude of shots with very little coming back him.

Had Wlad been able to hurt Sanders and stop him wading in he would likely have been more cautious.
Yeah i know...when a guy is staggering around good to get knocked out and not looking like he is able to punch back its not the worst thing in the world to go a bit wild and load up on some shots. and yes he did look decently compact before he hurt Wlad...same as Dempsey looked compact before he hurt Willard..hence my point.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #175
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: England, Up North
Posts: 22,605
vCash: 330
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
Yeah i know...when a guy is staggering around good to get knocked out and not looking like he is able to punch back its not the worst thing in the world to go a bit wild and load up on some shots. and yes he did look decently compact before he hurt Wlad...same as Dempsey looked compact before he hurt Willard..hence my point.
Given wlads size and frame you should go in swinging when he's hurt as his legs become a mess and his balance is all over the place, he has a lot of target to hit that he can't effectively protect and his lack of durability makes it tough for him to weather a storm.

Brewster was the same after landing that left hook to the body, he saw the hurt in his eyes and swung for the fences till that left hook landed on the chin.

Being reckless in your attack will get the majority of people knocked out by wlad but once he's on queer street it seems the safest option for me.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #176
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: A cut above my left nose
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Given wlads size and frame you should go in swinging when he's hurt as his legs become a mess and his balance is all over the place, he has a lot of target to hit that he can't effectively protect and his lack of durability makes it tough for him to weather a storm.

Brewster was the same after landing that left hook to the body, he saw the hurt in his eyes and swung for the fences till that left hook landed on the chin.

Being reckless in your attack will get the majority of people knocked out by wlad but once he's on queer street it seems the safest option for me.
He's got a very ingrained clinch reflex though. Sloppy aggression might overwhelm him but it might equally well result in you getting tied up and gassed out, which would not be a good place to find yourself in. Sharp, educated combos with a lot of rough stuff on the inside seems the way to go. Don't let him breath, don't let him reset.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #177
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Garden State
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Comparing jack Dempsey considered the greatest hwt of all time for 50 years and considered the best by such astute boxing professionals as Arcel, Stillman and Tunney just to name a few to an absolute nothing like Sanders is close to an all time low. Just incredible.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #178
heavy_hands
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

that first thing that i think is that wladimir is much bigger, stronger, more athletic, much more modern ...but with these old school tough mother****ers who knows, it is all speculation. maybe wladimir would kill him like an insect or maybe dempsey would show how much tough were the old school fighters and would knock him out with a left hook
heavy_hands is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #179
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,697
vCash: 1166
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Any changes in this one ? After Wlad´s last fight ?
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #180
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wlad v Dempsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Yea but Willard must be the fittest HW champ in history I mean he can stand up for 20 rounds, Wlad can only do 2:00min 800m intervals
Very impressive stuff.
Where did you see Wladimir doing that ?
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013