boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
Aquamarine
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

In no particular order (although u are free to debate the order u would rank them):

-Semmy Schilt: Pure dominance, 4 titles, fastest win record for a GP. Won every GP final he's got into.

-Andy Hug: Legend of K-1, RIP. One of the most aesthetically pleasing fighters to ever grace the ring, incredible athlete, made it to the finals of the 96, 97, and 98 GP's and won the 1996. If only he was still here and fighting, would have been amazing, see GIF:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

- Ray Sefo: 2000 Finalist, 2002 semi finalist. Lots of KO wins, has fought and beaten the best, and he had some nice KO win streaks.

-Peter Aerts: Another living legend, having made it to EVERY K1 Finals except last year, 5 time GP Finalist, 3 time champion...dogged by injuries his entire career, see GIF:

-Alexey Ignashov: Amazing fighter, never been finished in a fight except one time, wasted talent in some ways.

-Remy Bonjasky: 3 time champion, and 2 time semi finalist, incredible record.

-Ernesto Hoost: The Legend, retired but having made it to the GP final 5 times, and won it 4 times, see GIF:

-Branko Cikatić: He was the first K1 tournament champion, Cikatić is the oldest winner of the K-1 Grand Prix at 38 years. Knocked Hoost out twice.
-Badr Hari: 2008 and 2009 finalist, highest KO ratio in all of K-1. Extremely gifted athlete IMO.

-Mirko Crocop: Not as many fights as the others, however, extremely successful if you look at his record. He placed 2nd at the 1999 GP and has made it to the finals 3 times. Wins over [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], Mike Bernardo, JLB, Musashi, Greco, Bonjasky, Aerts, Sapp, Sefo and Feitosa:

Note: K1 max (the smaller guys) should have it's own ranking (so they are not included here) Buakaw, Souwer, Masato and Petrosyan etc all great fighters too...

Andy Souwer GIF:

Last edited by Aquamarine; 02-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

I felt you should have this gif in here

greathamza is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

Jérôme Le Banner &
Mark Hunt

deserves mention
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

I'm no kickboxing aficionado -- and I know all these names. Is that really it?
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Good list OP. Nice Gifs. Lebanner should have been in your list as mr Fulton stated...
yaca you is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Heavyweight

1 Hoost
2 Aerts
3 Schilt
4 Bonjesky
5 Hug
6 Cikatic
7 JLB
8 Hari
9 Hunt
10 Filho

HM Ignashov, Sefo, Bernardo

MAX

1 Masato
2 Petrosyan
3 Buakaw
4 Souwer
5 Kraus
6 Kyshenko
7 Sato
8 Zambidis
9 Roosmalen
10 Parr

HM Kohiruimaki

I also did a video highlighting my top ten favorite K-1 knockouts of all time. Enjoy.

BORKED

Last edited by StillWill; 02-22-2013 at 01:36 AM.
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bigunit View Post
I'm no kickboxing aficionado -- and I know all these names. Is that really it?
Its pretty shallow at the top. Muay Thai is infinitely deeper.
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #8
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Muay Thai is infinitely better as well IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #9
BeastsideBoxing
"The Thrill" Gavril
East Side Guru

vCash: 262

Mirko Crocop? Neaah....
BeastsideBoxing is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

Serious question: is MMA or Boxing 'deep'? In comparison to Muay Thai.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
latineg
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

cool thread with the GIFs !!

Hug was the only guy that i really recall using that neat head kick while his leg is on its way back down, yes i know its got a REAL name but i canne recall it. Even recall him creating some serious damage with this kicking technique a few times, very unique and cool to watch.
latineg is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Serious answer, no.

Muay Thai in Thailand has on average 5-6 main cards each week year in year out featureing at least 8 bouts and that's just the tv stuff and two main stadiums. The country is stuffed with stadiums, small hall and big hall events with gyms, trainers and fighters everywhere (a word to the wise never haggle to hard with a Tuk Tuk driver!).

The country boasts around 65,000 battle harded pros all competeting and crammed into divisions all below 70 kilos who have on average been fighting pro since the ages of 8 some even younger. The depth and quality in each division is staggering hence match making is second to none, it partially explains why you see records of guys in excess of 150 fights with only maybe 25 KOs.

All the fighters fight out of pure financial need due to extreme poverty form a young age and hence train twice a day, 6 days a week, 4 weeks a month year in year out with very few breaks and once launched fight an average of twice a month including the top boyz and P4P kings, none of this 1 fight a year Floyd bull****!

This is Thai MT though, western MT is by far one of the weakest combat sports in depth, however is growing and considering the utter dominace of the Thias it's a very hard place to make a name for yourselfin the combat world. Almost all westerners who enter a combat gym for the first time do so out of leisurely interest rather than the need to feed your family in the face of little choice or opputunity. Very few weterners can even live with a Thai on equal terms and at equal weights FTRs, let alone consider the possiblity of winning. Most of the westerners you hear about beating Thais are doing so in the 70 kilo divison or above where many Thais wind up finishing thier careers having had thieir hey days well below 62 kgs. Above 72 kilos,Thai fighters are almost non existant, so you tend to onle get forigner on foregner (lucky for them!). HW MT is dire and thin, don't even bother thinking about it. MT was bulit for little guys.There are very very few big guys with the natural ability to pull off even the most basic moves with the fluidity need to be competant even at a mediocre level. Hence K1 GP being dominated by the same few fighters for almost two decades.

Back to the original question, how many pro boxers and MMA fighters are listed in the world? Are there even 65,000 pros in UK and USA and Canadian boxing combined? I doubt it!

Intersting to know how many pro boxers are listed in Mexico?

Last edited by boranbkk; 02-22-2013 at 10:44 AM.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Heavyweight

1 Hoost
2 Aerts
3 Schilt
4 Bonjesky
5 Hug
6 Cikatic
7 JLB
8 Hari
9 Hunt
10 Filho

HM Ignashov, Sefo, Bernardo

MAX

1 Masato
2 Petrosyan
3 Buakaw
4 Souwer
5 Kraus
6 Kyshenko
7 Sato
8 Zambidis
9 Roosmalen
10 Parr

HM Kohiruimaki

I also did a video highlighting my top ten favorite K-1 knockouts of all time. Enjoy.

BORKED
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Its pretty shallow at the top. Muay Thai is infinitely deeper.
Good posts and great vid as usual StillWill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post

I agree, if your familiar with the routine superior quality of the Thai fight scene it's a bit hard to watch K1, it can sometimes be almost cartoonish in its sloppiness. I never watch the biglads anymore, but I do kinda enjoy Max, but as it's so dominated by guys with MT backgrounds it feels a bit limited and restrained and hence can be a bit frustrating. Don't get me wrong I'mnot hating I've supporteted itfrom the start, it can be exciting and gives guys the chance of fame, respect andmore importanly good dough, K1 definatley has it's place and long may it continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post

Hug was the only guy that i really recall using that neat head kick while his leg is on its way back down, yes i know its got a REAL name but i canne recall it. Even recall him creating some serious damage with this kicking technique a few times, very unique and cool to watch.
Axe Kick.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Travis Fulton
The Ironman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post

axe kick
Travis Fulton is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah, of course. But just taking the amount of Thai professionals? Unreal, but then again for a lot of these fighters they had a choice: to work for **** all or fight for a little more than that if they're not a special fighter.

For it's size Thailand is an incredible fighting nation. Such a unique breeding ground for warriors. Food, climate and culture make the young Thai boy and Muay Thai an easy fit. What I didn't realise until recently is that those scouted lads are bought by bigger gyms and honed there away from their families until they either make it or are sent back to their home province. It's a shady business, and the fighters are essentially machines. They tend to break down after a few hundred uses. In their 20s.

I'm really not surprised at all there are **** loads of fighters there.

BoranBKK will likely tell us it was even better in the golden era and he might be right. I'm starting to think Hippy Singmanee was the Ricardo Lopez of Muay Thai; 105lb champ who actually tested himself and fought much bigger guys.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum