Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,924
vCash: 75
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

As soon as I finished that post I realised I should've just said 'Look at my avatar. That kid ended up the arguable G.O.A.T Nak Muay.'

And really, that picture says it all. If you looked at that kid you might think 'man he looks a beast, bet he turns into a great fighter'.

He did. And he ****ed around in training and had a puff, and took the piss, and was still the best.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #17
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Mirko Crocop? Neaah....
He defeated:

-Bonjasky
-Sefo
-Hunt
-Aerts
-Lebanner
-Greco

etc

Only had 26 fights! Take someone like Aerts he had a record of 136 fights! Crocop deserves a ranking...
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 AM   #18
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Some of my favourite GIFS:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

That first one is from Pride
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
That first one is from Pride
Ya i know but i hate Overeem and like the GIF.

Last one is from an event called Xplosion in Macau. Nathan Corbett.

Any good Muay Thai/Kickboxing GIFS follks?

Last edited by Aquamarine; 02-23-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #21
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Mike Bernardo, Mark Hunt etc all deserve a mention too..

As for Lebanner, i am a fan, he has been a mainstay in K-1's heavyweight division for over 15 years. But i have him just missing out of the top 10.

Just out of interest...any love for Branko Cikatic? He was the original K-1 champion, was 38 when he won the Grand Prix and was already on his last legs as a fighter. Impressive! If K-1 was around a decade earlier, Cikatic' would probably be top 3 at worst IMO. Wasn't the prettiest fighter though...

Ciktic' holds a pair of right hook knockout victories over Ernesto Hoost at 38 and 39 years of age while Hoost was only 28 and right on the cust of his prime. Cikatic' is usually forgotten amongst K-1 talk but there is no way he can not be included in the greatest of all time.

Last edited by Aquamarine; 02-23-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Muchmoore
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
Ya i know but i hate Overeem and like the GIF.
?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
MrPook
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 593
vCash: 335
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

HW:

1. Hoost.
2. Schilt
3. Aerts
4. Bonjasky
5. Hug
6. Cikatic
7. Overeem
8. Cro cop
9. Le Banner
10. Hari

Always wondered what would have happened if Ignashov had been champion. That year Hunt won Ignashov got robbed in the semi-finals. Or punished for acting disdainful to Filhio/karate depends how you look at it. But had Ignashov been in the final vs Hunt he sure would have won. After that the fire from Ignashov seemed gone. Had the talent to win the K1 multiple times.

Also the top 3 fighters all have a claim to be number 1. Hoost had that champion quality. Also was in his prime when K1 was the most popular. Schilt was very dominant and holds several records. Aerts was able to beat both of them and won K1 3 times as well. Also had a very long career and always competitive.

Last edited by MrPook; 02-23-2013 at 11:26 AM.
MrPook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #24
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 174
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPook View Post
HW:

1. Hoost.
2. Schilt
3. Aerts
4. Bonjasky
5. Hug
6. Cikatic
7. Overeem
8. Cro cop
9. Le Banner
10. Hari

Always wondered what would have happened if Ignashov had been champion. That year Hunt won Ignashov got robbed in the semi-finals. Or punished for acting disdainful to Filhio/karate depends how you look at it. But had Ignashov been in the final vs Hunt he sure would have won. After that the fire from Ignashov seemed gone. Had the talent to win the K1 multiple times.

Also the top 3 fighters all have a claim to be number 1. Hoost had that champion quality. Also was in his prime when K1 was the most popular. Schilt was very dominant and holds several records. Aerts was able to beat both of them and won K1 3 times as well. Also had a very long career and always competitive.
My .02

Aerts is 3-2 against Sem and IMO dominated in the better era. Also old man Aerts was able to beat a prime Schilt 2x and for those reasons I have him above.

Overeem has a very limited K1 career and had possibly the easiest route through the WGP of all time, there is no way he deserves to be on the list IMO especially above the likes of JLB and Badr Hari. Cro Cop also didnt stick around long enough to make the list.

Ignashov didnt have the dedication or mental strength to be a longtime champion. Which is a shame, because he is the most talented K1 SHW Ive ever seen. I actually made a video about him as well.

BORKED
StillWill is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
thanosone
I Am Eternal
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: In The Zone
Posts: 1,303
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Aerts had the vicious KO's. Always hated Hoost and his stupid little dance.
thanosone is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #26
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
As soon as I finished that post I realised I should've just said 'Look at my avatar. That kid ended up the arguable G.O.A.T Nak Muay.'

And really, that picture says it all. If you looked at that kid you might think 'man he looks a beast, bet he turns into a great fighter'.

He did. And he ****ed around in training and had a puff, and took the piss, and was still the best.
Got another great pic you may appreciate Flea. Three of these little pint sized warriors went on to be ATGs with one being the GOAT!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boranbkk is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,924
vCash: 75
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Awesome! Who else is in there?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #28
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

In regards to who is the best K1 fighter of all time, this is very difficult to pick as many know. Obviously its between Ernest Hoost & Peter Aerts. Semmy Schilt gets honourable mention and if he competed in K1 earlier and more consistently then he might be a serious contender for that honour. However up to this point his career has not been long enough to achieve what the other two have (although in WGP Titles he has tied Hoost with 4 and bettered Aerts by 1 in a much shorter time frame which is really impressive)

Hoost led the head to head against Aerts 3-2 (however it should be noted that in Peters last loss to Ernesto in 06 he was a last minute replacement for Bob Sapp with zero preparation!) The 93 fight was very debateable too...many thought Aert's won. You could make a very good case that there head to head is pretty even. Here are some interesting facts.

Kickboxing Records:

Peter Aerts: 103-28 -1 (draw) 17 straight WGP Finals Appearences/ 3 WGP Titles. Peter's longest winning streak was 19.


Ernesto Hoost: 97-21-1 (draws) 11 WGP Finals Appearences / 4 WGP Titles. Ernesto's longest was 12.

Peter Aerts vs Mike Bernardo 2-3
Ernesto Hoost vs. Mike Bernardo 1-0
Peter Aerts vs. Stefen Leko 0-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Stefen Leko 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Cyril Abidi 1-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Cyril Abidi 1-0
Peter Aerts vs. Jerome LeBanner 3-1
Ernesto Hoost vs. Jerome LeBanner 3-2
Peter Aerts vs. Andy Hug 2-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Andy Hug 3-1
Peter Aerts vs. Mirko Cro Cop 0-1
Ernesto Hoost vs. Mirko Cro Cop 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Bob Sapp 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs Bob Sapp 0-2
Peter Aerts vs. Semmy Schilt 3-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Semmy Schilt 0-2-1(draw)
Peter Aerts vs. Francisco Filho 0-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Francisco Filho 2-1
Peter Aerts vs. Remy Bonjasky 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Remy Bonjasky 0-1
Peter Aerts vs. Ray Sefo 2-1
Ernesto Hoost vs Ray Sefo 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Branko Cikatic 0-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Branko Cikatic 1-2
Peter Aerts vs. Sam Greco 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Sam Greco 1-1

Both were exciting fighters and very technical. Aerts was the more aggresive however Hoost was terrific at attacking relentlessly at the right moments and a bit better defensively. Also his low kicks and liver shot were devestating. Bob Sapps two defeats of Hoost seemed un-Mr. Perfect like, however his 3 wins over Cro Cop are very impressive. Aerts strugles with Leko, Filho and Abidi stand out as do his wins over LeBanner & Schilt especially. Also a solid win over Bonjasky, a 3 time WGP champion. Also I should mention that Peter had a period of many high kick KOs that were astonishing and brutal.

It definetely felt for a period from 94-98 Aerts was the better fighter and from late 99-02 that Hoost was the man on top. But from 03 to the present obviously Aerts prevailed. Keep in mind Aerts is 5 years younger so of course naturally it was resonable that Hoost would retire first. I definately feel that their careers taken as a whole favours Aerts marginaly.! To me its 55/45 Aerts. The 19 fight win streak and especially the 17 WGP final 8 appearences are so profound and give him a slight edge. Peter was better in his twilight years too.

However I give both these legends props as they both have propelled the sport and most importantly have done with courage, honour and respect and have made me proud to be a fan.

Just on a sidenote: Greatest dutch kickboxer? (or indeed western kickboxer?) IMO that goes to Rob Kaman. (Peter schmit RIP had the most potential!) Biggest waste of talent in K1? Ignashov.
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #29
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Fact's about Andy Hug:

-> The first karate fighter able to hold his own against the best kick and Thai boxers.

-> The first Swiss national to advance to the world's top ranking in Kyokushinkai Karate.

-> The first non-Asian to achieve entry to a world championship final.

-> The first non-Asian to become professional world champion in full-contact karate.

-> The first martial arts fighter with a karate background to win the K-1 Grand Prix.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

All bow down in awe....
Aquamarine is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #30
yaca you
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 75
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
In regards to who is the best K1 fighter of all time, this is very difficult to pick as many know. Obviously its between Ernest Hoost & Peter Aerts. Semmy Schilt gets honourable mention and if he competed in K1 earlier and more consistently then he might be a serious contender for that honour. However up to this point his career has not been long enough to achieve what the other two have (although in WGP Titles he has tied Hoost with 4 and bettered Aerts by 1 in a much shorter time frame which is really impressive)

Hoost led the head to head against Aerts 3-2 (however it should be noted that in Peters last loss to Ernesto in 06 he was a last minute replacement for Bob Sapp with zero preparation!) The 93 fight was very debateable too...many thought Aert's won. You could make a very good case that there head to head is pretty even. Here are some interesting facts.

Kickboxing Records:

Peter Aerts: 103-28 -1 (draw) 17 straight WGP Finals Appearences/ 3 WGP Titles. Peter's longest winning streak was 19.


Ernesto Hoost: 97-21-1 (draws) 11 WGP Finals Appearences / 4 WGP Titles. Ernesto's longest was 12.

Peter Aerts vs Mike Bernardo 2-3
Ernesto Hoost vs. Mike Bernardo 1-0
Peter Aerts vs. Stefen Leko 0-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Stefen Leko 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Cyril Abidi 1-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Cyril Abidi 1-0
Peter Aerts vs. Jerome LeBanner 3-1
Ernesto Hoost vs. Jerome LeBanner 3-2
Peter Aerts vs. Andy Hug 2-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Andy Hug 3-1
Peter Aerts vs. Mirko Cro Cop 0-1
Ernesto Hoost vs. Mirko Cro Cop 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Bob Sapp 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs Bob Sapp 0-2
Peter Aerts vs. Semmy Schilt 3-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Semmy Schilt 0-2-1(draw)
Peter Aerts vs. Francisco Filho 0-2
Ernesto Hoost vs. Francisco Filho 2-1
Peter Aerts vs. Remy Bonjasky 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Remy Bonjasky 0-1
Peter Aerts vs. Ray Sefo 2-1
Ernesto Hoost vs Ray Sefo 3-0
Peter Aerts vs. Branko Cikatic 0-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Branko Cikatic 1-2
Peter Aerts vs. Sam Greco 1-0
Ernesto Hoost vs. Sam Greco 1-1

Both were exciting fighters and very technical. Aerts was the more aggresive however Hoost was terrific at attacking relentlessly at the right moments and a bit better defensively. Also his low kicks and liver shot were devestating. Bob Sapps two defeats of Hoost seemed un-Mr. Perfect like, however his 3 wins over Cro Cop are very impressive. Aerts strugles with Leko, Filho and Abidi stand out as do his wins over LeBanner & Schilt especially. Also a solid win over Bonjasky, a 3 time WGP champion. Also I should mention that Peter had a period of many high kick KOs that were astonishing and brutal.

It definetely felt for a period from 94-98 Aerts was the better fighter and from late 99-02 that Hoost was the man on top. But from 03 to the present obviously Aerts prevailed. Keep in mind Aerts is 5 years younger so of course naturally it was resonable that Hoost would retire first. I definately feel that their careers taken as a whole favours Aerts marginaly.! To me its 55/45 Aerts. The 19 fight win streak and especially the 17 WGP final 8 appearences are so profound and give him a slight edge. Peter was better in his twilight years too.

However I give both these legends props as they both have propelled the sport and most importantly have done with courage, honour and respect and have made me proud to be a fan.

Just on a sidenote: Greatest dutch kickboxer? (or indeed western kickboxer?) IMO that goes to Rob Kaman. (Peter schmit RIP had the most potential!) Biggest waste of talent in K1? Ignashov.
Good post.

I do think longevity at the top favors Aerts over Hoost as well. Even though I think Hoost, Aerts and Shilt are all neck and neck at the top and arguably interchangeable.


I agree about Ignashov having the most potentially wasted talent. I always thought he was superior to Hari skillwise and didnt have the chin issues that hari has. Sad that both threw away so much.


Why do you think Kaman was the greatest Dutch kickboxer? how would you compare Kaman's career to Souwer Dekkers or Hippolyte?
yaca you is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013