Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who will you be supporting on May 4?
Rooting for Floyd Mayweather 51 54.26%
Rooting for Robert Guerrero 23 24.47%
Neither, I just want to see a good fight 14 14.89%
I'm not interested in this fight 6 6.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM   #31
MrFoFody
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 9083
Default Re: Who will you be rooting for on May 4: Robert Guerrero or Floyd Mayweather?

Don't know, home town hero or the one with the same b'day
MrFoFody is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #32
MrFoFody
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 9083
Default Re: Who will you be rooting for on May 4: Robert Guerrero or Floyd Mayweather?

Shit! and it's on carne asada day too!!
MrFoFody is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #33
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

I love an upset. I root for ghost.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:00 AM   #34
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I have no interest in the fight - the reason I may watch it now is due to Canelo fighting Trout

Naturally anyone who isn't a Flomo doesn't like Floyd as he's a ducker and let's face it, as good as he is technically he's more exciting out of the ring than in it, will obviously be rooting for Guerrero as it would be hilarious hearing Floyd speak if he lost

But don't care much for Guerrero either, hopefully it's an exciting fight for the poor souls who will spend $60 on it and not another Floyd circus show of jab and run against a far inferior opponent
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #35
dareo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Mayweather
dareo is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #36
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
I have no interest in the fight - the reason I may watch it now is due to Canelo fighting Trout

Naturally anyone who isn't a Flomo doesn't like Floyd as he's a ducker and let's face it, as good as he is technically he's more exciting out of the ring than in it, will obviously be rooting for Guerrero as it would be hilarious hearing Floyd speak if he lost

But don't care much for Guerrero either, hopefully it's an exciting fight for the poor souls who will spend $60 on it and not another Floyd circus show of jab and run against a far inferior opponent
Floyd speaking and reacting after a L would be legendary.

When was the last time Floyd put on a "jab and run" performance? Or even just a "run" performance? 2006?
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #37
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I really dislike Guerrero. Find him annoying. I'd like to see him get his ass kicked.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #38
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Floyd speaking and reacting after a L would be legendary.

When was the last time Floyd put on a "jab and run" performance? Or even just a "run" performance? 2006?
Every fight - he did against Cotto until he knew the fight was won. He only took a few risks when he was about 6-7 points up on the scorecard.

I won't even mention the circus Ortiz fight, that fiasco was worse than jab and run. (Don't take jab and run literally, he doesn't run but he uses the jab and backs up alwyas to establish distance) Floyd fights that way in every fight - he establishes distance, works the jab and counter right and gets distance again. He doesn't fight toe to toe but fans will see what they want to see

Mosley was a zzzzzz
Marquez was the one who had to come forward, little Marquez with no reach, no size had to be the offensive fighter and got smacked with pot shots all night.
I tried watching the DLH fight again recently - I had to turn it off, Floyd did the jab and run all night, poor slow DLH couldn't do anything except lunge in and punch his arms now and again before Floyd backed up
Hatton the same - Hatton had some joy early on as Floyd could not stand fighting close, but as the fight wore on and Hatton's poor conditioning and lack of finesse became obvious, Floyd was able to keep distance easy and pick him off again...

Take your Floyd goggles off.
The man is a defensive genius, a clinical boxing tactician but that's his style so please don't tell me differently
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #39
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Every fight - he did against Cotto until he knew the fight was won. He only took a few risks when he was about 6-7 points up on the scorecard.

I won't even mention the circus Ortiz fight, that fiasco was worse than jab and run. (Don't take jab and run literally, he doesn't run but he uses the jab and backs up alwyas to establish distance) Floyd fights that way in every fight - he establishes distance, works the jab and counter right and gets distance again. He doesn't fight toe to toe but fans will see what they want to see

Mosley was a zzzzzz
Marquez was the one who had to come forward, little Marquez with no reach, no size had to be the offensive fighter and got smacked with pot shots all night.
I tried watching the DLH fight again recently - I had to turn it off, Floyd did the jab and run all night, poor slow DLH couldn't do anything except lunge in and punch his arms now and again before Floyd backed up
Hatton the same - Hatton had some joy early on as Floyd could not stand fighting close, but as the fight wore on and Hatton's poor conditioning and lack of finesse became obvious, Floyd was able to keep distance easy and pick him off again...

Take your Floyd goggles off.
The man is a defensive genius, a clinical boxing tactician but that's his style so please don't tell me differently
I think his style has decisively changed since the Oscar fight. I think that fight is the last one that Floyd fought in his patented "stick n move" and "timing small exchanges" style. I really think he's adapted and fought flat footed since the Oscar or Hatton fights. He fights in ways that if his opponents were told how he'd fight them beforehand, they'd be happy and think he was playing into their cards.

-Brawled on the inside against Hatton in a "mugging" fight; fighting Hatton's fight.
-Boxing clinic in a thinking mans' fight against JMM; fighting JMM's fight.
-Walked down opponent with power punches against Mosley; fighting Mosley's fight.
-Rugged and dirty, willing to shell up before firing back against Ortiz; fighting Ortiz's fight.
-Stood and exchanged, little care for footwork as to where he was in the ring against Cotto; fighting Cotto's fight.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #40
Cleto-Reyes
The 13th round
ESB Jr Member

will be rooting for floyd but all i ask is that the ghost push him to a tough fight , cant ask more than that from any man , but gotta respect gurrero , he got this fight the hard way
Cleto-Reyes is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #41
rodn86
Journeyman

Don't know why you all care: it's just another carefully selected points/late TKO win for Mayweather.

Mayweather is absolutely epic in the ring, but I'm thoroughly bored with him until he fights someone decent.
rodn86 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #42
Miguel
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I think his style has decisively changed since the Oscar fight. I think that fight is the last one that Floyd fought in his patented "stick n move" and "timing small exchanges" style. I really think he's adapted and fought flat footed since the Oscar or Hatton fights. He fights in ways that if his opponents were told how he'd fight them beforehand, they'd be happy and think he was playing into their cards.

-Brawled on the inside against Hatton in a "mugging" fight; fighting Hatton's fight.
-Boxing clinic in a thinking mans' fight against JMM; fighting JMM's fight.
-Walked down opponent with power punches against Mosley; fighting Mosley's fight.
-Rugged and dirty, willing to shell up before firing back against Ortiz; fighting Ortiz's fight.
-Stood and exchanged, little care for footwork as to where he was in the ring against Cotto; fighting Cotto's fight.
-He didn't brawl on the inside at all against Hatton. Whenever the fight got on the inside the referee broke it up and Floyd held Hatton down. The referee helped Hatton out and the holding of Hatton definitely had an effect in the 2nd half of the fight. Floyd did NOT fight in close. we saw a different fight
- again we saw a different fight. Marquez's fight is to counter and be the defensive one. Marquez was forced to come forward as he had a big disadvantage in size and reach. The 2 styles were tailor made for Floyd - to say he fought Marquez' fight is a joke to be honest, no offense. Marquez is a match made in heaven for Floyd
- Ortiz is crap, the fight was a joke and lasted a disgraceful 4 rounds. There is no judgement to make here
- Watch the first 6 rounds of that fight. Cotto barely threw a punch, Floyd jabbed at distance for the entire first half of the fight and won every round ebcause of it. The close exchanges started only AFTER the fight was a bit safe and Cotto realised he had to grow a pair. There is also a feeling Floyd needed to make it a bit interesting so was happy to go to the ropes for a couple of rounds and cover up...

You can twist it anyway you want, Floyd does not fight toe to toe and would much rather fight Alexander than Guerrero
It's a shame Guerrero does not have power and speed - it'll be a bit like the Hatton fight but without the single punch power Hatton had - first few rounds might be interesting until Guerrero gets demoralised and Floyd will pot shot away to a decision win
Miguel is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #43
box4life11
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1444

Not interested in this fooling the public mismatch but if I had to pick it would be Robert since he's the big underdog
box4life11 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #44
MarioBrothers
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

lmao its useless to root for guerrero, floyd clowns the mexican
MarioBrothers is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #45
Royal-T-Bag
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Guerrero is a clown. even if I didn't like Mayweather I'd root for him, there's practically no one I would root for Guererro over with his pity party bullshit. "I'm dedicating the fight to manny steward even though I never met him cause it's gonna get me more fans, then I'll buy a million twitter followers". **** that guy
Royal-T-Bag is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum