Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #31
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Your top 10 greatest K1 GP fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaca you View Post
Good post.

I do think longevity at the top favors Aerts over Hoost as well. Even though I think Hoost, Aerts and Shilt are all neck and neck at the top and arguably interchangeable.

Quote:
I agree about Ignashov having the most potentially wasted talent. I always thought he was superior to Hari skillwise and didnt have the chin issues that hari has. Sad that both threw away so much.
Alcohol.

Quote:
Why do you think Kaman was the greatest Dutch kickboxer? how would you compare Kaman's career to Souwer Dekkers or Hippolyte?
Just a personal choice. Fairly evenly matched with Dekkers. Souwer again is an incredibly good fighter, practically perfect in nearly everything, good school, nice stamina, great attitude...

Close call but im sticking with mr low kick.
Aquamarine is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #32
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post

Alcohol.

Just a personal choice. Fairly evenly matched with Dekkers. Souwer again is an incredibly good fighter, practically perfect in nearly everything, good school, nice stamina, great attitude...

Close call but im sticking with mr low kick.

Fair enough personal choice and I know your talking in a Kickboxing sense not so much an MT one, but due to size Rob never really had to face the best Thailand had to offer as Dekkers did on many occasions.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Kid Dynamite
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Schilt is the strongest and most dominant fighter, that's quite obvious.

Hoost is the most skilled one and takes the N 1 spot, even though he has some black marks on his records such as the losses to Sapp, but they all have that.

Aerts is there, also because he has been in K-1 from the beginning.

Le Banner, although not really a tournament fighter, should off course be there too. He has wins over all of them and only bad luck kept him from the title back in 2002 and ruined his next years.

Hug was a great warrior, technical as well but his death made him a bit overrated in my opinion. He died at around 37, so we had seen the best of him.

The bald and hard hitting Bernardo, probably the most dangerous and feared fighter in the circuit should be there too.

Bonjasky; technical fighter, but he took advantage of injured fighters ( Le Banner 2003) to capture his titles. Fought Musashi twice in the Final and Aerts took rid of Schilt for him in his 3th GP win. A very good fighter, just not that dominant.

Sefo has been in K-1 for a long time too. Though he never even won a regional K-1 tournament, he should be mentioned in the top 10 I think.

Filho, Greco are other names that come to my mind to make the top 10 complete. Especially Greco was a real badass.

Musashi, Leko, Stan the Man, ...
Kid Dynamite is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #34
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynamite View Post
Schilt is the strongest and most dominant fighter, that's quite obvious.

Hoost is the most skilled one and takes the N 1 spot, even though he has some black marks on his records such as the losses to Sapp, but they all have that.

Aerts is there, also because he has been in K-1 from the beginning.

Le Banner, although not really a tournament fighter, should off course be there too. He has wins over all of them and only bad luck kept him from the title back in 2002 and ruined his next years.

Hug was a great warrior, technical as well but his death made him a bit overrated in my opinion. He died at around 37, so we had seen the best of him.

The bald and hard hitting Bernardo, probably the most dangerous and feared fighter in the circuit should be there too.

Bonjasky; technical fighter, but he took advantage of injured fighters ( Le Banner 2003) to capture his titles. Fought Musashi twice in the Final and Aerts took rid of Schilt for him in his 3th GP win. A very good fighter, just not that dominant.

Sefo has been in K-1 for a long time too. Though he never even won a regional K-1 tournament, he should be mentioned in the top 10 I think.

Filho, Greco are other names that come to my mind to make the top 10 complete. Especially Greco was a real badass.

Musashi, Leko, Stan the Man, ...
Good post.

Don't forget though that Hug was a karate fighter first & foremost, and still able to hold his own against the best kick and Thai boxers.

RIP Ramon Dekkers.
Aquamarine is online now  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #35
Axe
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillWill View Post
Heavyweight

1 Hoost
2 Aerts
3 Schilt
4 Bonjesky
5 Hug
6 Cikatic
7 JLB
8 Hari
9 Hunt
10 Filho

HM Ignashov, Sefo, Bernardo

MAX

1 Masato
2 Petrosyan
3 Buakaw
4 Souwer
5 Kraus
6 Kyshenko
7 Sato
8 Zambidis
9 Roosmalen
10 Parr

HM Kohiruimaki

I also did a video highlighting my top ten favorite K-1 knockouts of all time. Enjoy.

BORKED
Great vid man! Thanks for posting
Axe is offline  Top
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #36
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

How are Muay Thai fighters their cardio?
How is it compared to elite welterweight boxers?
dyna is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #37
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post
How are Muay Thai fighters their cardio?
How is it compared to elite welterweight boxers?
Depends where they're from and train.

Short answer, your average Thai compares well and at elite level probably has superior cardio. Serious non Thai fighters training out of Thailand probably compare quite well. It's hard for non Thais training in their home countries to reach an elite level unless they are fully pro, as many are balancing regular jobs along side their training although the nature of the sport does demand a high level of cardio even at a basic level. 5 rounds on the pads MT would have even super fit Ricky Burns blowing pretty hard.

Thai Muay Thai fighters are some of the fittest super conditioned fighters on the planet with tremendous cardio. Remember these guys are essentially "born" or "bred" to only fight form a very young age. They are "owned" or purchased by a gym or promotional team and are akin to workhorses in a stable whose life involves pretty much only training year in year out. They train a minimum of 6 hours a day, 6 days a week with no distractions and no down time and very little time off except for western New Year and Thai New Year Songkhran. They are commodities that grow up in the gym where they live eat and breath only Muay Thai for often over a decade sometimes two. These guys including the top P4P boyz also fight very often, twice a month for years developing records in the 100s, unlike the only 2 fights a year the current Elite boxing welters limit themselves to.

An Elite boxers cardio needs to be pretty shit hot and impressive to push through 12 rounds at a hard pace, MT is only 5 rounds but in MT you use you're whole body, knees, clinching, kicking all energy sapping techniques that are deployed at an ever increasing pace as the speed of the fight increases as the rounds progress. Unlike boxing the most intense rounds are the last two, so the momentum of the fight builds rather than decreases as is the case in western boxing.

I'm not saying one form has better or worse cardio than the other as both are tremendously demanding sports that even at just a basic level compared to many other sports need a relatively high level of cardio to even train in semi comfortable manner. MT fighters train in a very similar manner to western boxers using many of the same methods and with very much the same mentality and fitness goals.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #38
Raggamuffin
You dipstick
ESB Full Member

vCash: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by latineg View Post
cool thread with the GIFs !!

Hug was the only guy that i really recall using that neat head kick while his leg is on its way back down, yes i know its got a REAL name but i canne recall it. Even recall him creating some serious damage with this kicking technique a few times, very unique and cool to watch.

Axe kick
Raggamuffin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum