Hopkins by KO 0 0%
Hopkins on points 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #46
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You may want to check out the 20 or so southpaws he dominated Wayne.

If you were going to write a book on 'how to write a southpaw' you'd reference Hopkins constantly.
True, but please tell me your not lumping Hagler in with `those ordinary` southpaws ? ? ... Plus, if Allen was able to trouble Hopkins first time out, and Mercado drop him twice. I dare think that a rock solid, prime Hagler does much better than you realize. As I stated, noone came close to beating Hagler for a very extended period, after the Monroe fight. Never dropped, or seriously challenged. Where at middle Hopkins had just enough issues to lead me to belive that Hagler would get to him. Lest we forget that Taylor beat him twice, as did Jones and Mercado hung a draw on him as well.
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #47
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Not sure about that, but I do know that he lost against two of them, and neither were RJJ.

Anyhow, that's comparing records/achievements and I was comparing abilities. In my eyes, Hagler isn't far ahead of Hopkins in any area ability-wise, but I do think Hopkins have a clear advantage in the tactical department. Not a knock on Hagler, though, since B-hop is ahead of almost anyone in that regard.
Very accurate post. look I am saying it`s a damn close fight. To be honest, i almost didn`t post on this at all, I love Hopkins and his old school way of getting his business done. i just think that the Hagler that was virtually ignored while trying to get a shot, the hungry Hagler who wouldn`t shake hands with ANY opponent. That Hagler has a little too much juice for Ex. And I PROMISE you that Ex would not try any prefight instigating tactics with Hagler and he sure as shit wouldn`t intimidate him either. Hagler would look him him dead in the eye and dare him to bring it... Again good southpaws gave Ex some trouble. Hagler was a very good southpaw...And painfully reminding people that Hopkins had losses to, Jones Taylor twice and a draw with Mercado. Last time I checked, Halger never lost at middle (after the Worm ) until SRL, and that was controversial ...
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #48
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Not sure about that, but I do know that he lost against two of them, and neither were RJJ.

Anyhow, that's comparing records/achievements and I was comparing abilities. In my eyes, Hagler isn't far ahead of Hopkins in any area ability-wise, but I do think Hopkins have a clear advantage in the tactical department. Not a knock on Hagler, though, since B-hop is ahead of almost anyone in that regard.
He was jobed against Boogaloo, and the Monroe fight was close and Hagler went into the fight sick. Yet he destroyed both in rematches. And noone came close until the Leonard fight ... While Hopkins lost to Jones,drew with Mercado was behind on points to Allen until the DQ, (getting floored twice as well)`, and lost to Taylor twice.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #49
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Marvin too strong and too much pressure UD
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

And I`m going out on a limb and saying that Willie `the Worm` Monroe, when he was hot had a damn good shot at beating Hopkins too...
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
He was jobed against Boogaloo, and the Monroe fight was close and Hagler went into the fight sick. Yet he destroyed both in rematches. And noone came close until the Leonard fight ... While Hopkins lost to Jones,drew with Mercado was behind on points to Allen until the DQ, (getting floored twice as well)`, and lost to Taylor twice.
That's not a very balanced post.

He drew with Mercado as much as Hagler drew with Antuofermo, and he was 40 when losing close fights to Taylor. And RJJ was a level (at least) above anyone that Hagler fought, never mind beat.

But again - I'm not comparing records here, I'm comparing abilities.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #52
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That's not a very balanced post.

He drew with Mercado as much as Hagler drew with Antuofermo, and he was 40 when losing close fights to Taylor. And RJJ was a level (at least) above anyone that Hagler fought, never mind beat.

But again - I'm not comparing records here, I'm comparing abilities.
There you go ... Anyone who thinks that Hagler truly drew with Antuofermo, is clueless about boxing. That was a highway robbery of epic proportions !! While Hopkins was dropped TWICE and had a close hard fight with Mercado. Hagler`s fight with Vito, not close. If you can`t see that and your trying to compare the two ? Pointless conversation ...As for abilities, while Hopkins can and did get dropped, more than a few times, Hagler doesn`t, ever. Prime Hagler didn`t lose... So Hopkins is going to outpoint a prime Hagler, over 15 rds ?? Please don`t tell me you think Hopkins stops Hagler ??? He can`t beat Hagler because he can`t intimidate him and he sure as shit won`t outwork him either ... As for tougness... You get the point ...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 704

I would pick Hopkins close but clear.... Hagler is greater but just looking at how the styles mesh.
Also how the hell do you hold Hopkins kds vs Mercado against him considering the circumstances?
Why not look at what happened in the rematch.
Daruf is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #54
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
There you go ... Anyone who thinks that Hagler truly drew with Antuofermo, is clueless about boxing. That was a highway robbery of epic proportions !! While Hopkins was dropped TWICE and had a close hard fight with Mercado.
I think both were robberies.

Quote:
Hagler`s fight with Vito, not close. If you can`t see that and your trying to compare the two ? Pointless conversation ...As for abilities, while Hopkins can and did get dropped, more than a few times, Hagler doesn`t, ever. Prime Hagler didn`t lose... So Hopkins is going to outpoint a prime Hagler, over 15 rds ?? Please don`t tell me you think Hopkins stops Hagler ??? He can`t beat Hagler because he can`t intimidate him and he sure as shit won`t outwork him either ... As for tougness... You get the point ...
Yeah, I think Hopkins might well outpoint Hagler over 15, for the reasons I've already stated. Nothing to have a fit about.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #55
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Marvin too strong and too much pressure UD
I think he'd be playing into Hopkins hands by going after him.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #56
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hagler 15 rd UD. Since we are talking about warriors here... 12 rds, not for old school fighters. Hagler`s hunger skills and pressure, he won`t let Hopkins dictate, brings home the win. And Hagler will have no problems with Hopkins shots, granite chin, while I DO think Hagler could get to Hopkins chin a bit, enough to get him defensive ... As for a rematch, damn they were both killers in rematches ! So I`m really at a loss who takes bout 2 !!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #57
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

You guys keep bringing up these Philadelphia middleweights as being better than anyone Hopkins fought. Really? How many of you have actually even seen those guys fight? Show me what they did that was better.

Would Hopkins have lost to Alvin Phillips or Max Cohen like Monroe did in his prime?

Would he have been knocked out against a faded Gonzalez or Nate Collins like Hart was?

Would he have been been knocked out by David Love like Watts was?

Even Briscoe, the best of the bunch, was defeated multiple times by far less than stellar competition.

Hopkins is head and shoulders above all four, nostalgia for a group of extremely colorful, competetively matched clubfighters keeps their names in the public eye but those guys were never championship calibre fighters, none of them, not ever.

Only Briscoe fought on past his physical prime, and only Briscoe fought at the world championship level (losing every time) yet every one of those guys racked up numerous losses to men they should have been able to beat handily if they were as good as some would lead us to believe. Part of the reason those guys were so well publicized is the fact that Russell Peltz was a close friend of Nigel Collins who wrote numerous articles trumpeting those guys in the boxing rags at the time and went on to a position of influence at Ring Magazine where he could continue to trumpet their legacy long after most would have forgotten them.

Briscoe fought something like 8 or 9 future, current, or past champions. He defeated two. Mustafa Muhammad, who was a 15 fight novice, and Vicente Rondon a weak paper champion who himself only had 21 fights, losing 4 and who had already defeated Briscoe once.

So you can inflate Hagler's wins over these guys but its not like any of them were unbeatable or even close to Hopkins' level.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #58
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
True, but please tell me your not lumping Hagler in with `those ordinary` southpaws ? ?
Some of them were a fair bit better than ordinary, ie Winky Wright, Tarver. And Vanderpool was very good imho

Southpaw-Orthodox are often partly won by who works the angles better and Hopkins would work them better than Hagler

Quote:
... Plus, if Allen was able to trouble Hopkins first time out,
Haven't seen this one but he's dominated better southpaws than Allen.

Quote:
and Mercado drop him twice.
Flash KDs in a fight he dominated from start to finish, should have been 9-3 instead of a draw.

Quote:
I dare think that a rock solid, prime Hagler does much better than you realize. As I stated, noone came close to beating Hagler for a very extended period, after the Monroe fight. Never dropped, or seriously challenged. Where at middle Hopkins had just enough issues to lead me to belive that Hagler would get to him.
I think Hagler would give him a good fight no doubt, but back Hopkins better ring smarts/tactics.

I'll dispute Hopkins having issues at MW:

Quote:
Lest we forget that Taylor beat him twice, as did Jones
He was 38 against Taylor and those were razor thin, and Jones is a league above anyone Hagler's faced

Quote:
and Mercado hung a draw on him as well.
That was never a draw my friend, 10-2 or 9-3 Hopkins, the fights on youtube if you wish to view it. I've made a thread on here with my scorecard.

Anyway we could do this with this Hagler: Taken to the limit by Duran, pushed to a controversial loss by a not so great Antufermo (I thought he should have won ofcourse but Antufermo did push him) beaten by a smaller Leonard, went life and death against the unskilled Mugabi. Most fighters have some hard close fights or losses.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #59
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
He was 38 against Taylor and those were razor thin, and Jones is a league above anyone Hagler's faced
40 and for the first time struggling to make 160lb
Arcane is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #60
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
It would be remiss not to mention the same thing for Hopkins though, who basically let guys like Taylor, Dawson and Calzaghe outhustle him without taking the chances needed to maybe turn things his way.

Yes I know he arguably won the Taylor and Calzaghe fights but hey, Hagler arguably won the Leonard fight too and in all truth comfortably outpointed Duran.
I think there's a difference though; in Hopkins' fights, he wasn't allowed the space to work as he usually would. Calzaghe stalked and peppered him consistently, as did Dawson, and Taylor's jab and ability to hang back forced Hopkins to engage. Hagler seemed to neglect the obvious. Duran fought a smart, competitive fight, but not a busy one, so I consider it Hagler's imperative to press. Using an orthodox stance against Leonard for 4 straight rounds was just puzzling. Although you could argue Leonard was also removing the space for Hagler to do his usual work. And I'm starting to get the sense that same-stanced fighters can pressure each other more effectively.

But you do have a point in that Hopkins' reluctance to take chances was there. I don't think he'd go out on his shield if he felt he had in his own mind somehow fought the better fight.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum