Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Shadowboxing with dumbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassJaw***ist View Post
Arthur Abraham uses weighted boxing gloves when training. He says it helps with his power.
A lot of anecdotal evidence being posted. Anyone got any actual proof this method works? I've never seen any, probably because it doesn't really do what people seem to think it does.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #17
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactsOfLife View Post
I doubt anyone has done a study on it one way or the other however.

Boxing isnt a big team sport, nor is it a university sport, plus, on average the people who are involved on the professional level tend to be less educated.

Lots of big money fighters of course...but they aren't going to shell out money to do studies......
They don't need to, it doesn't work in terms of power/strength/speed.

1. The most obvious one - the resistance is in the wrong direction. The weight will pull your arms downwards, it won't resist against you throwing the punch which is the supposed effect.

2. To increase power you need to increase speed and or strength. Moving around such a light weight isn't going to improve strength. Using a weight lighter than your gloves is utterly pointless; just wear your gloves. Using a heaviesh weight (in terms of the method we're talking here, heavier than the heaviest gloves on the market) is going to throw off punching mechanics which in turn will slow down the punch if anything as you have to decelerate the weight a huge amount. No speed increase there.

You can increase speed with technique work which is a far better idea.

3. You're far better off using resistance bands as Scrap suggested as this way the resistance is in the correct direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
Floyd Mayweather does it a lot.

A normal person will get tennis elbow from it

I know some of you guys like to think professional boxers are super human, I'll let you in on a secret... they're not. I'll give you the fact that they can push themselves harder and are tougher than the average guy, but that in no way makes them immune to injuries that anyone else would get doing the same training.

Last edited by viru§™; 03-02-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

I saw a study of it but it said that the guys who used dumbells had little to none increase in hand speed while the ones who didn't use them had an increase in hand speed. this was like 2 years ago though.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #19
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Two big Heavyweights
scrap is online now  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The guy doing the interview seems to be a bit of a tit, but this video gives the basics for improving punching speed. Very good, basic information that actually works.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 03-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofRAGE View Post
It's not a new concept, and as far as I know it's a pretty well accepted technique amongst trainers and fighters. Floyd Mayweather does it all the time and it works pretty well for him. I'd be inclined to take the P4P #1 fighter in the world's advice on boxing over some random dopes on a forum.
Here we go again, lets ignore science because some great fighter does something different.

Also I know that isn't what you meant but it kind of looks like you are attributing Mayweathers success and ability to him punching with dumbells.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Here we go again, lets ignore science because some great fighter does something different.

Also I know that isn't what you meant but it kind of looks like you are attributing Mayweathers success and ability to him punching with dumbells.
I'm sure Mayweather has a certain technique he uses to drink a glass of water, maybe that helps with his boxing. Mayweather does it so lets just copy him!

Or are these guys just cherry picking the boxing training they think works or looks cool and copy that because Mayweather does it even though there's no way to tell if the specific training improves a damn thing? Hmmm

It's idiotic to just do something because somebody else does it, even if they are the best in the world.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #23
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetsofRAGE View Post
Punching with light dumbells (no more than 3 pounds, but 1 or 2 pounds is better for a smaller guy) actually improves hand speed and power. I recall hearing about a Russian boxing coach who did studies/ experiments that proved this to be true. I can't find any info on the guy right now because I forget his name, but I know I've read in more than one place about this.

It's not a new concept, and as far as I know it's a pretty well accepted technique amongst trainers and fighters. Floyd Mayweather does it all the time and it works pretty well for him. I'd be inclined to take the P4P #1 fighter in the world's advice on boxing over some random dopes on a forum.

The same effect can be achieved by using heavy gloves in sparring and training.

The Russian coach I mentioned earlier advised his fighters to start by doing short intervals using the heaviest weight (usually 3 pounds, but I've heard of heavyweights using 5 pounds or more) and then tapering down in the next intervals by doing a lower weight (maybe 2), and then move onto 16oz gloves, and then shadowboxing for a round or two.

After proper recovery, the end result will be a gain in hand speed and power.

A couple of you mentioned you've done this and it "felt" like you were faster afterwards, but you assumed it was a mental trick of some sort. It probably was, because you don't get stronger immediately. Your muscles have to rest in order to rebuild themselves and get stronger.

It does work, but it's fine if you're skeptical. You don't have to take my word for it. Do some research and you can find out for yourself.
I've heard of Russian studies showing that olympic style weightlifting improves speed and power in boxers but never anything about hand weights. It doesn't make any sense for hand weights to improve punching speed because you don't punch with your arms unless you're pushing your punches, I'd like to see that study.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #24
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306

Brandon Krause breaks down the relationship between resistence and handspeed. He eloquently explains that when wearing weights, there is a focus on vertical handspeed whereas a boxer wants more horizontal handspeed. Watch this video and become enlightened.

xRedx is offline  Top
Old 03-03-2013, 04:11 AM   #25
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Speed comes from correct Posture of the Body.
scrap is online now  Top
Old 03-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #26
boxbible
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Punching with weighted resistance can certainly help with power and endurance. But the downside is that, in order to stop the momentum created, some of the minor muscles can get overtaxed and lead to chronic injury. So, there's a very small window for increase in resistance (weights) before the risks outweigh the benefits.

On the other hand, if you use elastic bands, then those minor muscles are not overtaxed trying to stop the momentum since the elastic does that anyway.
boxbible is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
A lot of anecdotal evidence being posted. Anyone got any actual proof this method works? I've never seen any, probably because it doesn't really do what people seem to think it does.
2:50 on this video.

GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
2:50 on this video.

I don't think that's proof
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
I don't think that's proof
What more proof do you want? Abraham uses the technique and has crushing power, particularly at middleweight. I suppose you want an official document written by Dr Frankin R Slopenshaft of Zebrugge University.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
What more proof do you want? Abraham uses the technique and has crushing power, particularly at middleweight. I suppose you want an official document written by Dr Frankin R Slopenshaft of Zebrugge University.
So from all the variables in a boxers program and all his training through the years you've narrowed it down to his use of punching with dumbells? How do you know it's not the way he wipes his ass? He has that ass wiping technique and has crushing power, what more do you want?
You're a special kind of stupid.
dealt_with is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing