Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 03-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What happens to the WBA Light Heavyweight Title now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Darius was interested in the slightest in defending against live american competition.He was loyal to the WBO and had no intention of leaving Germany to take on anyone that represnted a risk.
Then why did he unify with Virgil Hill for the lineal and IBF, WBA Light heavyweight title. And yeah he also beat Griffin.

So to say he wasnt "interested in the slightest" in facing live americans...is laughable.
Diablo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #17
HOF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
True.But back the Darius never would have wanted it and Jones was going abroad to get jobbed again like he was in Korea.Jones was the big ticket not Darius.Darius Sven and Joe all sang from the same hymn sheet back then. Making easy money and comfortable defences.
I hate to to say this as I utterly despise German boxing, but I know for a fact from official promoting channels and comments that went on the record that Darius agreed to fight RJJ in New York. But Jones refused the fight and made this clear in a well documented interview, stating that Michalczewski held no interest for him. Seems a strange statement to make. Whether you think Roy would've hammered him or vice versa or whatever, you can't get away from the fact that they were the 2 main men at the same weight at the same time and didn't meet. Shame
HOF is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #18
Beatboxer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF
I hate to to say this as I utterly despise German boxing, but I know for a fact from official promoting channels and comments that went on the record that Darius agreed to fight RJJ in New York. But Jones refused the fight and made this clear in a well documented interview, stating that Michalczewski held no interest for him. Seems a strange statement to make. Whether you think Roy would've hammered him or vice versa or whatever, you can't get away from the fact that they were the 2 main men at the same weight at the same time and didn't meet. Shame
Bang on.

Jones is as much to blame as DM for this fight not happening and apparently more according to your good self.

Anyone who dismisses the lineal LHW champion offhand particularly one of DM's talent and reknown, is an agenda based fool in my book. Revisionists seem to forget that RJJ was criticised relentlessly for what was percieved to be his poor choice of opposition. I never totally went along with that view, but he did back out of alot of challenging fights I must say that.

As for the never fought any good Americans, disposed of Hill before Jones went near him for a start.

Last edited by Rod2; 04-19-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Beatboxer is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #19
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Mundine shouldn't even have a belt anyway, he is a paper champion.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #20
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
Mundine shouldn't even have a belt anyway, he is a paper champion.
Pubic champion.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycaz
I'm all for giving it to B-Hop, or maybe even throwing it in the mix for Tarver vs Woods, that way the winner is much more of an exciting prospect for Joe after he slaps the ears off Bernard.
Your idea is a good one, but alphabet bodies don't even rank each other's champions, so the chance of the WBA throwing their belt into the Tarver/Woods fight is 0%.

I was going to say that the IBO would do it if their belt was vacant, but Tarver holds it anyway.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 03-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #22
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler
Your idea is a good one, but alphabet bodies don't even rank each other's champions, so the chance of the WBA throwing their belt into the Tarver/Woods fight is 0%.

I was going to say that the IBO would do it if their belt was vacant, but Tarver holds it anyway.
They aphabets ave thrown vacant belts In with champs defending titles before.

Tarver fought for the vacant IBF and WBC In one fight.

Pernell Whitaker also won the vacant WBC while defending his IBF so It's possible but doubt they would do this with Woods Vs Tarver.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum