Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
RelentlessTC

vCash: 500
Default The mental game

Hey -- I've recently started boxing over the past few months..outside of gaining a very healthy respect for boxers I find I'm struggling with the mental aspect. Physically I train very hard but its the mental aspect I'm having a hard time tapping into a more combat mind. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TC
RelentlessTC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #2
Vaas Montenegro

Default Re: The mental game

Meditation
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Harryno1

I can relate to you, my first fight I lost and I put that down to my mental game, I sorted that out and ive won all my fights since (record 3w -1L). I came away from that first fight kicking myself, afterwards I felt like when I was in there I was in there just to survive, my technique went out the window and I brawled, the next time I got in the ring my mentality was totaly different and I went in there solely to win and stuck to my game plan.

Personaly I find the mental aspect the hardest part, even harder than stepping in the ring. Its the believing that your good enough to be in there, I know I am and I train hard enough its just stopping those doubts from creeping in.

Just my opinion and I have only had four fights to date,
Harryno1 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

What are you trying accomplish/achieve, mentally? What do you think should be running through your mind?
greynotsoold is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
RelentlessTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
What are you trying accomplish/achieve, mentally? What do you think should be running through your mind?

When it comes down to the brass tacks I want to have the mental ability to control my emotions, stay focused but extremely aggressive .

As for what I think should be running through my mind I'm not sure ... First time I got in the ring I had nothing I my head and I had the shit kicked out of me .. Second time .. I kept telling myself to relax and stay focused . I did better but no where near it needed to be .
Old 02-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaas Montenegro View Post
Meditation
Unless you are a Practitioner, you havent a clue Unfortunately, sad .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelentlessTC View Post
When it comes down to the brass tacks I want to have the mental ability to control my emotions, stay focused but extremely aggressive .

As for what I think should be running through my mind I'm not sure ... First time I got in the ring I had nothing I my head and I had the shit kicked out of me .. Second time .. I kept telling myself to relax and stay focused . I did better but no where near it needed to be .
To condition your mind, you have to train it, just like your body. When you are shadowboxing, or in front of the mirror, you need to be running through scenarios in your mind: "He leads a straight left, I catch it, pivot left and jab" You do the same thing when you hit the heavy bag; you talk yourself through the punch he throws, your defensive reaction, your counter, how you get out (or change angles to keep punching). This is how you train your mind to keep focused; you don't let it wander when you are training. (this, incidentally, is the big reason why I don't like a guy jumping rope in the gym. The mind wanders.)
If you prepare yourself this way, once the bell rings your mind will do what it has been conditioned to do. You'll be focused on things that matter; what is he trying to do to me, and how can I use that to my advantage.
greynotsoold is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Vaas Montenegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Unless you are a Practitioner, you havent a clue Unfortunately, sad .
True dat.
Vaas Montenegro is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
RelentlessTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
To condition your mind, you have to train it, just like your body. When you are shadowboxing, or in front of the mirror, you need to be running through scenarios in your mind: "He leads a straight left, I catch it, pivot left and jab" You do the same thing when you hit the heavy bag; you talk yourself through the punch he throws, your defensive reaction, your counter, how you get out (or change angles to keep punching). This is how you train your mind to keep focused; you don't let it wander when you are training. (this, incidentally, is the big reason why I don't like a guy jumping rope in the gym. The mind wanders.)
If you prepare yourself this way, once the bell rings your mind will do what it has been conditioned to do. You'll be focused on things that matter; what is he trying to do to me, and how can I use that to my advantage.

That's a really interesting point of view .. Im going to start putting that into practice . When I look back on my physical training behavior I am not visualizing when I train . Thank you for replying to my post I really appreciate it .

T
Old 02-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Get a sense of your a worthless piece of sh1t that everyone is laughing at so you get the inner anger to suceed.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Try imagining different scenarios in your past when you excelled at something, or got really pissed off, or wanted to hurt somebody. Relive those moments and then go spar in that frame of mind.

Try different scenarios individually and see if any of them give you a kick.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The problem when first leaning boxing ,,people try doing every combination ,,move ,,tricks etc there is
the brain as learned allot of what you've practiced ,but remembered nothing,thats why your mind go's blank when sparring

so my advise is learn 2 things within a week of training (3 -5days)

when i say learn i mean break down the Punch's making sure your transferring weight, twisting hip etc

then when your confident in what you've learned - practiced - remembered then can do with reaction when needed move on to another 2 skills
123ko is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2013, 01:00 AM   #13
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

You absolutely need to visualize while training. I have no idea how a person can handle boxing training without visualizing. I would have quit a month into it because it would've been so boring.

And from your post do you mean you're a beginner (only sparred a handful of times)? If so you don't need to worry abut the mental game. As the last post said, work on muscle memory first.

When you're a beginner you will suck at boxing. Emotionally, this is difficult because you know you look like an idiot ad it's embarrassing/frustrating. You just have to say oh ****ing well, it is what it is. When you spar, you'll have emotions like anger, frustration, embarrassment, fear, etc. That's because it's new to you. Just remind yourself it's only a fight....it's only a fight. As you spar more you won't have those emotions and it'll become like a game to you. You'll be able to intentionally do stuff that makes the other guy have those feelings. You'll be able to switch off your emotions and turn them on or fake them when you need them (maybe not...I'm kind of a sociopath). For example, when you take a big shot in sparring come back with a really hard combo (think Erik Morales). You look like you're doing this because you're angry about getting caught, but in reality you're only doing it to get the guy off you so you can recover...if he thinks he pissed you off he might take a step back and assess the situation rather than following up on you. That might be the split second you need to get your head back.

So if you're a beginner, for now focus on muscle memory and visualization. And in the ring, don't get caught up in it....don't put the pugilism on a pedestal. it's just a fight. Tell yourself that as often as you have to until fighting is just normal to you.
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing