Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #121
angry cuban
Huge Boxing Fan
ESB Full Member

vCash: 650
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragón, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
So KC, any chance you could ask your friend in Santa Isabel de las Lajas about whether more Aragón video might be floating around?

Also, I'm curious to know if he ever spoke about the possibility of turning pro or his reasons for not doing so. (probably nationalistic loyalty, as with others who chose the same abstinence)

...and did he ever speak on the Mayweather bout? Did he feel he got a fair shake? Was he complimentary of Mayweather? Did he comment on Todorov getting the nod over a man he fought tougher against?
In Cuba boxers and high level athletes in general are supervised all the time.if they talk about to became pro they will never box again..I know you can't picture this in your mind but it's like that...also Cuban boxers go thru a long process which takr many years and they are chosen like at the age of 7-8 they exercise a lot and train all day and night..they don't stud y so..don't look for smart answer of something specific...man..I will like you to watch a documental in you tube about cuban school of boxing and how everything work in there..it hava English subtitles..is call Cuban Punch Up the boys who found for Castro..please watch it and tell me what are you throughs on that..I m very interested in your opinion...this kids have no live..they only train..Rigo, Gamboa, Lara everyone of them fo thru the same.
angry cuban is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #122
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry cuban View Post
In Cuba boxers and high level athletes in general are supervised all the time.if they talk about to became pro they will never box again..I know you can't picture this in your mind but it's like that...also Cuban boxers go thru a long process which takr many years and they are chosen like at the age of 7-8 they exercise a lot and train all day and night..they don't stud y so..don't look for smart answer of something specific...man..I will like you to watch a documental in you tube about cuban school of boxing and how everything work in there..it hava English subtitles..is call Cuban Punch Up the boys who found for Castro..please watch it and tell me what are you throughs on that..I m very interested in your opinion...this kids have no live..they only train..Rigo, Gamboa, Lara everyone of them fo thru the same.
No, I'll look for that...
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #123
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 35250

Another coup counted by Aragón:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Vilmos Balog represented Hungary at the 2004 Olympics, qualifying by defeating Viktor Poliakov, a very good Ukrainian boxer who has since turned pro and gone 11-0 (6) with a couple of decent wins. Balog himself debuted in '05 and has since racked up a 30-0 (16) record, although it's fairly padded other than one fellow unbeaten prospect against whom he acquired a vacant bauble.

Balog got completely wiped out by Aragón in 2003.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #124
Staminakills
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragon, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Interesting to note: Aragon took the 1st and 3rd in the view of both the judges and yours truly. So going by rounds instead of total hit-count he bested Mayweather 2:1.

Taking it a step further, if we apply the professional style scoring system it could well be a 30-26 shutout for Aragon! (since Mayweather landed more in the 2nd but did get dropped, making it automatically 10-8 for Aragon)

Clearly this Lorenzo Aragon was one of his generation's most excellent products of the Cuban amateur program. A forgotten stud.

Also impressive is the way he out-muscled Mayweather in the clinches. Mayweather was just a kid, but he was a strapping, athletic, hungry kid.
real scoring does not make a round 10/8 automatically. not supposed to be some dumbasss judges do give 10/8 an it doesnt matter who won the round itself without the kd. way too many flaws in scoring for boxing.

i'm probably in the minority but i think we are missing out on great fights and especially great 2nd half of fights ignoring open scoring. i think open scoring will make for greater fights and much great fight ending.

if i know i am down after 8 i can legitimately try for the ko win instead of accepting a points defeat. if you know you need to win out the remaiming rounds i want a heads, especially if you and everyone else thinks you're winning
Staminakills is offline  Top
Old 02-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #125
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 162
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Lorenzo Aragon, July 31st 1996

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staminakills View Post
real scoring does not make a round 10/8 automatically. not supposed to be some dumbasss judges do give 10/8 an it doesnt matter who won the round itself without the kd. way too many flaws in scoring for boxing.

i'm probably in the minority but i think we are missing out on great fights and especially great 2nd half of fights ignoring open scoring. i think open scoring will make for greater fights and much great fight ending.

if i know i am down after 8 i can legitimately try for the ko win instead of accepting a points defeat. if you know you need to win out the remaiming rounds i want a heads, especially if you and everyone else thinks you're winning
Look at Alvarez vs. Trout.

They found out Alvarez had it almost wrapped up after 8 rounds.

Alvarez chilled. Trout didn't have it in his toolbox to do anything else, so he kinda chilled too...

I don't like open scoring. In theory it can be alright but my guess is in practice it would lead to more boredom than anything.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum