Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default A question for those that rank Barrera over Morales.....

Would you still rank Marco over Erik if their 3rd fight never took place & the rest of their careers went exactly as they did ?
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: A question for those that rank Barrera over Morales.....

Probably not.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

No deal. That was Marco's most valuable win in my book. It solidified his legacy.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

That`s why I rank Morales over Barrera (not a lot in it though) I thought that was a razor close fight, certainly not enough to swing anything Barrera`s way as far as ranking goes over Morales... the HBO team were disgraceful in Barrera`s favour (same in all 3 fights actually though they were extreme in the 3rd fight)

The British commentary like Morales & Barrera about equally & their opinion on the fight was more realistic, some had it even & some had it no more than a point either way.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

He's not though, even with that win.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
That`s why I rank Morales over Barrera (not a lot in it though) I thought that was a razor close fight, certainly not enough to swing anything Barrera`s way as far as ranking goes over Morales... the HBO team were disgraceful in Barrera`s favour (same in all 3 fights actually though they were extreme in the 3rd fight)

The British commentary like Morales & Barrera about equally & their opinion on the fight was more realistic, some had it even & some had it no more than a point either way.
Would you rank Morales over Barrera if Morales didn't beat Paquiao?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No deal. That was Marco's most valuable win in my book. It solidified his legacy.
My point is should a fight like that, a very close fight if we are being truthful, be enough to rank Barrera over Morales ?... especially if you think Morales has had the better career outside of the trilogy.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
We're all entitled to our opinions...just ours differ, that's all.

Quote:

You rank Morales over Barrera because you like him more, Bill. No more, no less. It's fine.

Quote:
My point is should a fight like that, a very close fight if we are being truthful, be enough to rank Barrera over Morales ?... especially if you think Morales has had the better career outside of the trilogy.
It was relatively close, but I thought the winner was pretty clear. MAB was the underdog, he was at a new weight, and he beat a fellow ATG who was coming off impressive performances when he himself was being dismissed as past it.

So yeah, a win like that really does make the difference. For me, it makes the difference between MAB being a great fighter or an ATG fighter.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Bill, should a win over Pablo Cano be the difference instead? Or should a closely fought contest against Maidana, but one Morales ultimately lost, be the difference?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
I didn't think it was particularly close. Very competitive but MAB was clearly better. In my opinion.

MAB had a very good FW tenure. He has the distinction of being the only man to beat the then no.1 126lber in the World and one of the hardest P4P punchers of the time. No one else managed that. Morales did beat Pacquiao but then if that's such a big distinction then do we hold Marquez over all of 'em? Because I don't and I'm sure you'd like to maintain 'El Terrible' is greater than JMM as well.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Would you rank Morales over Barrera if Morales didn't beat Paquiao?
And everything else remained the same ?... yes, but only very slightly, the big difference being I scored the first 2 fights for Morales though & most scored the first 2 fights 1-1.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I agree, I rank Erik a little ahead of Marco as things are but I get the feeling that the majority that do have MAB ahead do so because they felt he proved superiority in the trilogy, I don`t see it that way but some do.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You rank Morales over Barrera because you like him more, Bill. No more, no less. It's fine.
I do like him more, I also like him more than Chavez, Sanchez, Pep, Duran & Leonard, but I don`t rank him over any of them because they were greater fighters than Erik. I`m just pointing out that its crazy to rank one guy over another based on one fight between the two, a fight that no true superiority was shown, just like it wasn`t in two previous meetings between said fighters.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
I do like him more, I also like him more than Chavez, Sanchez, Pep, Duran & Leonard, but I don`t rank him over any of them because they were greater fighters than Erik. I`m just pointing out that its crazy to rank one guy over another based on one fight between the two, a fight that no true superiority was shown, just like it wasn`t in two previous meetings between said fighters.

Okay, so let's put more weight in the Pablo Cano win...and the Maidana performance.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I didn't think it was particularly close. Very competitive but MAB was clearly better. In my opinion.

MAB had a very good FW tenure. He has the distinction of being the only man to beat the then no.1 126lber in the World and one of the hardest P4P punchers of the time. No one else managed that. Morales did beat Pacquiao but then if that's such a big distinction then do we hold Marquez over all of 'em? Because I don't and I'm sure you'd like to maintain 'El Terrible' is greater than JMM as well.
Morales has a solid claim to be the 2nd best SBW ever behind Gomez, Barrera (nor JMM) can say the same in any weight class they competed in.

For the record, I rank EM, MAB & JMM all on the same level. None of these men are clearly ahead of the other two IMO.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum