Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #241
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
The guy landed on nothing but the arms and gloves of a 60 year old man, tried to call time out mid fight after catching a few shots, ran out of the ring, then jumped back in and swung on a guy who had his back turned, then cowered in the corner like a bitch while a guy wailed on him, then had the nerve to promote the video like he won. This is the guy I'm being compared to.

I really have become a pariah on here...
I didn't say he wasn't a complete coward/dickhead, he definitely is. But he has better boxing movement than you.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #242
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

You don't cross your feet when you circle, which is good. Try staying on your toes and being a bit more conservative. Movement isn't half bad. But you arm punch. You need to step with your punches and pivot, giving them snap. All you did that round was push a jab and throw an occasional looping right to the body. You need to step in, throw with conviction, maintain range, and not give up real estate by retreating so far out of range. You also need to work on drills that prepare you for punches coming at you. You seem to not know how to deal with that at all. You duck far too low at dangerous angles and then get stuck. You got clocked with a good one doing that. Be comfortable catching a jab, blocking a right, and slipping towards the outside right and left. The basics. Without it, you're going to keep backing into the ropes and eating straights down the middle, or whatever else your opponent feels like throwing at you when you duck down and compromise your defense. Shadowbox with this in mind and partner up for drills. Trade 1-2-3's and other combinations in turns, slowly at first, blocking each one. Change up the combo, then work on head movement, etc. It has to become instilled in you. You can't run away from the punches because they'll catch up to you if you do so.

With the way you seem to like to move, a straight right to the body could work wonders. But first, learn how to throw each punch correctly. Get it down. ASAP.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #243
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

I agree with what someone said earlier.. your coach is a dick.. Why did he just keep saying "take a knee, take a knee" when you were getting beat up? Why doesn't he teach you how to defend yourself, clinch, move your head, counter punch ect ect. If you are going to stay at this gym I would suggest talking to him after class about some of the things i've mentioned.

There's a lot of things you need to improve on but one thing you really really have to stop doing is dropping your head, the main reason for this is that you can't punch back from that position and it's obvious judging by your posture that you can't see what the other guy is throwing at you.

Also your jab and right hand are very uneffective because of your distance, you are throwing your shots from too far away I think this is because you are afraid to get countered, if you watch the video nearly all your right hands missed simply because your distance was incorrect. You can fix this on the heavy bag or pads if you concentrate on it.
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM   #244
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 253
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

why are you so scared to get hit? have confidence in your jab, and why the hell are you so stiff? loosen up, dont tell me your relaxed because you punch stiff armed and you wont get any power that way.

stop lunging, stance is too wide, you didnt double up on your jab at all, stop trying to put everything into each punch, throw combinations, your footwork is really bad it's all over the place, you'll find yourself falling over with a stance that wide.

you're still green

your headmovement has so many things wrong about it, learn the basics. You're so focused on being slick, why dont you just stay in the stance so you can punch back at all times.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #245
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,187
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Arm punchers always look stiff because there is a disconnect between their lower and upper body. They use their legs to step, then they try to stand still and balance while punching with their arms. Everytime someone like that throws a punch they throw themselves off balance, that's why beginners like tony80 try to adopt such a wide stance, to give themselves a larger base of support (because they need it). Very poor punching mechanics, I hope tony80 is lying about his experience and is still a noob because you wouldn't want those movement patterns being ingrained.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #246
Abraham
Textbook beauty
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cincinnati, baby!
Posts: 200
vCash: 646
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Mrtony80, you should stop posting videos. Visual advice will do you a lot better than reading all this text. I mean, I seriously doubt if you're going to be thinking about what we had to say the next time you get in there. I don't think your feet look half as bad as some of these guys are saying, but the way you throw your shot definitely needs work. If you're really just doing this for a film, you look good enough to fool people who don't know what to look for. Don't worry about the haters either, dude. That comes with the territory when posting on public forums.
Abraham is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #247
Abraham
Textbook beauty
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cincinnati, baby!
Posts: 200
vCash: 646
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
Alright, this video here shows my footwork, which, I think is, at the very least, a minor strength of mine. What do you guys think?

BORKED
This isnt abe, but his uncle. Former amateur. Ill try giving a little step by step critique. Okay, for the first 5 secs your movement looks good, although a bit wide. He throws a jab that you react to quickly, but you duck too low. He could have followed up and clocked you. You didn't have to react that strongly a slight slip would have done good. You then throw a jab to his body, and are leaving yourself completely exposed. He could have decapitated you with a left hook. When throwing a jab to the body, keep your right hand up, and lean slightly to the side. Never reach with it like you did. Also, pivot away faster after throwing it. Know when to throw it. It isnt a anytime punch.

Good slip and counter at 0:11. Just be faster with it. You also could have stepped in with a right hook to the body. You throw a good jab at 0:13. Stepped back out quickly. Good, if youre trying to be a mover. You follow that with a very weak, pointless to throw jab. At 0:25 he backs you up with a few shots. You dropped your guard and turned your head. Never do that!

You were doing a lot of bending at the waist to avoid shots at 2:00. Not bad, just don't get caught in a situation where you don't know where your opponent is. Your biggest problem seems to be that youre too worried about incoming shots when throwing your own. **** that shit. Youre going to get hit. The only way your going to learn and improve is by getting over that fear. The mechanics for someone afraid of counters will always look like, and have the effect of a beginner.

I wish i could show you some things in person. You seem to have the drive and heart for boxing. I see some potential. Hope i helped a bit. Keep truckin, man.
Abraham is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #248
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,870
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
Alright, this video here shows my footwork, which, I think is, at the very least, a minor strength of mine. What do you guys think?

BORKED
your footwork is decent but needs work you don't pivot really and you telegraph your jab with the way you step forward a bit with your lead foot before you throw,you need to stop poking with your punches and throwing arm punches, good punches should use the whole body to power them.you seem to just throw your punches to land not hurt and your a bit predictable especially with that jab to the body also double the jab.stop trying to be slick when pressured by leaning down and swaying your head it will just get you in trouble,you would be better sticking with a high guard and pivoting when presurred.
You should work on these combos on the bag
building the jab throw a jab, straight right, then 2 jabs, straight right, then 3 jabs , straight right and so on
throw a 1,2 then a left hook and pivot off to the left with your back foot
throw a jab to the body then a right to the head or a jab to the head and a right to the body try and make it one of move
also accept the fact your going to get punched in the head
pong is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #249
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

I was thinking pivot as well....honestly i would actually like to see heavybag footage..shadow boxing footage and mitt work footage.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #250
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 253
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
Mrtony80, you should stop posting videos. Visual advice will do you a lot better than reading all this text. I mean, I seriously doubt if you're going to be thinking about what we had to say the next time you get in there. I don't think your feet look half as bad as some of these guys are saying, but the way you throw your shot definitely needs work. If you're really just doing this for a film, you look good enough to fool people who don't know what to look for. Don't worry about the haters either, dude. That comes with the territory when posting on public forums.
he said he was at the intermediate level, so people are going to compare it to people that aren't green. unfortunately he looks green and at this point no advice online will help because he should be trying to learn the basics at the gym.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:24 AM   #251
mrtony80
Likes thick chicks
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In my own delusions...
Posts: 3,865
vCash: 314
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham View Post
This isnt abe, but his uncle. Former amateur. Ill try giving a little step by step critique. Okay, for the first 5 secs your movement looks good, although a bit wide. He throws a jab that you react to quickly, but you duck too low. He could have followed up and clocked you. You didn't have to react that strongly a slight slip would have done good. You then throw a jab to his body, and are leaving yourself completely exposed. He could have decapitated you with a left hook. When throwing a jab to the body, keep your right hand up, and lean slightly to the side. Never reach with it like you did. Also, pivot away faster after throwing it. Know when to throw it. It isnt a anytime punch.

Good slip and counter at 0:11. Just be faster with it. You also could have stepped in with a right hook to the body. You throw a good jab at 0:13. Stepped back out quickly. Good, if youre trying to be a mover. You follow that with a very weak, pointless to throw jab. At 0:25 he backs you up with a few shots. You dropped your guard and turned your head. Never do that!

You were doing a lot of bending at the waist to avoid shots at 2:00. Not bad, just don't get caught in a situation where you don't know where your opponent is. Your biggest problem seems to be that youre too worried about incoming shots when throwing your own. **** that shit. Youre going to get hit. The only way your going to learn and improve is by getting over that fear. The mechanics for someone afraid of counters will always look like, and have the effect of a beginner.

I wish i could show you some things in person. You seem to have the drive and heart for boxing. I see some potential. Hope i helped a bit. Keep truckin, man.
Thanks, man. I appreciate you taking the time to break it down. How was your amateur career?
mrtony80 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #252
Abraham
Textbook beauty
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cincinnati, baby!
Posts: 200
vCash: 646
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtony80 View Post
Thanks, man. I appreciate you taking the time to break it down. How was your amateur career?
That was uncle that wrote that. He was a damn good ammy. He has a shitload of trophies andmedals. He got hurt in the Marines and couldnt go pro.
Abraham is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 AM   #253
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 1306
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

I would say to get close to him with your good footwork and start going all out. Throwing all kind of punches, hooks, uppercuts, rights. Overwhelm him with your energy, youth and power.
xRedx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #254
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,738
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sparring vid. Tips?

Couple of Novices .[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013