Hopkins by KO 0 0%
Hopkins on points 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #91
Arcane
One More Time
East Side Guru

vCash: 488
Default Re: Bernard Hopkins vs Marvin Hagler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
No pal, just reality. And not buying into the hype ... Love how you guys love to say,`Hagler was hurt` ... Even though your talking about a guy who fought any and all comers and never hit the deck. And because I and some others, don`t agree with your point of view, I wear rose colored glasses ??? It`s typical , Hagler wasn`t given a shot for years he TRULY earned it. And no alphabet titles for him, the real deal. And he still doesn`t get the proper respect.
It's not 1982 anymore, Hagler gets all the respect he deserves and rightly so. He's much loved and respected by modern boxing fans more so then even SRL and Hearns. People appreciate his long hard journey to the top and doing things the hard way. As a MW Hagler is ahead of Hopkins in a ATG sense atleast in my opinion anyway i'd say Hagler is top 3 while Hopkins at best is top 5 BUT in a h2h prime for prime fight people recognise Hopkins brings the ring IQ and phyiscal tools to defeat Hagler but that doesn't diminish Haglers greatness.

For example personally speaking I rank Hopkins higher then Jones in a general ATG sense but h2h i'd give Hopkins no more then a 20% chance to beat Jones prime for prime.
Arcane is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #92
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Jones achieved more than Hopkins ever did. As an added bonus he gave Hopkins a nice loss
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #93
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Jones achieved more than Hopkins ever did. As an added bonus he gave Hopkins a nice loss
Bollox.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #94
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Jones top5 wins are better than Hopkins, Hopkins has more depth/longevity. Jones peak ability was a couple of level above Hopkins though.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #95
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
It's not 1982 anymore, Hagler gets all the respect he deserves and rightly so. He's much loved and respected by modern boxing fans more so then even SRL and Hearns. People appreciate his long hard journey to the top and doing things the hard way. As a MW Hagler is ahead of Hopkins in a ATG sense atleast in my opinion anyway i'd say Hagler is top 3 while Hopkins at best is top 5 BUT in a h2h prime for prime fight people recognise Hopkins brings the ring IQ and phyiscal tools to defeat Hagler but that doesn't diminish Haglers greatness.

For example personally speaking I rank Hopkins higher then Jones in a general ATG sense but h2h i'd give Hopkins no more then a 20% chance to beat Jones prime for prime.
Thanks for sharing that different way of looking at it, makes sense... I would still favor Hagler head to head with Hop (my opinion) But, I also get that what BHop brings to the table is a tough nut to crack as well ... The Jones/BHop comparison makes a lot of sense as well. While we might rate BHop over RJJ in terms of ATG status. I pick prime RJJ over BHop each and every time head to head. His speed and being able to pick hopkins apart would always be too much for Hopkins ...You could make the case that prime RJJ, would be too much for everyone at 160. But, that`s a whole other post !
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #96
Waynegrade
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Jones top5 wins are better than Hopkins, Hopkins has more depth/longevity. Jones peak ability was a couple of level above Hopkins though.
PowerPuncher, you still see Jones over Hopkins, prime for prime as well ? I still see it that way. the thing with Hopkins is, that he has been still taking names over all these years. So he really makes a case for himself climbing the ATG ladder just because he`s still here and he`s still doing it. It is an amazing run, without a doubt !
Waynegrade is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #97
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I think he'd be playing into Hopkins hands by going after him.
Marvin wouldn't go after him he would go in and out and pressure Hopkins but not allow Bernard to set the pace...people forget Marvin had fast hands and good boxing ability and good legs...he did know how to destroy but usually with a boxing attack (the Hearns FIGHTS WAS unique )...Marvin wouldn't fall into B-Hops trap and B-hop would not flash and flurry and steal like Leonard
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #98
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Leonard didn't steal rounds, he earned 'em.
:claps
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #99
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Leonard didn't steal rounds, he earned 'em.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
:claps
Don't tell me you two believe the ray Leonard hype. What a cherry picker. Benitez was totally washed up. I'm pretty sure he never won a fight again. And Hearns and Duran: overtrained and undertrained. I know for a fact that Ray snuck into Durans camp before new orleans disguised with a handle bar mustache as a tortilla vendor, feeding Duran gorditas day after day. The day before no mas he gave him a high powered laxative. Hearns was forced to come in that light; you think he wanted to? Anyway the stoppage was bs just like against Benitez. Don't get me started on the Hagler fight. Giant ring, making Hagler come out orthodox, making Hagler burn himself out while Ray remained fresh not fighting, and then when Hagler was thought to be done coming out of retirement and stealing rounds with nothing punches. Had Ray not asked, at the end of the 12th that the fight be rescheduled who do you think wins?

Yeah Ray earned it.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #100
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
Just have to disagree that Hopkins was quicker of hand than Duran at MW.
I can't take your arguement serious with this at all. It isn't close.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #101
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
Hagler went into the Duran fight with a counterpunching, conservative strategy, which Duran refused to fall into, which created somewhat of a stand-off There would be no such strategy against the taller Hopkins.
You obviously meant to say that Duran went into the Hagler fight with counter-punching, conservative strategy, which Hagler did fall into.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #102
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Marvin wouldn't go after him he would go in and out and pressure Hopkins but not allow Bernard to set the pace...people forget Marvin had fast hands and good boxing ability and good legs...he did know how to destroy but usually with a boxing attack
Yep. That would be the best fight plan.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #103
xRedx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1306

Some very nice posts in this thread.
xRedx is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #104
Jorodz
watching Gatti Ward 1...
East Side VIP

Location: Canada, eh? Roy Jones, Jack Daniels and Grandma's Boy
vCash: 1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegrade View Post
PowerPuncher, you still see Jones over Hopkins, prime for prime as well ? I still see it that way. the thing with Hopkins is, that he has been still taking names over all these years. So he really makes a case for himself climbing the ATG ladder just because he`s still here and he`s still doing it. It is an amazing run, without a doubt !
it is...but jones was still FAR better a fighter than hopkins in his prime, beat him h2h and owned (for a time) 3 seperate divisions with a title at heavyweight being icing on the cake.

hopkins has a case for being ahead, but so does jones
Jorodz is offline  Top
Old 03-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #105
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I think that Hopkins rates higher than Jones as an ATG.
Robbi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum