Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
The Spider

vCash:
Default Re: Damien Hooper turns pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsosj View Post
hopefully he pulls his head in a bit behaviourally wise, he has all the tools to be a fan friendly boxer who could make some noise
Exactly. From what we've heard of Damien so far it sounds like he needs a good role model to help keep him on the path.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #32
one in a million
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Good news for Hooper, looking forward to seeing what ha can do in the professional fights. He respects and is comfortable with his trainer who's a good role model for him, let's just hope Damien has good ears
one in a million is offline  Top
Old 03-05-2013, 11:53 PM   #33
The Spider

vCash:

A very similar article to the one posted earlier in this thread appeared on-line yesterday >>>

Hatton Promotions have announced the signing of 2012 London Olympian Damien Hooper.

The 22-year-old Australian light-heavyweight, who is from a proud aboriginal heritage, defeated Marcus Browne of the United States last summer prior to being edged out by Russia's eventual gold medallist Egor Mekhontcev.

Before that Hooper had won a gold medal at the 2010 Youth Olympics in Singapore and a silver at the Youth World Championships in Baku, Azerbaijan that same year.

A number of promotional outfits were interested in obtaining the Aussie puncher's signature, but he feels Ricky Hatton is the right man to lead him to success in the professional side of the sport.

"I feel privileged to be signed with Hatton Promotions, the team is fantastic and Ricky is a legend," Damien said.

"I'm going to make some big statements quickly in the pro ranks and I couldn't think of a better promoter than Hatton Promotions to showcase my skill to the world.

"It's the next chapter in my life and I've been looking forward to this for quite some time. I have done my apprenticeship in amateurs and learnt as much possible. Now with my trainer Gareth Williams it's time to put in the hard work and repay the faith everybody has shown in me.

"I want to thank my management Brendan Bourke, Matt Clark and Philippe Fondu and of course Hatton Promotions".

Matt Clark said: "I'm absolutely delighted that Damien has signed with Hatton Promotions. I truly believe that along with Cameron Hammond, Hatton Promotions have signed two of Australia's most talented young boxers and the cream of the 2012 Olympic squad.

"Hatton Promotions now have three Australian's on their books, with Lucas 'Big Daddy' Browne blazing a trail for Damien and Cameron to follow and I know they're keen to develop promising young boxers in this part of the world.

"They're easily the most professional and efficient promoters I've dealt with and signing such a talented prospect in Damien to their company was for me, a no brainer."

Ricky Hatton said: "I'm very excited to have Damien Hooper on board with Hatton Promotions. He's a very talented individual that has the potential to follow in the footsteps of Australian greats such as Jeff Fenech and Kostya Tszyu."

Details of Damien's professional debut will be announced shortly.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 AM   #34
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

What does this mean exactly

"who is from a proud aboriginal heritage"
kel is offline  Top
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 AM   #35
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Gareth sounds like he has a good stable of fresh pro's at the moment. He has good facilities and contacts so I hope it pans out for his stable. From what I've heard Gareth is. Really dedicated trainer who is always learning and picking up new training techniques, he was an assistant Australian amateur trainer at one stage and spent time abroad training national teams, so he has some experience and has worked extensively with Hammond ad Hooper before.

It's funny how some people question the credentials of trainers who are relatively unknown and haven't trained fighters of note, and you then look at our best known trainers like Johnny Lewis, who would probably still be training amateurs in Newtown if Jeff Fenech didn't walk through his door.

It's normally the fighters who make the trainers and if Gareth can keep this stable they just might establish him as a top trainer in Australia.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 03-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
The Spider

vCash:

Damien Hooper's opponent for his pro debut is Garth Murray (6 wins and 5 losses).
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Lilo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Damien Hooper's opponent for his pro debut is Garth Murray (6 wins and 5 losses).
That's a pretty good record for someone's debut isn't it? He's won three on the bounce too. No messing about.
Lilo is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #38
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilo View Post
That's a pretty good record for someone's debut isn't it? He's won three on the bounce too. No messing about.
No complaints from me.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM   #39
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

shackle shaker. time....just time...
swingin is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum