Old 03-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #31
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: rees macca could joe be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
Over the last couple of weeks there have been two fights featuring a skilled older veteran vs younger guy who wins by having a much greater output than his opponents. Nate Campbell beat Juan Diaz up badly and Casamayor stopped Kadsidis. This has lead me to believe it isn't as obvious a Calzaghe victory as I initially thought.
A Calzaghe victory has never been a certainty. But Joe is definitly the favoruite based on his current run and youth in comparison to Hopkins. It must be noted that Hopkins records against southpaws is exemplary. He is one of the best current active fighters that knows how to handle southpaws.Bearing in mind Joe is quite easy to hit it should be an interesting affair.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2008, 03:46 PM   #32
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike464
Over the last couple of weeks there have been two fights featuring a skilled older veteran vs younger guy who wins by having a much greater output than his opponents. Nate Campbell beat Juan Diaz up badly and Casamayor stopped Kadsidis. This has lead me to believe it isn't as obvious a Calzaghe victory as I initially thought.
You can;t compare them to Calzaghe.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 03:50 PM   #33
mike464
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You can't compare Katsidis with Calzaghe but I think Juan Diaz makes a fair comparison. Both have high outputs and have had a couple of decent wins.
mike464 is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #34
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Calzaghe's not that one dimensional.

He can't be compared to Diaz.

Your one dimensional to be judging off resume too much.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #35
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This is no way gonna be an easy fight for Joe, Hopkins has that ring savvy and experience that makes it a hard fight for anybody, even in Bernards defeats it hasnt been easy for his opponent, i think this will be Joes hardest fight, Bernard gets dirty, he uses head, elbows and low blows just like all good experienced fighters, im hoping for a Joe win but hes taking on a wily old pro, not a 'green' Lacy or Kessler, im expecting a Calzaghe win on points but im only thinking about a 2 or 3 point margin after a very cagey fight .......... We all know what Hopkins is gonna do, hes gonna go defensive from the 1st bell, lead Joe on, defend with his defensive shoulder stance and try and land some big counters, as ever with Hopkins this is gonna be a dull fight but can Hopkins get the better of it, my heart says Joe but im gonna look out for the bookies odds on Hopkins and if they are nice and 'patriotic' like they always are with Brit fighters im gonna stick a tenner on Hopkins to outsmart Joe ....
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #36
Axl_Nose
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
Calzaghe's not that one dimensional.

He can't be compared to Diaz.

Your one dimensional to be judging off resume too much.
Diaz is not 1 dimensional, he just struggled against a fine boxer, hes still a fantastic fighter who will be a champion again ..... 90% of the time good fighters will lose to good boxers because after 3 or 4 rounds the boxer finds a rhythm and the fighter is predictable, boxers are far more adaptable and have more options than straight up fighters, but the fighters always have a punchers chance, i just think Diaz came up against an experienced guy who did a job on him, Diaz needs to learn from this and learn a plan B, other great fighters never had a plan B if things werent goin they're way, e.g. Foreman, Tyson, Chavez
Axl_Nose is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #37
The taff
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc
lol here come the 'I told ya so' boys!

If you turn a domestic level super feather into a WBA light welter champion you deserve your props. Rees was going to lose his belt eventually but the fact that he won it anyway is amazing. When he drops weight he could become a very classy operator. As for him not making weight that has to be down to Rees' love of chocolate hobnobs rather than Enzos ability to torture him in training.

Pryce is still fighting at a competent level when he was dismissed YEARS ago!

He still has the best fighter in Britain.

And Maccarinelli could have had Eddie Futch in his corner, Haye would have still knocked him out. Chances are Big Mac will win a world title again.

The Newbridge gym isnt like the kronk gym or Freddie Roachs gym where the best talent from around the world flock there, these guys come from the same small population, the fact that they have achieved the amount of success they have is outstanding and dont kid yourself into thinkning it has nothing to do with Enzo Calzaghe.

He is an arrogant, loud,stuttering, lil gob shite, but still one of the very best trainers in the world...in fact he is trainer of the year!
I couldn't agree more - Good post
The taff is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:23 AM   #38
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

There is no doubt losing two of your three world champs in the space of a fortnight is a blow to the Enzo Calzaghe stable.

Another of their fighters, Kerry Hope, lost too.

Not a particularly good omen before Joe's fight with Hopkins.
elle is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #39
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl_Nose
Diaz is not 1 dimensional, he just struggled against a fine boxer, hes still a fantastic fighter who will be a champion again ..... 90% of the time good fighters will lose to good boxers because after 3 or 4 rounds the boxer finds a rhythm and the fighter is predictable, boxers are far more adaptable and have more options than straight up fighters, but the fighters always have a punchers chance, i just think Diaz came up against an experienced guy who did a job on him, Diaz needs to learn from this and learn a plan B, other great fighters never had a plan B if things werent goin they're way, e.g. Foreman, Tyson, Chavez
He's comparing Calzaghe to a Lightweight though who doesn't box like Joe.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #40
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey
hopkins is very good, however, joe aint your average southpaw. southies tend to throw straight lefts and circle onto the orthodox fighters jab, joe goes both ways and hooks with the right more than most wrong uns.
the other thing is how much b hop has left. the fight with tarver was like watching two old men.
that said, i agree, this will be a tough one for joe, although not as tough as kessler imo.
Joe is no ordinary Joe of that there is no doubt but Hopkins is no slouch either. Joe will be facing the best fighter he has ever faced and the only fighter he has faced who can really be considered a great fighter. Kessler like Eubank was a good fighter with limitations. Hopkins has beaten all types of southpaws and he has Joe's number.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #41
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

Hopkins has looked bad vs guys not as good as Joe and when you lose to Jermain Taylor and have a close fight with an overweight Winky Wright, then Calzaghe Is going to not have a hard time beating you.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum