Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #106
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: How does Burns/Broner go now then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
He's only improved the things he was always good at. There ain't no riddle there, its the same basic M.O. He still can't move at the waist and he's still going to be backed up all night, and when he does get backed up what's he going to do except try and block off the ropes? It's no way near good enough and I'm shocked if you believe there is a chance it is.
I don't think Broner is that good and I don't believe you need to hurt him to keep him off.

You're shocked? I don't think Broner is anything special just because he battered Escobedo, Demarco and the remarkably unremarkable Gavin Rees.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #107
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Could say that about Burns opponents to be honest. None of them are remarkable either, fact is both have faced B grade opposition, hence why we're clamouring for this fight, and also probably why BlackBrenny picked up on the fact Adrien seems keen on it. There ain't anything else.

Burns opponents are okay especially given we were expecting him to be in a rough ride in some of them, but looking at the bigger picture they're not spectacular. Katsidis at the end of a long career, when Robert Guerrero had already put down a similar schooling on him. Roman Martinez was a life and death battle where he was put down heavy. Paulus Moses is terribly old and was he ever anything more than B- really? He's just a stand up boxer, nothing going for him against Burns. There really ain't that much to his record, its consistent and good but unremarkable, which is why they're both each others best opponent by a mile and the competition is fairly meaningless.

It's about ability, not whether you beat DeMarco or Paulus Moses. That doesn't win the fight. It's going to be about whether Burns can 1-2 and move all night. Is that really going to have enough substance to discourage Broner, can he actually do that all night and think its going to work or does he need more? I'm firmly of the opinion it won't be enough, and Burns will be too upright and basic when it comes down to it and Broner starts putting him under inevitable pressure. I really don't think Burns can fight up close very well and put into the equation Burns can't punch and its inevitable Burns can't just turn up with his typical Plan A. Plan A might work for 3 or 4, it ain't going to be enough throughout so what's he going to do when Broner does that catching up with him? All this is under the assumption Burns is actually capable of doing this without getting counterpunched too which is a big assumption in itself.

Basically there are far more assumptions you have to make to think Burns wins because of the power, speed and overall schooling of the two fighters which are worlds apart. Generally the fewer assumptions you have to make when weighing up two styles the more likely that guy wins, IMO.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #108
lolercakes
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Billy Nelson its funny you make fun of Broners dads weight yet you're as fat as him! Forget Broner, Vazquez is a world level fighter who has only lost to Bradley and canelo, he is gonna destroy burns. If burns somehow by a miracle gets past Vazquez and decides to grow some balls and get in with Broner he wont last 3-4 rounds.
lolercakes is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #109
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolercakes View Post
Billy Nelson its funny you make fun of Broners dads weight yet you're as fat as him! Forget Broner, Vazquez is a world level fighter who has only lost to Bradley and canelo, he is gonna destroy burns. If burns somehow by a miracle gets past Vazquez and decides to grow some balls and get in with Broner he wont last 3-4 rounds.
I was gonna say it, but I knew someone else would eventually.

I love the "Broner is a ***** and he wont come here"

Well Ricky dont wanna go over there either by the looks of it!

Jim Lampley said they priced themselves out. Adrien Broner said the same, as did his Dad AND his management at the PC after the Rees fight AND Eddie Hearn in an interview.

Somehow, I dont smell bullshit.

It would be interesting to see what a total neutral thinks in how this possible fight would go. Instead of Ricky Burns fanboys! This crap reminds me of Hatton when he fought Mayweather.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #110
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

It would be a hard fight for Burns to win. Broner can be hit as Rees proved but Rees also showed that you have to be able to hurt him or be at least constantly hitting him,else he gets you with those fast accurate bursts of punches. Burns is not the biggest puncher so he is going to have to put in a massive work rate to win. I think his chances are better than Rees chances were but it is going to be very hard.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #111
theboy_racer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Whats with all the people who seem to want to get on Burns case very quick?
theboy_racer is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #112
skoorydookatron
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1768

What gets me on this subject is that an overwhelming majority pick Broner with a common answer being that Burns does better than alot think he will.

But of course in this sport some people will pick Burns to win this doesn't make them blind Burns fan boys much bigger shocks have happened.

Now surely no examples are needed where an overwhelming favourite lost.
skoorydookatron is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #113
almsn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hard to pick I think .Article on the scene Rees saying Burns should stay away from Broner .Burns Broner I got Burns decision or Broner ko .Also wondering how Burns Rees would go and tbh I think Burns would probably do worse to Rees than Broner .
almsn is offline  Top
Old 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #114
almsn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

For me Burns ko against Mitchell was more impressive than Broner Rees .See the thread on Mitchell Rees as well but I was looking at Rees record .His best win is Souleymane M'baye and he lost the WBA belt in his next fight . Not great tbh think Burns would ko him as well .Rees is only 5.4 according to boxrec Burns would have a 6 inch height advantage .
almsn is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #115
UndisputedUK
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If I was Burns and his team, I'd defend the WBO lightweight title, make as much money as I could and wait for Broner to go away. A fight with Broner unless it's for over a million pounds would be a risk not worth taking.
UndisputedUK is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #116
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't get this whole idea of Broner being a risk. Vazquez is as almost as big a risk with a far lesser reward. If Burns beats Vazquez he has NOTHING to lose by fighting Broner. Everyone is saying Broner is the future p4p king and the heir to PBF and apparently has more talent in his small finger than the rest of the sport combined, pisses gold dust etc.
Even if he loses he gets respect for taking the fight, he's only lost to the next big thing, gets a huge pay day, Broner moves up in weight regardless and then Burns can fight for his old belts?
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #117
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP

So . . . . the other thread has gone missing then?
shaunster101 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #118
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunster101 View Post
Too much truth in it I suspect?
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #119
modestbiggles
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3808

Quote:
Ha! Hilarious.
modestbiggles is offline  Top
Old 02-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #120
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
just noticed.
ero-sennin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum