Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #31
On The Money
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Maloney's got to take responsibility

The moral of the story is just because a guy gets stopped twice by Wlad Klitschko it's no gauge that he's either past it or not world class.
On The Money is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #32
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I've no idea what to think really.

On the one hand, you could say that Thompson had only lost to Wlad x 2 recently, on the other you could say he's never really beaten anyone of note.

Allied to that, he is 40+, turned up a stone and a half over what he ought to be weighing in at....

It's likely that we'll have to revise our expectations of Price moving forward, he didn't look brilliant in there at any stage really, Thompson is seasoned but he's not a smart operator, not on the same planet as a Hopkins, a Marquez or a Mayweather, yet he still knew enough to trouble Price greatly.

Really, he's a sparring partner.... he was just good enough on the night to put Price to the sword.

In terms of the matchmaking, Price has had everything his own way, none of his last four opponents have been genuine championship class fighters - McDermott and ***ton never were, whilst Harrison and Skelton are both about 100 years old.

They had to make a move with Fury doing a job on Safety Pin, and Thompson was a man that Price ought to have been able to beat if he had serious world title ambitions, he couldn't do it.

Thompson fits into that Monte Barrett category, a decent opponent but no world beater.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #33
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

On paper it was a good match. As I said earlier,who expected to be on here discussing Price getting stopped?
Frank Maloney did his job.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

It's not Maloney's fault Price can't take a punch. Thompson isn't exactly a monster puncher and hasn't looked stellar in recent times either. His fight with Wlad was described as a farce.

Seems to be common on here for some people to deflect responsibility away from the fighter when things don't go right. Blaming trainers and promoters etc. Sometimes the fighter just isn't up to it and you have to deal with it.
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #35
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Before the fight I doubt you would find anyone seriously thinking that Thompson would have won, let along knocked Price out the way he did. He was seen as an old, slow, past it former contender who'd just come off a one-sided beating from Wlad Klit, and turned up for the fight badly out of shape. The writing couldn't have been clearer on the wall that he was just here to lay down and take his paycheck.

That he did what he did was due to his extreme self-belief, experience fighting the best in the division, and Price's absolutely abysmal punch resistance. I don't usually blame a fighter's chin as being his downfall, but that really was shades of Amir Khan all over again. Thompson is not a big puncher and that was not a big shot, but it totally discombobulated Price, and if he can't take shots like that without his legs turning to jelly then his future chances are very limited indeed.

I'll own up I thought Price was the goods. But that really was the very worst possible result that could have happened. Price might still have some success in the sport, but I'll have to downgrade my expectations massively from here on out.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #36
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

The thing your all fogetting is David and his team could have said no to the fight,he obviously felt confident taking it but it backfired it happens
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #37
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i thought they rushed into the thompson fight a bit.

it's this division is shit mentality.

gotta match a guy stage by stage.

hence the reason were all calling for a tyson fury domestic clash.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #38
Flexe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

Well. Thompson was a big step up considering his recent opponents. I think people forgot how well schooled and skilled Thompson is. He's no bum, even if he's old. Skelton to Thompson is a massive step up if you think about it..
Flexe is offline  Top
Old 02-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
bruthead
REAL TALK
ESB Senior Member

Arguably Audley Harrison is more of a one-punch KO artist than Tony Thompson...
bruthead is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #40
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
Great trainers like Manny Steward see their fighters weakness and work around them like he did with Wladimir. That's what Price needs now. A different approach in the gym and a different style of fighting, he can't risk a disaster like last night happening again. If it does then it's game over unfortunately. Leaving Franny Smith is something he should seriously consider.
With punch resistance as bad as Prices Steward would have advised him to go back to plumbing. Going down to a weak cuff round the ear like that and then doing the samba is not a good sign for a heavyweight....If he had been decked by a flush shot on the chin end then fair enough but he went down to a shot that 99.9% of heavyweights wouldn't even know had landed. With grade A poor punch resistance Prices career is more or less over.
icemax is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:10 AM   #41
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Maloney is a piece of trash but he managed Price's opponents perfectly. However, the nature of the sport is you can bring a prospect along perfectly and he may still get derailed. That's just reality.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #42
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

It was the sort of clip round the ear my dad used to give me as a child.

Not once did it drop me, read into that what you will.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #43
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

It would've been like Hide losing to Tucker. Or possibly Lewis losing to Weaver.

Yes, someone offering loads of experience and having been at a genuine world title level in previous years, but by this point a bit past it.

That Price ended up walloped, particularly the way it happened, was a disaster. But hardly something where he was clearly getting chucked in with a monster.
DamonD is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum