Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #31
Muchmoore

vCash:
Default Re: Alistair Overeem injured and out of UFC 160 Fight vs JDS

Hunt deserves an elite level fighter by now for sure but the UFC is scared because he's not American or Brazillian. They'll probably throw another grappler at him and hope he gets knocked off.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #32
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Finally people start to realize how overrated Reem is, he only won because people came out scared shitless of him. Overeem is a perfect indicator if his opponent is a real fighter or not.

Look at Pride days, couldn't get a win to save his life. Comes to Strikeforce/UFC and everyone pisses themselves.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #33
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf View Post
Finally people start to realize how overrated Reem is, he only won because people came out scared shitless of him. Overeem is a perfect indicator if his opponent is a real fighter or not.

Look at Pride days, couldn't get a win to save his life. Comes to Strikeforce/UFC and everyone pisses themselves.
New fans b....New fans see muscles....Muscles = good.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings View Post
New fans b....New fans see muscles....Muscles = good.
I dont think its as simple as muscles. He is a fan friendly guy, when he wins he is often devestating, he prefers to keep it standing (appealing to casual fans) he is well spoken, he is a good looking guy (homo), he released an online documentary (pretty rare for fighters to do something like that). But yeah the jump from 205 to heavyweight in terms of appearance was pretty startling and when people see his traps etc it gets people talking and he's done well in creating an image for himself.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
I dont think its as simple as muscles. He is a fan friendly guy, when he wins he is often devestating, he prefers to keep it standing (appealing to casual fans) he is well spoken, he is a good looking guy (homo), he released an online documentary (pretty rare for fighters to do something like that). But yeah the jump from 205 to heavyweight in terms of appearance was pretty startling and when people see his traps etc it gets people talking and he's done well in creating an image for himself.
...And none of that dispels what Overeem always was since the PRIDE days. Which was a fragile fighter. He was fragile at 205. So he's hardly going to be less fragile fighting bonafide heavys weighing in excess of 250lbs. Don't get twisted i'm a fan. I like Overeem. Id like to see him succeed. But his had a great run, and the UFC acquired his services because of that. But this is the big leagues and Overeem just doesn't have the natural ability's, chin/cardio to cut the mustard.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #36
BUMPY KNUCKLES
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
...And none of that dispels what Overeem always was since the PRIDE days. Which was a fragile fighter. He was fragile at 205. So he's hardly going to be less fragile fighting bonafide heavys weighing in excess of 250lbs. Don't get twisted i'm a fan. I like Overeem. Id like to see him succeed. But his had a great run, and the UFC acquired his services because of that. But this is the big leagues and Overeem just doesn't have the natural ability's, chin/cardio to cut the mustard.
Yeah you make good points, and you should know him if you were watching pride! I never saw watched any pride fights (until the time I got into MMA on youtube). I think he gets alot of unnecessary stick personally he's an easy target I guess.
BUMPY KNUCKLES is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #37
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMPY KNUCKLES View Post
Yeah you make good points, and you should know him if you were watching pride! I never saw watched any pride fights (until the time I got into MMA on youtube). I think he gets alot of unnecessary stick personally he's an easy target I guess.
To be fair its legitimate criticism. The older fans here who watched Overeem in PRIDE know the deal. He was a good fighter but he was never one of the top fighters at 205. So he's hardly going to be one of the best fighters in the world at heavy.
He's done exceptionally well since taking hormones and moving to heavy, but even guys like Bas have been critical of him as Overeem bought into his own hype and success.
Its also a shame that the UFC have seen fit to remove the PRIDE fights from most video streaming fights, which prevents newer fans from seeing the history of some of the veteran fighters.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Great f'n post, especially as I'm with you on boldandlined
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #39
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Joey Maxim beat Curtis Sheppard, one of the most renowned punchers of the day, a few weeks after being starched by him.

Reem had what, 4 months to get ready? He'd be fine. And Thracian, the Tete-a-Tete with Nate was a very interesting watch.

Anyway WARRR HUNTUUUU!!!!
Thanks, Flea!
Thracian is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

No problem, will be getting the book, seems to explore the kind of stories mine will (not related to MMA by the way) so I'll be sure not to subconsciously jack any of your style
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #41
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

I was looking forward to JDS crushing Overeem brutally
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #42
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
No problem, will be getting the book, seems to explore the kind of stories mine will (not related to MMA by the way) so I'll be sure not to subconsciously jack any of your style
Sounds good. Looking forward to it.
Thracian is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #43
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

Quote:
To be fair its legitimate criticism. The older fans here who watched Overeem in PRIDE know the deal. He was a good fighter but he was never one of the top fighters at 205. So he's hardly going to be one of the best fighters in the world at heavy.
He's done exceptionally well since taking hormones and moving to heavy, but even guys like Bas have been critical of him as Overeem bought into his own hype and success.
Its also a shame that the UFC have seen fit to remove the PRIDE fights from most video streaming fights, which prevents newer fans from seeing the history of some of the veteran fighters.
Im actually a huge reem fan but it seems the old reem is still there regardless of his newly built physique ...looks near unstoppable when dishing it out but come time for him to recieve abit back in return he shows next to no fighting fortitude.

Actually the Bigfoot fight reminded me of his pride fights vs chuck & shogun looked good early on or atleast in control then folds like a cheap deck of cards once the opponent starts coming on strong ..

I believe reem blew his chance as I feel if he go through big foot which he should of Cain would of been a more winnable fight for him
Then vs jds .. Jds is all wrong for reem . Huge puncher with good chin..
ozziebattler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum