Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Anthony Joshua wins MBE

Olympic and Paralympic athletes who won gold last summer have been awarded MBEs for their outstanding achievements.
Amateur boxer Anthony Joshua, who won super-heavyweight gold at London 2012, was among them.

When the imposing fighter, who is 6ft 6in, shook hands with the Prince after the presentation, he said Charles joked with him, saying: 'Shouldn't you be playing basketball?'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Heavyweight hope: There are many who have predicted big things for Anthony Joshua, if and when he turns pro

The boxer added: 'Last year was unbelievable, it's a great honour to have an MBE in my family.'
His story is exceptional as the 23-year-old only took up boxing at the age of 18 after his cousin, Gbenga Ileyemi, the 2011 ABA heavyweight champion, took him to a club.

Joshua can remember almost every punch and shot of his final gold-winning bout against Italy's Roberto Cammarelle.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] King of the ring and the future king: Prince Charles awards Joshua his MBE

He said: 'At the end of the second round I was three points down. I couldn't believe it, I was shocked.
'In the corner I said to myself 'You're three points down...doesn't mean you've lost this battle, you've got one round to give it everything you've got.'
'I didn't want to turn it into a scrap so I kept on boxing. I threw my combinations of left and right and pulled it back and it went to countback, where they watch the video replay and add up all the averages and scores, and I won it by two points and became Olympic champion.'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Crowning moment: Joshua was awarded victory, on countback, over Roberto Camarelle

Read more: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Follow us: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
iceferg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #2
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5250
Default Re: Anthony Joshua wins MBE

Seriously now... he gets another gift on top of his gold!?!
Robney is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
True_Hero
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Really?

I can see this bum becoming the next Fraudley Harrison.
True_Hero is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
CamR21
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 736

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Hero View Post
Really?

CamR21 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

****ing hell the haters are out already!
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robney View Post
Seriously now... he gets another gift on top of his gold!?!

Its right though. He got a gift against Savon and the final in the Olympics. What a pile of corrupt piece of shit that games was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True_Hero View Post
Really?

I think he can be a bit better (not hard?), but I can still see him getting beat.

Seth Mitchell v2.

All the gear. No idea.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post

Its right though. He got a gift against Savon and the final in the Olympics. What a pile of corrupt piece of shit that games was.

I think he can be a bit better (not hard?), but I can still see him getting beat.

Seth Mitchell v2.

All the gear. No idea.
name me another fighter to qualify for the Olympics and compete with the best in the world after 3 years in the sport?
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsey View Post
name me another fighter to qualify for the Olympics and compete with the best in the world after 3 years in the sport?

Andrew Flintoff. But he went pro.

There is no doubting Joshua's physical build and OK ability after 3 years. But I suspect he will be baby fed in the pro ranks, by having 20-25 fights before fighting any challenge. Promoters will see him as a walking disaster, but someone with the potential to generate a lot of money.

I don't see anything special about him, apart from his size, in the Olympics he was gifted a gold medal. There is no getting away from that. And I personally didnt see any amazing signs at the Olympics that stand out. In fact, the only signs I saw, was that he will be beat quite badly in the pro ranks, if he doesnt improve rapidly. Some of those opponents in the Olympics have only ever fought at amateur level. Camamamamamarellelelelele for instance.

I will reserve judgment, but at the moment, the only promise I see, is

Skill wise - We will have to wait a bit longer, very wise if Joshua stays amateur for 2-3 years if you ask me.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Andrew Flintoff. But he went pro.

There is no doubting Joshua's physical build and OK ability after 3 years. But I suspect he will be baby fed in the pro ranks, by having 20-25 fights before fighting any challenge. Promoters will see him as a walking disaster, but someone with the potential to generate a lot of money.

I don't see anything special about him, apart from his size, in the Olympics he was gifted a gold medal. There is no getting away from that. And I personally didnt see any amazing signs at the Olympics that stand out. In fact, the only signs I saw, was that he will be beat quite badly in the pro ranks, if he doesnt improve rapidly. Some of those opponents in the Olympics have only ever fought at amateur level. Camamamamamarellelelelele for instance.

I will reserve judgment, but at the moment, the only promise I see, is

Skill wise - We will have to wait a bit longer, very wise if Joshua stays amateur for 2-3 years if you ask me.
you clearly haven't done this. youve made up your mind and you will hate on Joshua no matter what he does.

if the only positive you can see about Joshua is his size, you obviously know **** all about boxing.

whether he won those fights or not, he wasn't stopped or outclassed against the best amateurs in the world after putting on the gloves 3 years ago. so he has already competed with, beaten or lost close decisions to the very best. so whats the purpose of staying amateur for 3 years (so he wont go to the 2016 Olympics....your a ****ing retard) to refight those guys?

you say he is not ready to be compete as a pro. so why not give him those 20-25 learning fights? as long as he is not fighting total bums whats the issue with him learning his trade in 6-8 rounders for 3 years before making a serious push?
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
you clearly haven't done this. youve made up your mind and you will hate on Joshua no matter what he does.

if the only positive you can see about Joshua is his size, you obviously know **** all about boxing.

whether he won those fights or not, he wasn't stopped or outclassed against the best amateurs in the world after putting on the gloves 3 years ago. so he has already competed with, beaten or lost close decisions to the very best. so whats the purpose of staying amateur for 3 years (so he wont go to the 2016 Olympics....your a ****ing retard) to refight those guys?

you say he is not ready to be compete as a pro. so why not give him those 20-25 learning fights? as long as he is not fighting total bums whats the issue with him learning his trade in 6-8 rounders for 3 years before making a serious push?
And you do?

You obviously dont get me yet do you?

Don't get your knickers in a twist because your in love with Anthony Joshua, it doesnt mean everybody else has to be. The Oympics was a fix, I'll wait and see what happens when he reaches the pro ranks thank you.

Audley Harrison won gold once upon a time.

At this moment in time, I believe Anthony Joshua has all the gear, but no idea. Thats not to say he cant improve and have an idea.

I'll be happy if he succeeds! And I won't be bashing him until we see what he can do at Pro level.

Now tell me and the world Jonsey, why the f*ck you know about boxing? Because many people on here just think you are a smart arse cunt who thinks he knows it all.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #11
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161

Bum is too harsh, but those were certainly disgraceful gifts which shouldn't be swept under the carpet.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyborg1917 View Post
Bum is too harsh, but those were certainly disgraceful gifts which shouldn't be swept under the carpet.
agree but his other achievements shouldn't be swept under the carpet either.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP

vCash: 5250

Quote:
agree but his other achievements shouldn't be swept under the carpet either.
Maybe, but he got this honor for his gold at the Olympics, wich when your honest he shouldn't have at all.
He lost the first round and the final in the eyes of almost everyone who saw the fights. He should have left the Olympics trough the backdoor but instead got one of the greatests sporting awards possible, while others got robbed from it.

Think about Savon and Camarelle for a second, who got their dreams shattered by at least incompetent but probably corrupt judging. Most get only one shot at a gold medal.
Robney is online now  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #14
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

All I can think when looking at the first pic is 'bloody hell... how big is prince charles?'. get Chazza in the heavyweight prizefighter,
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #15
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
All I can think when looking at the first pic is 'bloody hell... how big is prince charles?'. get Chazza in the heavyweight prizefighter,
He's built like your typical German.
Bill C84 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum