Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Unhappy I am going to be getting my ass kicked on Friday

So I been helping train some of the guys at my local gym....but i don't really do much training on my own. I have been sparring...and looking good in sparring..but its been against a 13 year old 120 pounder (he does have allot of fights) and a 20 year old 165 pound kid who has been boxing on and off for two years but no fights (he has been boxing straight for 3 months). Also I do some sparring with some mma guys, and do well at that.

Well, Jeremiah Witherspoon has decided to part with Altoona Boxing and fight for Johnstown. We have a pro, Andres Taylor who he will spar most times (who normally trains in Pittsburgh with Tom Yanknello and Roy Jones and the fighters out that way)...but on Friday he is coming out and sparring in Johnstown, and Andres won't be here. He has been trying to get back on the right track, and my trainer told him I would give him good work . Again I aint really been doing any real training...mind you at my best i could give good work to good fighters (use to spar some pros, Andres, Tommy Wilt, Weldon Branche, Carl Sullivan) and do ok with them, and some good open class gold gloves fighters of various sizes...but i have a feeling i am going to get wrecked on Friday (unless he sees early that my timing is crap and takes it easy on me, I would like to actually give him useful work however, I think the head trainer thinks I will/can).

here he is fighting..its a loss for him.....I see some things I want to do in sparring "against" him, based on this...but anyone who has any suggestions, i will listen.

Since he has a fight in 4 weeks i am going to try to go pretty hard in sparring (something I haven't done in a while....what with sparring younger kids or fighters who i have a weight advantage on). I expect him to go pretty hard as well, with him getting ready for a fight and my trainer telling him I can give him good work...

BORKED

I am going to try to get the sparring session filmed and post it up here.
Johnstown is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: I am going to be getting my ass kicked on Friday

That guy he was fighting was a ****ing muppet
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Witherspoon probably got nervous; it was unsettling the way Santos kept pulling his own trunks down.
Circle to your right and throw your right.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Witherspoon probably got nervous; it was unsettling the way Santos kept pulling his own trunks down.
Circle to your right and throw your right.
yeah i will do that....spoon..as he is known...is actually, generally speaking a better fighter (I think) than that video shows.....

still i would fight him straight up if i was in shape...as it is..ehhhh....we will see how the sparring goes.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
yeah i will do that....spoon..as he is known...is actually, generally speaking a better fighter (I think) than that video shows.....

still i would fight him straight up if i was in shape...as it is..ehhhh....we will see how the sparring goes.
He has troubles with the way he throws his right hand; he doesn't shoot it, more or less swings it and doesn't judge his distance real well, so he leaves himself in bad spots with that punch. You can give him good work by sliding away from it, to your right, make him work to get in the right place to land it, and look to counter it with your right hand.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
He has troubles with the way he throws his right hand; he doesn't shoot it, more or less swings it and doesn't judge his distance real well, so he leaves himself in bad spots with that punch. You can give him good work by sliding away from it, to your right, make him work to get in the right place to land it, and look to counter it with your right hand.
i actually step to my right and fire a jab pretty good....my cousin who trains in toona and has seen him spar just said his only decent weapon is his left hook..so i will just keep my right guard tight.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
daly5050
Journeyman

His jab is just a pawing jab, throw a right over the top.. do this a few times and he will stop throwing his jab
daly5050 is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

sounds like you know what your doing ,,its just another sparring session, by the looks of the video ,,i would slip step & pressure him back to the ropes uppercut & hook to head back to guard

single shot with a back up punch on the inside
123ko is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict

only real thing i am worrying about is gassing out....i am in shit condition right now..but i decided that i aint fighting..and i aint trying to prove by balls..so if i gas out im pulling myself out.

Any level pro 200 pound heavyweight can do some damage when he gets to tee off and you are defensless...

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing