Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #46
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the win that got Duran into the top 10?

Duran vs. SRL 2 proved he evolved... Please.. go watch more SRL if you think that's true. Never again did he fight like that until Hagler.. and even then.. it wasn' t like No. 2... He evolved and this fight proved it LMAO
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #47
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
You try to avoid Duran threads as much as you can? You're NOTORIOUS for making threads about other fighters into Duran threads.
because Duran and the other guys were the fighters I always followed more than any fighters starting in the 1970s. So I use that era as my main points.. I have always said Duran was great, but what I discuss is not whether he was great it is that he was 1-10 ATG.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #48
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

you can't address my post.. cause you know you have no answer either.
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #49
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
you can't address my post.. cause you know you have no answer either.
one moment you guys tell me they have seen everything I have to say, now you want me to address what I have addressed probably 500 times before?
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #50
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuRuPT View Post
Duran vs. SRL 2 proved he evolved... Please.. go watch more SRL if you think that's true. Never again did he fight like that until Hagler.. and even then.. it wasn' t like No. 2... He evolved and this fight proved it LMAO
Ray learned how to fight his fight and that he cannot beat everyone with just one style. With Duran he became the matador and then the puncher in rounds 7 and 8 when he was hitting Duran clean and Duran didn't want to fight anymore. With Hearns he became the puncher. With Hagler all around tactician, and with Benitez the fighter. He could only beat those guys if he was versatile.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #51
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
Ray learned how to fight his fight and that he cannot beat everyone with just one style. With Duran he became the matador and then the puncher in rounds 7 and 8 when he was hitting Duran clean and Duran didn't want to fight anymore. With Hearns he became the puncher. With Hagler all around tactician, and with Benitez the fighter. He could only beat those guys if he was versatile.
anj is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #52
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Let's just all get it off our chests and admit it.

Leonard looked tepid in the Duran rematch, it was often running, not quality boxing.Duran looked crap.

It was a terrible fight, beyond Oscar vs Tito levels of badness.

IF duran didn't quit and it continued as is with Leonard most likely winning a clear uneventful decision, i think after the hysteria died down BOTH fighters would have taken a lot of flak.

Duran shamefully quitting disguised what a mediocre safety-first effort it was.Of course leonard might well have upped the offensive output and looked better later, once he was assured Duran had been entirely frustrated and didn't have that much on the night, who knows.

Fight was crap.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #53
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Then again Leonard had a lot of fanboys too and that all important media support.Maybe i'm hoping for too much in thinking both would have eventually been criticised.
lora is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #54
NWS
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
There was never a win that just propelled him up there, really. Detract Leonard and you mightn't have him there, obviously. Same with Barkley.
If Duran had hung them up in July 1980, he'd be 72-1 and still have wins over Ray Leonard, Ernesto Marcel, Ken Buchanan, Carlos Palomino and Esteban DeJesus (x2), with his lone defeat avenged twice over by KO. His legend would be absolutely unstoppable and borderline insufferable. He'd be God.
NWS is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #55
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Actually, one point MAG. You said beating Leonard was not that great as to give him a top 10 position, but to be fair..I have Leonard as probably the second best fighter H2H ever after Robinson, IMO.
It's more glamorous than a win over a Henry Armstrong or a prime Ezzard Charles for example.
anj is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #56
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj View Post
Actually, one point MAG. You said beating Leonard was not that great as to give him a top 10 position, but to be fair..I have Leonard as probably the second best fighter H2H ever after Robinson, IMO.
It's more glamorous than a win over a Henry Armstrong or a prime Ezzard Charles for example.
when he fought Duran in 1980, just fighting Duran's fight shows he was not yet that top level fighter. Later he learned how to use everything to win a fight. Ray was on his second defense of his first title. Think of most great fighter and tell me if they were great at that point in their career. Hearns right after Cuevas? Whitaker near the same point was losing to Ramirez, yet we saw how well Pernell did in the rematch.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #57
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Let's just all get it off our chests and admit it.

Leonard looked tepid in the Duran rematch, it was often running, not quality boxing.Duran looked crap.

It was a terrible fight, beyond Oscar vs Tito levels of badness.

IF duran didn't quit and it continued as is with Leonard most likely winning a clear uneventful decision, i think after the hysteria died down BOTH fighters would have taken a lot of flak.

Duran shamefully quitting disguised what a mediocre safety-first effort it was.Of course leonard might well have upped the offensive output and looked better later, once he was assured Duran had been entirely frustrated and didn't have that much on the night, who knows.

Fight was crap.
Leonard was throwing like 25 punches a round. And he wasn't particularly accurate. And he was still winning. Terrible fight. Still haven't seen the 3rd one.

Last edited by LittleRed; 03-06-2013 at 08:28 PM.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #58
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

1. Luigi Minchillo
2. Wellington Wheatley
3. Pat Lawlor
4. Ray Leonard
5. Alvaro Rojas
the cobra is online now  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #59
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
1. Luigi Minchillo
2. Wellington Wheatley
3. Pat Lawlor
4. Ray Leonard
5. Alvaro Rojas
Leonard over Carlos Mendoza. Bold.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #60
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
because Duran and the other guys were the fighters I always followed more than any fighters starting in the 1970s. So I use that era as my main points.. I have always said Duran was great, but what I discuss is not whether he was great it is that he was 1-10 ATG.
That response neither makes sense nor does it have anything to do with what you typed. You wrote that you try to avoid Duran threads as much as you can, which is the 2nd lie in which I have caught you. Once again, you are NOTORIOUS for turning threads that have nothing to do with Duran into threads that focus on Duran. You have an agenda. We all get it.

Last edited by Clinton; 03-06-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Clinton is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum