Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #3556
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5,982
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Tell me about yourself Magna, where you grew up, who you are, what your childhood was like, so on.
the cobra is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #3557
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 14,396
vCash: 1200
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Did you see the Perez fight? I came in caught the second half of it. A great battle. Looking at this Perez record, I think he's got some talent but maybe has been mismanaged. He fights smart when he chooses to. In a way, though, he fights the way I imagine I'd fight if I fought. Lunging in with that left hook. Kind of stupidly and transparently. But he can counter your jab with a great right hand when his instincts smarten up. But I get the impression he fights too macho. Almost as if he's in his own Rocky movie. He needs to jab more on his way in, move his head a tad more when he's opening up. He fights great on the inside and throws some wicked body-shots and combinations.

Alright, my ramblings over. I'd love to hear whatever gym wars you're in the mood to tell.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #3558
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 0
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Get a chance to watch the Peterson-Holt fight...?

Gotta say, I was impressed with the way Peterson broke down a hard punching challenger. Granted, Holt can get down on himself when things are going against him, but that was a freaking clinic on how to go about the task.

Any stories on guys who have come back from time off to shock the hell out of you, or put on performances that were of much higher quality than you expected? The more obscure, the better.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #3559
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Just a brief question about mit work (highly subjective)....

When you hit the mits do you throw your punches as if you were fighting someone, or do you basically just tap the mit and work on throwing quick, light combinations on them?

I personally throw in between. Not as hard as I can, but I'm not just tapping it either.

This question arises from watching Hopkins doing mit work in preparation for his fight with Cloud in a few weeks.

BORKED

Do you prefer to do it similarly or different than Hopkins? I personally do it different, but have done various things within the same workout ranging from mimicking a fight to doing a Mayweather-type routine.

Edit:

Also, in sparring, how hard do you/did you usually go? Meaning, do you take it like Hagler and Frazier did and treat it as an actual fight, or did you prefer to do more what guys like Mosley and Ali did and just basically focus on working out your own weaknesses without trying to rip the sparring partner's head off?

Again, personally, I usually prefered somewhat lighter sparring although it actually gave my sparring partner the advantage because one of my better aspects of a fighter was my power, which became non relevant in light sparring. This doesn't mean I was a push over in sparring, there were many times where I ended up in what started out as light sparring but turned into a full fledged fight minus the judges at the end giving an official victory to someone.

I found gym wars more satisfying at the end than regular sparring (if I came out getting the better of it) but found regular sparring more beneficial to my skills.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:21 AM   #3560
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Tell me about yourself Magna, where you grew up, who you are, what your childhood was like, so on.

I grew up out East, I don't have a whole lot of good memories about it...It was HARD, and my father figures were good but few and far between. Boxing was a great escape, and when I could finally commit to it, it took over and led me out of the crap. I didn't get to do a TON of traveling during my brief amateur career, but I loved what I did. Got a chance to try some Cubans, worked hard, met some great guys to turn pro around.

I'm, chill, I think? I'm a pretty regular guy. I like good food, good music, and I like to try new things. I've been a boxer for 24 years. About a hundred fights total, I think. I have a really, really hard time talking about myself, haha. I like to hit people, volunteer at soup kitchens, listen to my music, and just dip my fingers in things to stay entertained.

I got to see the fights today! Alekseev really impressed me against Wilson. He looks like he's finally fighting within himself, and not focusing to hard on what he can't control. First time I've ever seen him look comfortable in the ring, and he really was able to work his plan and dominate. Manuel Charr is always fun to watch, too, though the fight was a bit disappointing.

My boy Roman Morales was lights out tonight, y'all. He's going places. Full package, dudes. Great body puncher. Consummate pro, works real hard.

How about my man Lamont with Kendall? I love me some Mr. Peterson. He's the nicest guy in boxing, he's the hardest working guy in boxing, and he fights OLD SCHOOL- Tight guard, immaculate footwork, and he goes up and downstairs. He's not the most talented guy, so he went to school to learn boxing, and he learned it well. He totally outboxed Holt and broke him down. He was landing over and over again, same punches, great combinations. Those body shots, Lamont can WORK an SOB to the body.

Didn't see Perez win, but thats a pretty big upset, isn't it?
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #3561
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Get a chance to watch the Peterson-Holt fight...?

Gotta say, I was impressed with the way Peterson broke down a hard punching challenger. Granted, Holt can get down on himself when things are going against him, but that was a freaking clinic on how to go about the task.

Any stories on guys who have come back from time off to shock the hell out of you, or put on performances that were of much higher quality than you expected? The more obscure, the better.
Vitali Klitschko blew everybodies minds, man. Some old dude with a ton of nagging injuries comes back after near 5 years and looks just as good as he ever has, and schools Sam Peter so conclusively, the guy never got his confidence fully back? Epic.

Troy Browning retired for 10 years after a pretty good career that started around my hey day. He was a good fighter, too, man, slick southpaw. He comes back, and almost immediately, takes on this stud up and comer, Julio Cesar something, 42-2, young, tough prospect, and Troy, damn near 40, SCHOOLS this kid. He was punch perfect, he landed a ton of left hands, was sliding around this hard charging Mexican like a G, the kid looked like he wanted out after the 6th. I've not been happier for a guy since, I don't think.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 AM   #3562
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Just a brief question about mit work (highly subjective)....

When you hit the mits do you throw your punches as if you were fighting someone, or do you basically just tap the mit and work on throwing quick, light combinations on them?

I personally throw in between. Not as hard as I can, but I'm not just tapping it either.

This question arises from watching Hopkins doing mit work in preparation for his fight with Cloud in a few weeks.

BORKED

Do you prefer to do it similarly or different than Hopkins? I personally do it different, but have done various things within the same workout ranging from mimicking a fight to doing a Mayweather-type routine.
I won't throw all out, because that is best for the bag and for the other guy, but you want to THROW the punch. That is where I'm critical of Hopkins doing that stuff; Tapping aint throwing. You gotta throw the punch to work on that technique, and those movements, but if you do, the shot should have some snap.

Work like that just looks like it serves no purpose to me, man. One mans trash, but I would get NOTHING from that workout.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 AM   #3563
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: "...The Land of Dixon and Langford..."
Posts: 8,143
vCash: 0
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Vitali Klitschko blew everybodies minds, man. Some old dude with a ton of nagging injuries comes back after near 5 years and looks just as good as he ever has, and schools Sam Peter so conclusively, the guy never got his confidence fully back? Epic.

Troy Browning retired for 10 years after a pretty good career that started around my hey day. He was a good fighter, too, man, slick southpaw. He comes back, and almost immediately, takes on this stud up and comer, Julio Cesar something, 42-2, young, tough prospect, and Troy, damn near 40, SCHOOLS this kid. He was punch perfect, he landed a ton of left hands, was sliding around this hard charging Mexican like a G, the kid looked like he wanted out after the 6th. I've not been happier for a guy since, I don't think.
Good call on Browning.

That was shown on ESPN2, and IIRC the commentators were apologizing in advance for what appeared to be a mismatch. Garcia was being touted as one to watch, so the soul taking that took place was completely unexpected.
Drew101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM   #3564
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew101 View Post
Good call on Browning.

That was shown on ESPN2, and IIRC the commentators were apologizing in advance for what appeared to be a mismatch. Garcia was being touted as one to watch, so the soul taking that took place was completely unexpected.
Thats the thing about being experienced man. You might be old, and the young pup might be strong and athletic, but you know how to land punches and avoid them. You take the kid out of his zone, take away the pace, set your own, and that youngster isn't secure? You win.

Of course, my go to plan has been "Punch them in the head". They tend to fall over.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #3565
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

So...whats your take on Thompson Price?
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #3566
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
So...whats your take on Thompson Price?
Honestly, it depends on what Tony has left and how he's trained.

He's more than good enough to win. Big, strong guy, good skills. In shape and sharp, ready to go, he'd give Price hell, whos still young and unpolished.

As it stands, though, I think Wlad took Tony's soul. Just destroyed him last time. I think Price works him over. Tony won't punch; Letting hands fly is something a fighter with confidence and hunger does.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #3567
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

hmmmmm either your not Tony or you are just about the greatest mind ****er ever....
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #3568
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Out of Foreman, Lewis, and Wlad, who usually went the hardest in sparring, who did you most learn from in sparring, and who seemed to be all around the best fighter (purely going by what you experienced in the ring with them) out of those 3?
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #3569
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
hmmmmm either your not Tony or you are just about the greatest mind ****er ever....
Not Tony, man. I wish I was getting his crack at David Price.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #3570
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,829
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Looking to reminisce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Out of Foreman, Lewis, and Wlad, who usually went the hardest in sparring, who did you most learn from in sparring, and who seemed to be all around the best fighter (purely going by what you experienced in the ring with them) out of those 3?
Lennox Lewis is an absolute killer. He's good, he's long, he's strong, he hits hard, and he'll get in your shit and dig through to daylight. Poised, athletic, and confident. He punched in combination, worked off an effective jab, and he was so sneaky with his uppercuts. It was just hard to keep him off you, or off balance. I'd have to say Lennox was the best. He took me places nobody else ever has, and he's the puzzle I could never solve all that well. He could be countered...And my left hook was always effective for that. But the more I looked for it, the more rights over the top came back. Hell.

George was slow. He was strong as a mule, he hit hard, amazing jab, but he had one gear. Damn near impossible to back up, but he'd follow you. That was the ticket to beating him; Get off target, move, and box.

Wlad hits so hard. Amazing jab. Great boxer. But he doesn't work on the inside, he holds, and he rarely hammers the body. More infuriating to fight then flat out difficult, and I think that is sorta the trap he springs; He could knock out anything human with that right hand, and the left hook isn't fun either. He also hangs on the back of your head with his left hand when you get low...He can straight up throw you with one hand. Maddening.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013