Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Shadowboxing with dumbells

In my gym this is done quite frequently, usually 4 rounds 2 with weights and 2 without. These are 1kg weights (i'm guessing 2 pound weights in lbs?)

I know this topic has probably been done before and it's hard to get a conclusive answer but thought i'd bring it up for some discussion.

As far as I know the pros (in theory) would be: Greater stamina, greater hand speed, greater power

And the Cons (in theory): Slower hand speed, injury, improper technique due to added weight

Anyone got any theories, examples, stories ect on shadowboxing with weights?
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Johnstown
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Johnstown PA
Posts: 2,850
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

back in the 50s they would have basketball players practice shots and passes with medicine balls...the theory being that it would make your shots and passes more powerful and all (and if you ever tried to take a half court shot [which you shouldn't really be doing much anyhow, other than if you only have a second left] you will know it does take some power). I am sure those throws did make guys stronger, but some of the first real application of sports science showed that you actually screw up your throwing mechanics using a medicine ball instead of a basketball for shots..hence you might get stronger but less accurate. A case where trying to be sports more specific is actually worse than the less sports specific alternative (like lifting or body weight exercise for improving strength..because those won't confuse your neuro muscle system for the throw).


I have never seen any studies on it..but i suspect it might be the same for boxing with weights. Now having said that...I use to do it all the time..and after i would do it for a few rounds I would go and shadow box without weights and "feel" much faster..but I suspect that was just a psychological illusion.

Anyhow...i would say some weights would be a good idea..but no more than whatever the gloves you will be wearing will weight...12 oz or whatever...

heck..good pros actually wear fight weight gloves in sparring (although usually the paid sparring partners still have to weigh 16 oz, I read that about Pac..i suspect it is for the reason above).

anyhow....paradoxically...i suspect medicine ball throws are good for boxing..because its far enough away from the boxing movement as to now really screw up the mechanics of the punch (but thats just me guessing).

Anyhow....just weight for dealt with....I am sure he will come in...make some comment about me being fat..and than tell you truth
Johnstown is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstown View Post
back in the 50s they would have basketball players practice shots and passes with medicine balls...the theory being that it would make your shots and passes more powerful and all (and if you ever tried to take a half court shot [which you shouldn't really be doing much anyhow, other than if you only have a second left] you will know it does take some power). I am sure those throws did make guys stronger, but some of the first real application of sports science showed that you actually screw up your throwing mechanics using a medicine ball instead of a basketball for shots..hence you might get stronger but less accurate. A case where trying to be sports more specific is actually worse than the less sports specific alternative (like lifting or body weight exercise for improving strength..because those won't confuse your neuro muscle system for the throw).


I have never seen any studies on it..but i suspect it might be the same for boxing with weights. Now having said that...I use to do it all the time..and after i would do it for a few rounds I would go and shadow box without weights and "feel" much faster..but I suspect that was just a psychological illusion.

Anyhow...i would say some weights would be a good idea..but no more than whatever the gloves you will be wearing will weight...12 oz or whatever...

heck..good pros actually wear fight weight gloves in sparring (although usually the paid sparring partners still have to weigh 16 oz, I read that about Pac..i suspect it is for the reason above).

anyhow....paradoxically...i suspect medicine ball throws are good for boxing..because its far enough away from the boxing movement as to now really screw up the mechanics of the punch (but thats just me guessing).

Anyhow....just weight for dealt with....I am sure he will come in...make some comment about me being fat..and than tell you truth
Thanks for the response mate, The basketball example is interesting, and I always thought this could be the case with boxing, when you are tired usually your technique declines so by tiring your arms with weights I would guess it would be the same.

I agree with you when you say you feel faster because I feel the same when I do it. However I think this may just be from the weight being removed. The same concept as carrying a heavy suitcase and then dropping it, your arm feels lighter but realistically all you've done is drop the weight.. that's what I think anyway but it really isn't based on anything.

Yes I've heard that about Pac too, I think he wears 14 oz in sparring, the concept makes sense and assuming you are paying your sparring partner enough that he doesn't mind I don't really see the problem (From Pac's perspective).

I think it would be very hard to accurately measure the increase (if there was any) in speed seeing as there are so many variables and if it was proven to increase speed would this be worth the potential decrease in technique?
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 14,721
vCash: 121
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

I'd use it for endurance, but not at all for any kind of strength or explosive work with any sort of snap. Easy way to injure yourself and throw off your mechanics. That weight is simply not going to be at the end of your arms in the ring no matter how fatigued your shoulders are.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
I'd use it for endurance, but not at all for any kind of strength or explosive work with any sort of snap. Easy way to injure yourself and throw off your mechanics. That weight is simply not going to be at the end of your arms in the ring no matter how fatigued your shoulders are.
This.

Using a weight less than your gloves is pointless. Using a weight heavier than your gloves will throw off your mechanics and put extra uneeded strain on your joints. Using the same weight as your gloves.... What the **** is the point? Just wear your gloves.

Overall it's either useless or bad for you.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
dayuum
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 371
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Floyd Mayweather does it a lot.

A normal person will get tennis elbow from it
dayuum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
P.4.P.G.O.A.T.
Q Boro Killa Bee
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 1,628
vCash: 13418
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Good for endurance - being always careful not to fully extend the elbow joint. Uppercut burnout drills are pretty effective with 2-3 pound weights.
P.4.P.G.O.A.T. is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
Floyd Mayweather does it a lot.

A normal person will get tennis elbow from it
Why is this? Are Floyd's elbows special?
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,659
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Use Rubber Bands, they are better for what you are trying, to accomplish.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
StreetsofRAGE
Ballin
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 212
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Punching with light dumbells (no more than 3 pounds, but 1 or 2 pounds is better for a smaller guy) actually improves hand speed and power. I recall hearing about a Russian boxing coach who did studies/ experiments that proved this to be true. I can't find any info on the guy right now because I forget his name, but I know I've read in more than one place about this.

It's not a new concept, and as far as I know it's a pretty well accepted technique amongst trainers and fighters. Floyd Mayweather does it all the time and it works pretty well for him. I'd be inclined to take the P4P #1 fighter in the world's advice on boxing over some random dopes on a forum.

The same effect can be achieved by using heavy gloves in sparring and training.

The Russian coach I mentioned earlier advised his fighters to start by doing short intervals using the heaviest weight (usually 3 pounds, but I've heard of heavyweights using 5 pounds or more) and then tapering down in the next intervals by doing a lower weight (maybe 2), and then move onto 16oz gloves, and then shadowboxing for a round or two.

After proper recovery, the end result will be a gain in hand speed and power.

A couple of you mentioned you've done this and it "felt" like you were faster afterwards, but you assumed it was a mental trick of some sort. It probably was, because you don't get stronger immediately. Your muscles have to rest in order to rebuild themselves and get stronger.

It does work, but it's fine if you're skeptical. You don't have to take my word for it. Do some research and you can find out for yourself.
StreetsofRAGE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
daly5050
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofRAGE View Post
Punching with light dumbells (no more than 3 pounds, but 1 or 2 pounds is better for a smaller guy) actually improves hand speed and power. I recall hearing about a Russian boxing coach who did studies/ experiments that proved this to be true. I can't find any info on the guy right now because I forget his name, but I know I've read in more than one place about this.

It's not a new concept, and as far as I know it's a pretty well accepted technique amongst trainers and fighters. Floyd Mayweather does it all the time and it works pretty well for him. I'd be inclined to take the P4P #1 fighter in the world's advice on boxing over some random dopes on a forum.

The same effect can be achieved by using heavy gloves in sparring and training.

The Russian coach I mentioned earlier advised his fighters to start by doing short intervals using the heaviest weight (usually 3 pounds, but I've heard of heavyweights using 5 pounds or more) and then tapering down in the next intervals by doing a lower weight (maybe 2), and then move onto 16oz gloves, and then shadowboxing for a round or two.

After proper recovery, the end result will be a gain in hand speed and power.

A couple of you mentioned you've done this and it "felt" like you were faster afterwards, but you assumed it was a mental trick of some sort. It probably was, because you don't get stronger immediately. Your muscles have to rest in order to rebuild themselves and get stronger.

It does work, but it's fine if you're skeptical. You don't have to take my word for it. Do some research and you can find out for yourself.
Hey mate thanks for the response, I think I remember reading that too about the Russian coach. I'll try and find it tomorrow, from memory it was the Russian Amateur Olympic team.

I do think it is interesting that Kostya Tszyu who went through the russian amateur system uses hand weights as an endurance exersize rather than actual shadow boxing in this video

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sorry I don't know how to embed.
daly5050 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Good thread lads.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:36 AM   #13
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,100
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofRAGE View Post
Punching with light dumbells (no more than 3 pounds, but 1 or 2 pounds is better for a smaller guy) actually improves hand speed and power. I recall hearing about a Russian boxing coach who did studies/ experiments that proved this to be true. I can't find any info on the guy right now because I forget his name, but I know I've read in more than one place about this.

It's not a new concept, and as far as I know it's a pretty well accepted technique amongst trainers and fighters. Floyd Mayweather does it all the time and it works pretty well for him. I'd be inclined to take the P4P #1 fighter in the world's advice on boxing over some random dopes on a forum.

The same effect can be achieved by using heavy gloves in sparring and training.

The Russian coach I mentioned earlier advised his fighters to start by doing short intervals using the heaviest weight (usually 3 pounds, but I've heard of heavyweights using 5 pounds or more) and then tapering down in the next intervals by doing a lower weight (maybe 2), and then move onto 16oz gloves, and then shadowboxing for a round or two.

After proper recovery, the end result will be a gain in hand speed and power.

A couple of you mentioned you've done this and it "felt" like you were faster afterwards, but you assumed it was a mental trick of some sort. It probably was, because you don't get stronger immediately. Your muscles have to rest in order to rebuild themselves and get stronger.

It does work, but it's fine if you're skeptical. You don't have to take my word for it. Do some research and you can find out for yourself.
Post some links to these studies proving what you're claiming. I've never seen or heard of any studies proving that punching while holding weights improves speed and power.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 515
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Post some links to these studies proving what you're claiming. I've never seen or heard of any studies proving that punching while holding weights improves speed and power.
Me neither.
If i am shadowboxing with weights its usually about 0,5 kg or 1 kg.
I dont snap punches and i do specific defence movements as well.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,785
vCash: 496
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Arthur Abraham uses weighted boxing gloves when training. He says it helps with his power.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013