Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #31
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: R.I.P Ramon Dekkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatman12345 View Post
If a black guy goes to Thailand would he be called a farang or is there a different name for him? If so what is it?
Yeah...it wouldn't be nice
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 12:03 PM   #32
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

RIP Ramon was too young.
196osh is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #33
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatman12345 View Post
If a black guy goes to Thailand would he be called a farang or is there a different name for him? If so what is it?
Depends if he's proper African or from a "farang" country. In an everyday sense and usage "Negro", "Khon Africa" or "Khon Dam" - Khon meaning people and Dam meaning black, I've also heard Farang Dam and things like Negro America or Negro Angkrit (U.K.) for guys form the "west". Very often in a boxing context if the guy is from what would be deemed a "farang" country, they'd simply refer to him as Dutch for example, but always being under the umbrella of Nak Muay Farang because most foreign fighters tend to be white with a sprinkling of North Africans and only a few black guys. They have a rather large Nigerian community in BKK so are familiar in some regard to Africans, but also very wary as the Nigerian community is usually up to no good, like passport fraud, money laundering, fake dollar bills etc. etc. People from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia are all termed as Kaerk even if they come form the States or the UK.

Danny Bill possibly the farang GOAT in terms of Thai Muay Thai was French Cameroonian and gets bags of respect in Thailand like Dekkers did. I've heard him called French, Cameroonian, as well as most of the above with the additon of also being Nak Muay Farang.

As like most things in Thailand the word farang can be bent to many usages, but on the whole is used in regard to white forigners where ever they come form. The word derives from colonial times when there were lots of French in neighbouring Cambodia and Laos, the Thai word for French is "Farangcais". It also means Guava in Thai by the way and in Issan slang a white foreigner is "Backshida" which also in Issan means Guava but on occasion is used in a negative way to talk about you behind your back rather than using the common word Farang.

The Thais are a very welcoming bunch but also super nationalists who routinely look down on elements of their own kind. They tend to view different ethnicity and nationalities threw very antiquated stereotypes and they tend to lump them all together, so if your white for example we all tend to like, eat and do the same things in thier eyes whether we're from London, Siberia or Helsinki. Kinda like westerners tend to do with Asians! "There all the same" kinda thing.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #34
HeGlassedMe
ufc is the new pet rock
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
a practitioner of Thai Boxing who is not originally a Thai from birth
Quote:
Originally Posted by boranbkk View Post
Foreign boxer. "Farang" means foreigner with light skin and “Nak Muay” just translates as “Boxer” and is used to refer to Muay Thai fighters, Boxers, Amateur Boxers, Wrestlers and “MMA” fighters alike. It’s been adopted in the West by guys who don’t speak Thai and has been used incorrectly for some time now outside of Thailand in the sense that it is used by westerners to refer to only Thai boxers.

“Nak” is just a Thai prefix used to show someone who has a vocation, you then combine it with the action and this makes the vocation For example:

Nak Rien = Student
Nak Turagit = Business man
Nak Tong Tio = Tour Guide
So in the fight world:
Nak Muay Thai = Thai Boxer
Nak Muay Sakon = Western Styled Boxer (Pro)
Nak Muay Samak Len = Amateur Western Styled Boxer
Nak Muay Baum = Wrestler and surprisingly MMA fighter.
Thanks for the education.
HeGlassedMe is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #35
oatman12345
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 857

Quote:
Depends if he's proper African or from a "farang" country. In an everyday sense and usage "Negro", "Khon Africa" or "Khon Dam" - Khon meaning people and Dam meaning black, I've also heard Farang Dam and things like Negro America or Negro Angkrit (U.K.) for guys form the "west". Very often in a boxing context if the guy is from what would be deemed a "farang" country, they'd simply refer to him as Dutch for example, but always being under the umbrella of Nak Muay Farang because most foreign fighters tend to be white with a sprinkling of North Africans and only a few black guys. They have a rather large Nigerian community in BKK so are familiar in some regard to Africans, but also very wary as the Nigerian community is usually up to no good, like passport fraud, money laundering, fake dollar bills etc. etc. People from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia are all termed as Kaerk even if they come form the States or the UK.

Danny Bill possibly the farang GOAT in terms of Thai Muay Thai was French Cameroonian and gets bags of respect in Thailand like Dekkers did. I've heard him called French, Cameroonian, as well as most of the above with the additon of also being Nak Muay Farang.

As like most things in Thailand the word farang can be bent to many usages, but on the whole is used in regard to white forigners where ever they come form. The word derives from colonial times when there were lots of French in neighbouring Cambodia and Laos, the Thai word for French is "Farangcais". It also means Guava in Thai by the way and in Issan slang a white foreigner is "Backshida" which also in Issan means Guava but on occasion is used in a negative way to talk about you behind your back rather than using the common word Farang.

The Thais are a very welcoming bunch but also super nationalists who routinely look down on elements of their own kind. They tend to view different ethnicity and nationalities threw very antiquated stereotypes and they tend to lump them all together, so if your white for example we all tend to like, eat and do the same things in thier eyes whether we're from London, Siberia or Helsinki. Kinda like westerners tend to do with Asians! "There all the same" kinda thing.
Thanks
oatman12345 is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Depends if he's proper African or from a "farang" country. In an everyday sense and usage "Negro", "Khon Africa" or "Khon Dam" - Khon meaning people and Dam meaning black, I've also heard Farang Dam and things like Negro America or Negro Angkrit (U.K.) for guys form the "west".
I like that one.

Last edited by Flea Man; 02-28-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #37
Semtex
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 580

Ramon Dekkers - The man behind the Knockouts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

(Someone please embed I am clueless)

A true legend.
Semtex is offline  Top