Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Lesnar Overeem, what was Lesnar thinking!

He was scared
kel is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
BoxingFanMan

vCash: 500

I wonder how long it was for Joe Rogen to be able to get a hard on after that?
BoxingFanMan is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BULLY View Post
As I said at the time, and was ridiculed for it, Lesnar being good at wrestling was the biggest myth in MMA. He WAS good at wrestling at school, then he did the panto stuff then in MMA he had no wrestling whatsoever. I can't recall a single take down. He even missed a dazed Herring with a bull charge. Complete fraud.
His Takedowns were borderline pathetic. But hey the UFC had to sell him...And the fans believed the hype about his fabled NCAA credentials...
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #19
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
i thought the same thing at the time. he looked fragile (if you could ever call brock that) and seemed to have no gameplan whatsoever.
i picked overeem to win and i dont know if lesnar could beat him but he didnt even give himself a chance.
Yep. Soon as he took the knee to the body, he was looking for a way out. Maybe it was always a cash-out fight, or maybe he genuinely didn't realize just how much strength and confidence his illnesses had taken out of him. But he definitely looked very fragile, and was certainly mentally and physically badly declined. And fair enough, considering just how serious his illnesses were.

He gets a raw deal around here though. Some guys, they get a pass, and others just get hated on. I mean, Shogun's submission loss to Forrest is basically written off entirely because of his knee problems, but Brock losing to Reem and Cain is because he sucks and is a fraud and a joke.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
Yep. Soon as he took the knee to the body, he was looking for a way out. Maybe it was always a cash-out fight, or maybe he genuinely didn't realize just how much strength and confidence his illnesses had taken out of him. But he definitely looked very fragile, and was certainly mentally and physically badly declined. And fair enough, considering just how serious his illnesses were.

He gets a raw deal around here though. Some guys, they get a pass, and others just get hated on. I mean, Shogun's submission loss to Forrest is basically written off entirely because of his knee problems, but Brock losing to Reem and Cain is because he sucks and is a fraud and a joke.

I think it's a PRIDE thing
kel is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #21
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post

Yeah, the way Brock ran away from punches then quit the sport whilst Shogun came back won the belt and avenged his defeat are the same thing

''Pass''...nice one
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #22
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Yeah, the way Brock ran away from punches then quit the sport whilst Shogun came back won the belt and avenged his defeat are the same thing

''Pass''...nice one
Haven't seen too many guys in their 30s get so badly sick over a span of months - on two different occasions - go through such a dramatic operation as having a foot of colon taken out of their bodies, and then return at anything close to full strength.

Not that Brock was going to beat Reem even without the illness, but let's not pretend that his months and months spent dealing with two bouts of sickness, operations, and subsequent weight loss and muscle atrophy didn't have a MASSIVE impact on his MMA career.

And yes, many fighters get passes for certain losses. Shogun simply being the most notable. Besides, if you're going to trade excuses, Shogun never truly avenged the Forrest defeat.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #23
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

But no one has said the surgery didnt affect Brock in this thread, so your Shogun strawman is redundant

If your whining about why Shogun gets more respect than Brock, then, well...

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
But no one has said the surgery didnt affect Brock in this thread, so your Shogun strawman is redundant
Let's see any of the "Brock sucks" crowd acknowledge that his repeated serious illnesses had a massive impact on his fighting ability and career. Months spent on a sick bed instead of learning in the gym, followed by months spent simply trying to recover what was lost instead of training new skills.

Brock was apparently a moron when it came to training anyway, but it's plain idiotic to not acknowledge his illnesses and surgeries and the part they played in his career. He overcame an incredible number of obstacles in his short career, he showed incredible balls just to get in the cage and fight, he never ducked a challenge, and he overachieved in the cage. That's the truth of Brock. His career is to be applauded, not shit on by wankers.

Quote:
If your whining about why Shogun gets more respect than Brock, then, well...

Shogun should get more respect. He's a legend of the sport, and has several great victories along with a few embarrassing and one-sided defeats. And being a legend of the sport, he doesn't need the pathetic excuse-mongering that his nuthuggers come up with every time he loses.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #25
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

So Brock is getting a pass then, gotcha fella

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #26
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebox View Post
I dont think people realize how much the surgery took out of Lesner. He wasn't the same fighter after and seemed timid and weak.
Yep. His whole life he'd always been bigger and stronger than everyone he was competing against. He was a physical monster.

Put him on a sickbed for months, take 40 pounds of muscle away from him and take away his confidence in his body, and he loses a lot. It's like taking away Liddell's chin - when he couldn't take the punches anymore, he couldn't beat anybody at the top level.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #27
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

Quote:
So Brock is getting a pass then, gotcha fella

A pass for what? From who?

I said that he trained like a moron and would likely never have beaten Reem anyway, sickness or no sickness, so he isn't getting much of a pass from me.

I just don't shit on the guy, call him a fraud etc, and whine about Dana and Zuffa whenever a Brock thread comes up. I enjoyed Brock's career, I thought he brought a lot of interest and excitement to the division. I like that his high profile brought more eyes to the sport in a positive way, and I respect what he achieved and the hardship he overcame. That's it.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #28
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #29
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He was scared shitless of The Reem. And for some reason, he wasnt as much of an asshole in that fight as before, so he was easy pickings.
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 03-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #30
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's about the context and connotations of your original statements regarding the redundant strawman you brought up
To sum up

Brock loses after surgery, and loses some of his best attributes in terms of strength, it's a reason

Shogun loses after knee surgery, loses some of his best attributes in terms of stamina, it's an excuse from his ''pathetic'' fans

Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum