boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #136
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81
Default Re: How does Burns/Broner go now then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolercakes View Post
Not hating I hope he does well, his trainer on the other hand..... His boxing IQ compared to broner/vazquez is average, he is not quick at all, reflexes and head movement don't become void just because other person has a good defence :/? You need them to avoid punches, the fact is ricky just hides in a shell, at the top level as Khan has showed you can't just stand there with a high guard and take punishment. Johanneson would say otherwise about the chin department, so imagine what broner would do
Khan dosn't know how to use a high guard and leaves massive gaps, his primary defence is to run for the ****ing hills, Rickys guard is much more compact, it dosen't have to be a flashy shoulder roll or Philly shell for a guard to be effective.

Broner should be concerned with his defence, it was worrying how little Gavin Rees was having quite a bit of success.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #137
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill C84 View Post
Khan dosn't know how to use a high guard and leaves massive gaps, his primary defence is to run for the ****ing hills, Rickys guard is much more compact, it dosen't have to be a flashy shoulder roll or Philly shell for a guard to be effective.

Broner should be concerned with his defence, it was worrying how little Gavin Rees was having quite a bit of success.
Khan's defence is to keep attacking Bill. He doesn't run or cover up.

I think people are underestimating Broner's defence because Rees had success for 1 or 2 rounds. Gavin Rees would have landed punches against Floyd Mayweather, fighting like that, because he was bringing it, lunging/jumping into punches and doing so because he is so small. Credit to Rees for that and he landed two cracking left hooks to the body, and they were legit punches that showed a space where other fighters can exploit, and when Broner gets wind of that, find something else.

But IMO a fighter like that will always win a early round or two, especially when a Mayweather or Broner are figuring the opponent out. Broners defence is as tight as anybodys when it wants to be, he just didnt respect Gavin Rees. I doubt you'll see him that open against fighters he has to respect when he moves up the weights. I don't recall De Marco landing that much?

What concerned me is that Rees was making him miss for the first two rounds, and quite f*cking badly to.

But if you listen to the corner between the 2nd and 3rd round, Broners trainer says "right now, you gotta go right now" and then he comes out and dominates. That tells me, he has figured his opponent out in the early rounds, adjusted and come out to finish the fight. Broner knows it, and even his trainer knows it. At that moment in time Rees was done, unless he switched up at the exact same time, but he didnt, and came out the same and got blitzed.

Rule 1 against Broner or Mayweather: Don't fight the same way all fight.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #138
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
Khan's defence is to keep attacking Bill. He doesn't run or cover up.

I think people are underestimating Broner's defence because Rees had success for 1 or 2 rounds. Gavin Rees would have landed punches against Floyd Mayweather, fighting like that, because he was bringing it, lunging/jumping into punches and doing so because he is so small. Credit to Rees for that and he landed two cracking left hooks to the body, and they were legit punches that showed a space where other fighters can exploit, and when Broner gets wind of that, find something else.

But IMO a fighter like that will always win a early round or two, especially when a Mayweather or Broner are figuring the opponent out. Broners defence is as tight as anybodys when it wants to be, he just didnt respect Gavin Rees. I doubt you'll see him that open against fighters he has to respect when he moves up the weights. I don't recall De Marco landing that much?

What concerned me is that Rees was making him miss for the first two rounds, and quite f*cking badly to.

But if you listen to the corner between the 2nd and 3rd round, Broners trainer says "right now, you gotta go right now" and then he comes out and dominates. That tells me, he has figured his opponent out in the early rounds, adjusted and come out to finish the fight. Broner knows it, and even his trainer knows it. At that moment in time Rees was done, unless he switched up at the exact same time, but he didnt, and came out the same and got blitzed.

Rule 1 against Broner or Mayweather: Don't fight the same way all fight.

Agreed. Fighters like that will take a while to adjust, find their timing, and they'll get stronger as the fight goes on. Even Hatton was able to win a round or two against Mayweather. Broner might not be in the same class as Mayweather, but like him he also adapts to whatever the opponent is doing.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #139
Amazing one

I really don't see how the fight with Ress changes peoples perceptions of the Broner-Burns fight. I watched the Ress fight the next day after reading reports on the fight, & honestly wasn't blown away as some were.

We seen everything Broner is known for, so why the surprise? We knew he had quick hands, flashy combos when he does let loose, good power & massive confidence in his own ability.

However, Rees made him miss more wildly than anyone I can remember. Tagged him a few times, but people say that's because Broner doesn't respect Rees' power, Mmm. But the thing that interested me was, he can still be outboxed/outworked & he doesn't counter often if you throw in bunches, he just covers up. Reach with a shot or throw the same one punch all the time he will read you, counter & punish you, but he's far from unbeatable.

The hype is just 'Wow'.

Burns may lose, he may lose big because Broner has enough 'weapons' to have early nights but there are flaws that a fighter like Burns can capatilise on. Burns at long range will cause Broner problems, his jab, movement & counters if Broner leads can win rounds but people are scared of Broner getting close. Why?

His inside game is based around a stationary target, I mean someone happy to trade in one place & simply remain in the pocket. His accuracy, speed & angles will cut you open if you just sit there but if you throw the first combo inside then either hold, push off & move out of range quick enough. Broner is so busy just covering up, he's way to late with the counters. And his feet are slow & wide!

Burns can Ponce De Leon Broner IMHO, he can outbox/outwork & surprise Broner inside with his strength, underrated speed, body work & defence. If he needs to take the odd hard shot, he has the chin & durabillity to do so. This is far from the one sided fight many will predict.

BTW Broner is very good, & pick him over a lot of 140 guys because of his style but I think both Burns & Vasquez give him nightmares. I actually think 140 is overrated talent wise.

I read an article where someone said Brandon Rios would be a perfect test for Broner, more like perfect fight for Broner. Rios would get busted up because he couldn't do anything at range & would be taken apart IMHO in the inside. Just my opinion of course!

I'd love to see this fight
Amazing one is offline  Top
Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #140
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
Agreed. Fighters like that will take a while to adjust, find their timing, and they'll get stronger as the fight goes on. Even Hatton was able to win a round or two against Mayweather. Broner might not be in the same class as Mayweather, but like him he also adapts to whatever the opponent is doing.
They are both undefeated but I've always said, they are beatable. You just cant fall into the trap, which all fighters seem to do. The plan goes out the window because they genuinely think they can knock their blocks of. This is exactly what these sort of fighters want, the opponent coming in reckless. Its obvious to me, that both Mayweather and Broner are somewhat slow starters, they use the early rounds to adjust and adapt and to watch closely what the opponent is doing. Then from 3-4 rounds onwards, they dominate the fight with always the forward panning/thinking that from the middle rounds onwards, to try and walk the opponent down, and get the front foot fighters backing up.

They achieve this mainly because the opponent doesn't fight with common sense, when they switch and adjust to what you have planted for 2-3 rounds, you gotta have another 2-3 games to go to during the fight.

We can see, both fighters are not invincible, they can be got at, you just need to be clever. A washed up Mosley got to Mayweather, and then fought the same way all fight. It was easy work in the end.

Of course, it takes a special talent to out smart these fighters, but I believe it can be done. Mainly through discipline and common sense.

This is a game of chess. Not checkers.

When they switch YOU SWITCH, when they move YOU MOVE.....it will be intriguing to see what happens when they fight someone that can do that, who is just as smart, just as fit and just as confident.

But will they ever really be tested? Will we ever see a ying/yang fight?
craney91 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum