Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #1337
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139
Default Re: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Rocky Marciano

....so what, what now? it's at 101. has it gone super saiyan yet? someone gonna make this a well earned sticky?
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1338
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorodz View Post
is that really him? ****. was just watching some of him against tua not long ago
Not my finest moment.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 03-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #1339
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Not my finest moment.
sorry brother, but still you worked the jab that night and took a ton of hard shots pretty damn well
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #1340
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Ibragimov, Chagaev and Haye were all capable of launching themselves from a crouch. Brewster and even Peter were capable of throwing leaping hooks with plenty of mustard on them.

Rocky's left was surprisingly fast for a man so generally lacking in speed, but it wasn't anything that Wlad hadn't seen before. It was also a very short shot, and those can be difficult to land flush against men substantially taller than yourself.

Whilst there's definitely a mental aspect to Wlad's wearing down tactics, there's a physical aspect as well. And a man of Rocky's size and hittability (relative to Wlad's accuracy I mean) would be shipping major punishment on a consistent basis for many rounds. There's nothing to suggest that he holds up to such punishment without going down at some point. Rocky could be hurt, he could be dropped. On every occasion he was to pull the cat out of the bag, but to say he would do so against a fighter of Wlad's size and skill level is a rather bold gamble.
You've listed people as capable but they didn't really throw them. And couldn't throw them like Marciano could.

Why would Rocky get a lot of punishment? He comes forward in a crouch like Peters in the first 2 rounds but would maintain that aggression so Wladimir never sets up his fight.

He establishes "his fight".The Old timers won't allow that because he doesn't have the speed or footwork.He stands there with his left jab out,feet not moving and soon as the opponent moves he retreats or his bends and jabs. Rocky constantly comes forward like Peters did in fight 1 for the first couple of rounds and Wladimir had nothing to answer with except move.

Rocky has the best chin in boxing behind/with Ali. Wladimir relentless power is this the same power that landed on Wach? It seems people that don't quit can last besides. Rocky when he fought for the title/defence only one person was not knocked out.
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #1341
SP_Mauler
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
By the way, I PM'd Fast Eddie Chambers before and he told me Wladimir would beat the shit out of Rocky Marciano.

So that's what? Two actual professional boxers that have traded punches with Wlad picking him over Rocky?

See sense, dinovelvet.
So Izon and Chambers over Ali? Ok
SP_Mauler is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #1342
UnleashtheFURY
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 118

Can't believe this thread is still getting posts.. anybody with half a brain knows Wlad would win easily.
UnleashtheFURY is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #1343
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I honestly see the thought process as going either way.

Some folks have their rose tinted glasses on for the old champions, or see Rocky's heart, grit, and ability to generate pressure and hard punching as overwhelming the fragile-minded Klitschko. Fair enough. That isn't without logic.

Others, like me, look at a Wlad as being the much larger, faster, longer, and more powerful man, with the tools he'd need to neutralize much of Marciano's offense.

Seems to me both camps have legitimate thought processes. Why kick the can down the road?
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #1344
KOTF
Bingooo
East Side Guru

vCash: 66874

Wlad by early decision
KOTF is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #1345
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

Some folks have their rose tinted glasses on for the old champions, or see Rocky's heart, grit, and ability to generate pressure and hard punching as overwhelming the fragile-minded Klitschko. Fair enough. That isn't without logic.

Others, like me, look at a Wlad as being the much larger, faster, longer, and more powerful man, with the tools he'd need to neutralize much of Marciano's offense.

Seems to me both camps have legitimate thought processes. Why kick the can down the road?

Absolutely.

It's a classic case of a Monday morning quarterback fight. The winner wins probably easily doing what they do best. Loser dominated or nullified or ineffective. It might be a toss up fight going in, but the result won't be that way and it'll be one sided one way or another. Sometimes matches are like that.

It might boil down to the best cutman and which guy gets busted up worse and the corner that does the best job with their guy wins.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #1346
Rajon Rondo
Journeyman

Quote:
Not my finest moment.
You got him at the Olympics though, I'm a New Zealander and was very disappointed that day in 1992 lol.
Rajon Rondo is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #1347
lefe
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I think Rocky wins.I know he was small but he had great physical power for small man.He was not easy to hit unlike many experts on this forum thinks and he had big,big punch.He would do pressure wit low bob and weave,hitting Wladimir to the body,that big muscle arms constantly and knocked him out.He was very unorthodox fighter and punching from all angles with his punches,hooks,uppercuts,overhand rights.I know everybody says he was small,slow but he would not be slow for Klitschko.His upper body movement was pretty fast,I am sure that fighters like Walcott,Charles,La Starza were much faster than Klitcshko and had much more number of punches than Klitschko. People just can't figure that Marciano was different animal than today fighters,he was non stop punching power machine.Like Archie Moore said one time about George Foreman comeback:'Sure that George can be champion again.There is not heavyweights like Marciano today.'
lefe is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #1348
obviousalt
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 8060

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefe View Post
I think Rocky wins.I know he was small but he had great physical power for small man.He was not easy to hit unlike many experts on this forum thinks and he had big,big punch.He would do pressure wit low bob and weave,hitting Wladimir to the body,that big muscle arms constantly and knocked him out.He was very unorthodox fighter and punching from all angles with his punches,hooks,uppercuts,overhand rights.I know everybody says he was small,slow but he would not be slow for Klitschko.His upper body movement was pretty fast,I am sure that fighters like Walcott,Charles,La Starza were much faster than Klitcshko and had much more number of punches than Klitschko. People just can't figure that Marciano was different animal than today fighters,he was non stop punching power machine.Like Archie Moore said one time about George Foreman comeback:'Sure that George can be champion again.There is not heavyweights like Marciano today.'
I think Moore was talking about Marciano his willpower and not his physical size/strength
obviousalt is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #1349
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

Very fair, and probably one of the few on this entire issue. Although I am big on Marciano as a defense on ESB your points are the most logical and even-keeled. You have the real heavyweight experience and in the ring reality and I have found you have no agenda. I have found your posts insightful and fair
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #1350
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Bump
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum