Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Godfather
I put the G in God
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Ronda Rousey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
Her stand up is so poor that I would be surprised if any male ufc 135 lb fighter couldn't tko her in the 1st rd.
This. Her stand up seems terrible to me.
Godfather is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #18
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyll View Post
What if she fought the worst male fighter in the flyweight division? Those guys are tiny.
Those flyweights are only 10 pounds lighter in the weigh-ins than she is.

They also naturally have more muscle, less useless fat, more explosive power, better stamina, more solid bone structure, and are just all-round much better athletes than she is.

Of course she could trap some UFC flyweights in an armbar, if they were on the ground with her. And being a judo Olympian is 100% legit. She'd embarrass some pro fighters if they ****ed up. But they're all pro fighters in the world's premier MMA organization too - not just joe schmoes off the street.

Realistically, those flyweights are going to be stronger than her, (and not by a little), faster than her, have better cardio than her, be more well-rounded than her, and (very likely) take a better punch than her. Her technique in some areas will be better, but she's not a well-rounded fighter at all, and any UFC flyweight would annihilate Ronda's competition every bit as easily as she has. If they can shrug off her throws and takedowns, I would expect pretty much any UFC flyweight to KO her in the first.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

It's like when I sometimes practice in the nets with the women's cricket provincial rep team. The best ones are better cricketers than I am - better technique, better range of shots etc. But I can bully them with either bat or ball, simply because I'm much stronger than any of them. I have far superior upper body strength, and don't have useless boobs to get in the way. So I can bowl faster than any of them and hit the ball harder than any of them, even though my technique is clearly inferior to some of them.

But I'm a man and they're women, so I can simply overwhelm them with brute strength and superior biology. If I was allowed to play in their games, I'd be easily the fastest bowler and the biggest-hitting batsman on the Australian or New Zealand team, and I'm no better than a fair athlete.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #20
aliwasthegreatest
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

A woman is not going to beat a man in combat sports. Especially not in their own weight class or even a few weight classes down. They are slower, weaker, less able to take the punch of a guy.

Rousey is an amazing fighter to watch and I appreciate what she's doing for WMMA as I actually enjoy watching it. They give more effort than the men do and don't puss out as they feel they have more to prove.

I've grappled with women who were much better grapplers than me. A very small amount of focus will get you the win. You can power out of things you'd never power out of grappling a guy, and you can simple impose your will grappling woman at almost any time you want.

That said, Ronda would **** me up in every way imaginable. She is a Judoka gold medalist. That shit is very legit. She'd toss me on my head and if I was still conscious she'd grace me with an armbar.

Now, if I had a year or two of actual fight level training she wouldn't be any match for me. Simple reality. She'd still be a better fighter than me, but physical advantages win here.
aliwasthegreatest is offline  Top
Old 03-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #21
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

If there's one thing that Judoka's have a tendency to really suck at, it's striking and striking defense.

Rousey doesn't move her head very well yet. She might be able to eat some punches from some elite level women, but guys are another story when it comes to striking. As it is, 1 in 10,0000 women is on par with the average guy naturally. She might have freaky strength for her size, she looks to have a powerful build. But when her opponents are all as strong as her, and carry the natural punching power..

Lets just say I'm not convinced she's going to be close to having a Mark Hunt chin.
Koa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum