Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #16
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top HW'S 1925-35 that didn't win title.

You can take any number of guys, not in the our magic dozen even, guys like Griffiths, Rosenbloom, Griffiths, Levinsky, Maloney, look at their careers and they will have beaten a load of top men, they all have their share of lodsses too but no wonder with the number of 50/50 fights they had. Simply put, in that era the top 50 or so fighters fought each other regularly.
Take Loughran's ten-sorry 12- best performances;
Godoy
Hamas
Impellittiere
Sharkey
Baer
Schaaf
Risko
Walker
Braddock
Tunney-draw
Greb
Carpentier.
Hell of a list, he fought all the champs from Dempsey to Louis except Schmeling, failing to defeat only Carnera who outweighed him by 84 pounds! I doubt if 10 HW champions have a better list than that. I believe that only Choynski of the non champions have fought as many linear champions.
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #17
scartissue
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Top HW'S 1925-35 that didn't win title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Schaaf was a very in and out performer but at his best he was a match for any of them. Hard to believe he was only 24 when he died, he had some wins in that time. Lost a majority to Baer, split a few with Loughran, beat Braddock, Uzcuden, Stribling, Maloney, Griffiths, Baer, Risko a who's who of the period-and I'll say it again-only 24 when he died after the Carnera fight. At 6-2 and filled out to 210 he would have been a handful in any era.
I was always very partial towards Ernie Schaaf. Aside from the bouts you mentioned and to clarify, he went 2-2 with Loughran and also beat Tony Galento, Jack Renault, KO Christner, took out rising star Stanley Poreda just before the Carnera fight, put a mercialess beating on Young Stribling and it should be noted that he was ahead on points against Max Baer in their rematch until the KO blow, which, when the bell rang, gave the fight to Baer. I think it was just a very hard career that took a toll on Ernie.
scartissue is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum