Old 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Julian Jackson v. Ronald Winky Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
It wasn't the age of Tito for those fights lora..Winky would have dominated him at any stage of their careers. The same with JJ...and it's not because I think that Wright was an ATG or anything, but he was indeed a very adept spoiler type of fighter with a unique style.

Dunno Red, i can definitely see Winky beating Tito prime vs prime, but tito did look awful for me in that fight.I think he'd at least give a far more determined pressure effort in his younger years.
lora is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
No jackson was never really outboxed in his relative prime other than against Graham, but that was more being bamboozled and confused rather than classically outboxed.Graham was beating him up with combo's, pure speed and taking lots of chances.

I don't think you need to pre-emptively blast Jackson out to beat him, but i can't see Wright's brand of pure boxing being the right style both at their best.He's too static with his feet and upperbody, and Jackson was educated and precise enough offensively to break that down, at least when combined with great power anyway.If he had been more of a one-handed or hooking puncher i'd have given him less chance, but he had good variety and hit hard with every shot.
Very well stated lora.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

All I know is Winky better not try giving Jackson a free shot like he did against Mosley
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #19
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
All I know is Winky better not try giving Jackson a free shot like he did against Mosley
I don't think he'd do that with JJ.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #20
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 1040

Wright kind of reminds me of Larry Holmes. Great skills, good power. However he can get careless. This will cost him against Jackson.
When a great punch meets a great chin. More often than not the punch wins.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

I don't think of Jackson having good stamina but he had several late knockouts including one in the 12th round. Maybe i'm overly influenced by the Tate fight, which was past his peak.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #22
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I'm a big fan of Winky and his ability, but I'll have to side with Mante on this one.

Winky's shell has barely able to contain the offense of Vargas, Simon and Taylor and of course Vasquez busted him up (prior to Winky developing a hardened shell).

Jackson's offense supersedes those guys so you'd have to think that he'd be able to land some damaging shots that swing the fight his way.

I don't see it being one sided, but it will likely go the way of the Vasquez fight in that Wright generally outboxes him but he'll get beat up and knocked down in patches and end up losing the fight by a good few points.

I won't say Jackson knocks Wright out because he did have a lot of heart, but he'll batter him in spots.

The counter argument of course is that Winky held up well against Tito who is a powerful offensive unit and will do the same against Jackson, but I think Felix was well beyond his best there and would have given a much better account of himself pre-Hopkins.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #23
Shawn Kemp
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Jackson is a fat better fighter and fought far better people then Trinidad did so comparing them is pretty silly. But wait the media told you he was better just like they tell you Michael Jordan is better than Wilt Chamberlain when the numbers clearly favor Wilt huh?

Jackson by knock out in lesss than 3 rounds.
Shawn Kemp is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Jackson would squeeze shots through as he did against Drayton. Winky's jab would be a consistent weapon as Jackson liked to pick his moments.

Still, Jackson would do the far more scoreworthy work IMO. Decision win, possibly controversial.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #25
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
Wright kind of reminds me of Larry Holmes. Great skills, good power. However he can get careless. This will cost him against Jackson.
When a great punch meets a great chin. More often than not the punch wins.
Kill yourself
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #26
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I reckon Jackson knocks him out, he was fast enough to break through McCallum's defence and hurt him so I think he can break through Winky's defence
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #27
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I love JJ`s true one puch power !! But, primed Winky was an incredible ring tactician... Hnads high, lots of jabs coming from that southpaw stance and good soild chin. Now i do believe that Jj has the power to crack that chin, maybe. But McCallum was able to shake it off and nailing winky with enough solid shots to get him on the deck ? Thats a problem. I have to go with a 12 UD for Winky based on his tight boxing skills,southpaw skills, and he`d bang that body just enough to take some steam out of JJ.
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I don't like Wright's flat footed stance and defensive style against Jackson at all.

jackson is not going to traditionally outbox him, but Wright doesn't fight in a way that will give him any breathing room for stretches, nor does he have the punch to keep jackson overly cautious.

I see him hitting Jackson a lot, but getting wailed on and slowly broken down physically.You saw how much more vulnerable he was without his developed defence against maybe the biggest puncher he fought in JCV, so while i do think he possessed solid durability(which is significantly enhanced against certain styles by his eventually more developed defence) i don't think he's the kind of flat footed, light punching fighter that can stand in front of jackson all night and just take it.

You really want to be controlling the ring and slipping a fair amount of shots against a guy like Julian.Not taking them all on your arms and gloves.i wouldn't pick Starling over jackson either and i think he had perhaps the best consistent glove\arm defensive techniques i've seen., but similar drawbacks to Winky.

Wright will certainly be competitive, but i see Jackson's offensive output and sheer bludgeoning force limiting his own offensive output too much to win.He's not got the ability to really fire back and take the play away like McCallum did, and JAckson is a far more determined formidable beast than the Tito that Winky schooled.

this is assuming both at best at 154.I think Winky could win a decision against the midlleweight-especially post-herol graham -Jackson, who no longer had the same balance or overall offensive ability.

I agree. I think Wright, with his hands held high and taking punches on his gloves gets beaten badly by Jackson.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
Nate 2011
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Winky all day! He'd make Jackson look clumsy in there for all 12 or 15 rounds and Jackson wouldn't be anywhere near lucky in catching Winky with the same signature shot like the one he caught a young Terry Norris with a year before Norris knocked out John "The Beast" Mugabi.
Nate 2011 is offline  Top
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

According to Mike McCallum, the key to Jackson's power was his speed. The punches came very quick and he only needed one. Winky could and would be hit. Julio Cesar Vazquez knocked him down 5 times. I really don't like his flat footed style here. I think Julian sparks him.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum