Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #16
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Why Pride will always be greater > than UFC

I like both

Brand arguments are retarded. Being MMA fans Im sure you all like to watch the best fights...right...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
It's sort of funny. Scurla hates the UFC and describes it as like the WWE, yet Pride had far closer proximity to professional wrestling than the UFC ever has, look at it's production values, it's stages, it's walkouts, the fact it had crossover fighters/pro wrestlers compete,(yeah, yeah Brock) the fact it was owned by a professional wrestling company in the early days, the fact they fixed fights just like pro wrestling.

Oh, to the OP, if you think it's "good" that small fighters fought giant heavyweights dozens of pounds heavy than them; then you're a moron.
Firstly don't quote me or put words in my mouth rookie.

Secondly wasn't it the UFC not too long ago who had a former WWE Star as the face of the brand? Wasn't it Dana that has gone on record with his adulation of Vince McMahon? How many fighters past and present do you think there's been in the UFC that come from a pro-wrestling background?
What about when they gave Shamrock the 'push' as the worlds most 'Dangerous man'. The same gimmick he had in the WWE?
And yet you have the audacity to berate the pageantry of PRIDE who willfully acknowledged their Pro-Wrestling roots?
Go on humour me how many fixed fights can you name seeing as that appears to be the crux of your argument? You're either an accomplished troll or a spokesmen for that idiot Haggis. Everything with you cheer leaders is the UFC vs everyone else as though you have shares in the f'in company. Tool. Get back in your box.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I like both

Brand arguments are retarded. Being MMA fans Im sure you all like to watch the best fights...right...
This.
If one enjoys a good scrap why should it matter what the brand name is
greathamza is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
I like pro-wrestling, love it even. But I have heard you bash UFC alot, associating it with wrestling and using WWE as a pejorative while comparing the two organizations.

Quite a few fights were fixed. Coleman Takada being one, Sakuraba Belfort another.
Thats because its a legitimate comparison. You on the other hand have chosen to ignore the ECW-esque overtones and story lines that were NOT present in PRIDE, but are readily present in the UFC as it trys to sell its fights. Convenient aye...
Now i want you qualify 'quite a few'. As apart from Coleman Takada which if i remember correctly was called by Bas and the Fight professor who at the time couldn't understand why Coleman appeared to be throwing the fight, I sure as shit don't remember any others. And yet this is an oft repeated 'fact' by UFC cheer leaders.
As for Sakuraba Belfort being fixed you're talking out of your ass. There was nothing fixed about that fight and there is not a shred of conclusive evidence that backs up your assertion.
So hit me with the hee and give me these 'quite a few' examples.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #20
will4009
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

i still think the massive ****ing plastic trophies they gave out are something that the UFC is missing.
will4009 is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #21
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Are you kidding? Watch Belfort-Sakuraba. Belfort doesn't throw a single punch and flops into guard so many times and just lies in the ring on his back with Sakuraba kicking his legs. Fake fight for sure.

Here look what seasoned vet Gary Goodridge has to say about early Pride
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Liddell talking about Pride fixed fights

Virtually every fight Takada won was a fix.
Also Quinton-Sakuraba was meant to be a fix but Quinton didn't play along. What normally happened is one guy thought the fight was legitimate and the other was told to lose. Sakuraba thought it was real but Quinton was told to go down. I suspect that's what happened between Sakuraba-Belfort.

It's sherdog but heres a wealth of information on fixed fights in pride
Right so your evidence is a thread from Sherdog...
Iv got work to do skippy. Don't waste my time.

Last edited by scurlaruntings; 02-26-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #22
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
It's sherdog but heres a wealth of information on fixed fights in pride
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I never watched Pride live, I was bought up on boxing and K1. I do try to watch as many pride fights as possible, it seemed very exciting to me just the whole makeup of the way things happened over there, from what I've seen it was awsome!
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
His disclaimer was pretty cool was it?
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
Heavy Handed
I keep planets in orbit
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Pride was the best and glorious in it's time. I'd like to see the UFC sell out something as big as Saitama Super Arena. Pride FC excelled at presentation, and is one of the reasons why it was touted as the premiere organization in the sport.

The UFC lacks presentation of that quality, even though they are now the premiere organization in the sport. The old gladiator style theme is so played and cliche. Even Strikeforce understood this concept and is why they had greater production values.
Heavy Handed is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #26
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

I think PRIDE favored the japanese fighters.....Takada vs that american in the main event of PRIDE 3 was a fix, much more than TAkada vs Coleman. Iīm one of the few here that think Vitor was acting extremely suspicious during the fight with Saku. Saku vs Rampage is also a fix IMO, not that we have any proof, just think is very suspicious...

Anyway, the UFC also does everything to protect american fighters, always did, like right now what they are doing with Aldo, forcing him to face LWs and refusing to give him a chance for the LW belt held by an american.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
His disclaimer was pretty cool was it?
He just googled PRIDE fixed fights. Im on page 15 on the ''wealth on information'' and 50% of it are talking about Saku v Rampage & Coleman v Takada...the ofther 50% of it talks about the UFC fights...

Idiot only read the 1st Page, I guarantee it.

And the Chuck video, his answer is, and I quote, ''I dont know, Ive only heard rumors the same as anyone else, I dont know''

Deckard, atleast watch/read your ****ing sources fella,
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
Saku vs Rampage is also a fix IMO, not that we have any proof, just think is very suspicious...
Im genuinely 50/50 on that, bit more sure that Vitor v Saku wasnt (just watch Vitors lackluster run in PRIDE, he lost something after Randy humbled him). If Vitor did break his hand like he said, then it makes sense he tried to use his guard, but Saku destroyed his legs in the process. Wouldnt be surprised if he was paid a loss bonus so to speak...but there would be easier ways to work a fight imo
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #29
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
Im genuinely 50/50 on that, bit more sure that Vitor v Saku wasnt (just watch Vitors lackluster run in PRIDE, he lost something after Randy humbled him). If Vitor did break his hand like he said, then it makes sense he tried to use his guard, but Saku destroyed his legs in the process. Wouldnt be surprised if he was paid a loss bonus so to speak...but there would be easier ways to work a fight imo
Yeah, we discussed this the other day, Stoo, you offered some good points but I still think is suspicious.....

Btw, what Gary says about the Ogawa incident is not surprising to me.....not that I blindly believe it (I donīt think he is lying though), but I think if this really happened, it would not be surprising.......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 02-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #30
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think he said Ogawa's camp offered him the money...a bit like Art Jimmerson being offered $10 000 not to punch Royce and tap out...
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum