Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

 
  


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #151
toffeejack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,535
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Yup it's regrettable the fight never happened. The risk/reward ratio was poor for Hopkins here. A fight away from home, for a crap belt against a highly skilled opponent. The fact Hopkins will face him now at 43 makes it all less relevant. And before any of you zealots say a word, YES I WILL GIVE JOE FULL CREDIT IF HE WINS.

If Joe had really wanted to unify before he could have done. I don't understand this theory. It's not as if he knew one day better fighters would hold the belts. What would he have done, sat around waiting for better opponents to win the belts forever while at the same claiming to be p4p?
I dunno mate maybe he could have unified sooner but you know ****** is a snake and all the politics that go on no one really knows.

I think this will be a very scrappy fight though, Hopkins is a great but is too old to take the fight to Calzaghe.

I can honestly see him using every trick in the book to try and win this and I bet he's watched the Bika fight to see hoe Joe can sometimes be dragged into someone elses fight and try and rough him up.

I think Calzaghe will be ready for this though and will win by late stoppage or UD.
toffeejack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #152
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
He didn't get dominated. Have you even seen the fight? I might watch it again now actually.

You don't know Kessler will go on to do anything, Johnson has.

The point is Echols wasn't a 168 fighter & neither was Brewer but Joe sure made a meal out of beating him.

I still believe he won the second Taylor fight as do most others.

De La Hoya & Trinidad are two truly great fighters & cannot be mentioned in the same breath as Lacy & Kessler. A hype job & a maybe man.
So Echols is not a 168 fighter but De La Hoya and Trinidad are both middles? Neither did anything near their best work at MW. You can pretend its not a factor, but against a huge MW I'm afraid it is. Still, good wins, better than Kessler/Eubank certainly not

Yes, he got whooped by Jones. At no point did he ever look like winning that fight, which means he got whooped in my book

The fact it was even close against Taylor tells a story. What it should tell you is that Hopkins stands no chance in this fight. He struggled with Taylor's speed and movement. How is he going to fair against an A calibre fighter's movement? Do you think Taylor would be competetive against Calzaghe? Think about that carefully, otherwise I could seriously start doubting your analytical knowledge of matchups

The rest of their resumes are much of a muchness. Good wins over B levels. Brewer/Reid/Mitchell and co vs Johnson/Echolls/Winky (at LHW anyway)

There is more riding on this fight than people think, depending on how competetive it is
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #153
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by toffeejack
I dunno mate maybe he could have unified sooner but you know ****** is a snake and all the politics that go on no one really knows.

I think this will be a very scrappy fight though, Hopkins is a great but is too old to take the fight to Calzaghe.

I can honestly see him using every trick in the book to try and win this and I bet he's watched the Bika fight to see hoe Joe can sometimes be dragged into someone elses fight and try and rough him up.

I think Calzaghe will be ready for this though and will win by late stoppage or UD.
It's too easy to blame ******. Joe could have walked away & been his own man like Hopkins but didn't. I will have eternally more respect for Hopkins because he done things his way.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #154
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
So Echols is not a 168 fighter but De La Hoya and Trinidad are both middles? Neither did anything near their best work at MW. You can pretend its not a factor, but against a huge MW I'm afraid it is. Still, good wins, better than Kessler/Eubank certainly not

Yes, he got whooped by Jones. At no point did he ever look like winning that fight, which means he got whooped in my book

The fact it was even close against Taylor tells a story. What it should tell you is that Hopkins stands no chance in this fight. He struggled with Taylor's speed and movement. How is he going to fair against an A calibre fighter's movement? Do you think Taylor would be competetive against Calzaghe? Think about that carefully, otherwise I could seriously start doubting your analytical knowledge of matchups

The rest of their resumes are much of a muchness. Good wins over B levels. Brewer/Reid/Mitchell and co vs Johnson/Echolls/Winky (at LHW anyway)

There is more riding on this fight than people think, depending on how competetive it is
Eubank was finished & I still don't see all the fuss with Kessler. Neither of have them have achieved anything like what DLH & Tito have who are shoe in HOF's.

My idea of a whooping is getting a severe beating, losing every round & possibly being KO'd. Jones maintains Hopkins gave him one of his sternest tests despite his lack of experience.

The Taylor fights were uncomfortably close but I do think Hopkins was starting to feel the strain at the weight at this point. His simple transfer to 175 is an illustration of this. A Taylor Calzaghe fight at 168 would probably end in the 10th round with Joe consistently tagging taylor with chopping (slaps?) punches. Taylor neither having the movement or defensive capability to avoid them.

Whats riding on this? I personally hope Hopkins retires after this fight win or lose. As for Joe I expect he'll fancy the Jones fight now years after he's past his best.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #155
TFFP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Eubank was finished & I still don't see all the fuss with Kessler. Neither of have them have achieved anything like what DLH & Tito have who are shoe in HOF's.

My idea of a whooping is getting a severe beating, losing every round & possibly being KO'd. Jones maintains Hopkins gave him one of his sternest tests despite his lack of experience.

The Taylor fights were uncomfortably close but I do think Hopkins was starting to feel the strain at the weight at this point. His simple transfer to 175 is an illustration of this. A Taylor Calzaghe fight at 168 would probably end in the 10th round with Joe consistently tagging taylor with chopping (slaps?) punches. Taylor neither having the movement or defensive capability to avoid them.

Whats riding on this? I personally hope Hopkins retires after this fight win or lose. As for Joe I expect he'll fancy the Jones fight now years after he's past his best.
Like I said, it depends how the fight goes. If Joe destroys him as I anticipate, it proves Joe is a stylistic nightmare for old Bernard. It would give an indication of how a prime matchup would go. Obviously I have to take into account Hopkins age which is why I'm not satisified with a close win, but then Joe isn't a spring chicken either

Joe has said he isn't interested in Jones, but Pavlik. If he takes that fight I will be very disapointed

There is a lot riding on this, because if Joe doe the job I expect, and then beats Pavlik retiring undefeated there is definitely a claim for him being highly ranked as an ATG and not just at SMW. If heaven forbid Hopkins wins...well...that would be huge for him. He'd be a lock for top 30 ATG. Some people have him there already, but not me
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM   #156
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP
Like I said, it depends how the fight goes. If Joe destroys him as I anticipate, it proves Joe is a stylistic nightmare for old Bernard. It would give an indication of how a prime matchup would go. Obviously I have to take into account Hopkins age which is why I'm not satisified with a close win, but then Joe isn't a spring chicken either

Joe has said he isn't interested in Jones, but Pavlik. If he takes that fight I will be very disapointed

There is a lot riding on this, because if Joe doe the job I expect, and then beats Pavlik retiring undefeated there is definitely a claim for him being highly ranked as an ATG and not just at SMW. If heaven forbid Hopkins wins...well...that would be huge for him. He'd be a lock for top 30 ATG. Some people have him there already, but not me
We did it! A conclusion of sorts. I don't have Hopkins top 30 ATG either so no issue there. I think if you're hoping for an utter whipping you will be dissapointed you should just be happy with the win as I'm sure Joe will be should he do it.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM   #157
Diablo
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 683
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b
Eubank was finished & I still don't see all the fuss with Kessler. Neither of have them have achieved anything like what DLH & Tito have who are shoe in HOF's.

My idea of a whooping is getting a severe beating, losing every round & possibly being KO'd. Jones maintains Hopkins gave him one of his sternest tests despite his lack of experience.

The Taylor fights were uncomfortably close but I do think Hopkins was starting to feel the strain at the weight at this point. His simple transfer to 175 is an illustration of this. A Taylor Calzaghe fight at 168 would probably end in the 10th round with Joe consistently tagging taylor with chopping (slaps?) punches. Taylor neither having the movement or defensive capability to avoid them.

Whats riding on this? I personally hope Hopkins retires after this fight win or lose. As for Joe I expect he'll fancy the Jones fight now years after he's past his best.
I dont expect Joe will bother with Jones. I think it speaks volumes both Hopkins and Calzaghe have dismissed him...they both see him as a joke and nothing to be gained in terms of legacy
Diablo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:43 AM   #158
hitman_hatton1
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: england
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

i favour hops on this one.

i've always thought he's got the style to beat joe.

good on the counter, fast hands, awkward, good spoiler, tough as old boots, decent puncher.

people are saying he throws 10 punches a rd and all that bollocks. but he can go with a pace as he's proved so often in his career.

hops on a decision.

hope i'm wrong.
hitman_hatton1 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #159
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo
I dont expect Joe will bother with Jones. I think it speaks volumes both Hopkins and Calzaghe have dismissed him...they both see him as a joke and nothing to be gained in terms of legacy
I think to call him a joke is taking a touch far but he's certainly a diminished fighter who I wouldn't be interested in seeing either Joe or Bernard take on now.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 AM   #160
Farmboxer
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 35,738
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Calzaghe is an excellent fighter, but look for the US Boxing media to cut him down, not to mention the criminal judges and referee.
Farmboxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM   #161
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboxer
Calzaghe is an excellent fighter, but look for the US Boxing media to cut him down, not to mention the criminal judges and referee.

The referee will be Joe Cortez according to FWTV.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #162
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxstuff
Cortez isn't a bad choice for Joe here. The only one who'd be better would be Nady.

Both like clean fighting and restrict holding.

Calzaghe seems happy with the choice of referee from what I've read.
elle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #163
dan-b
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Calzaghe vs Hopkins

He's reffed a Hopkins fight before as well without incident.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013