Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #76
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835
Default Re: Who else could have finished Willard like Dempsey ?

The great thing about that fight isn't KOing the heavyweight champion in three rounds. Its the manor in which Dempsey did it. The mercilessness and ruthlessness of dempsey that day was terrifying. From such a size disadvantage its amazing he beat willard the way he did. I dont doubt that other fighters could KO willard but in the fashion dempsey did it? i'd only Tyson had that kind of venom.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #77
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I am very, very confident Tyson and Tua would've torn through Willard quicker than Dempsey.

I think Foreman and Louis also would've blasted Willard out in 4 rounds or less.

Depending on how aggressive Lennox Lewis went about it (Andrew Golota fight esque aggression), he may also take Willard out early.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #78
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
I am very, very confident Tyson and Tua would've torn through Willard quicker than Dempsey.

I think Foreman and Louis also would've blasted Willard out in 4 rounds or less.

Depending on how aggressive Lennox Lewis went about it (Andrew Golota fight esque aggression), he may also take Willard out early.
I could see a case for Tyson, Louis, and Foreman, but Tua shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #79
BlackCloud
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

We seem to have only 4 possibles then ?

Tyson
Louis
Foreman
Lewis

Out of those 4 only Tyson & Foreman would be fighting their normal style of quick starting

Louis & Lennox preferred to find their feet as it were before turning it up, unless they thought they had a point to prove.

Regardless of the above 4 and how they performed, i doubt it would match the ferocity of the original
BlackCloud is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #80
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[quote=janitor;14972482]
Quote:

There is actualy a great deal to assume. Whatever your personal thoughts on the matter, there are some indications that the fight was fixed.

And with good reason. Dempsey went on to become a dominant heavyweight champion, while Morrison went on to more of the same.

I don't think that Willard would have beaten Lennox Lewis, but I also don't think he would have lost to Michael Bentt. There are certainl;y guys like him min every era.

No he couldn't.

He never beat anybody close to being that goood that quickly.

The only rational assumption based on his record, is that he probably wouldn't replicate the feat.

I will also put it to you that you would never dare to make such a prediction, if the fight was going to happen tomorrow, and your prediction was going to be publicaly tested.

Have you ever predicted a knockout inside three rounds in a real fight that was going to have a real result?
[quote=janitor;14972482]
Quote:

There is actualy a great deal to assume. Whatever your personal thoughts on the matter, there are some indications that the fight was fixed.

And with good reason. Dempsey went on to become a dominant heavyweight champion, while Morrison went on to more of the same.

I don't think that Willard would have beaten Lennox Lewis, but I also don't think he would have lost to Michael Bentt. There are certainl;y guys like him min every era.
I thought it was debunked that the fight was fixed...

Dempsey went on to Hollywood to **** starlets and defend his title against washed up and/or opponents who had already been beaten by a more deserving contender who never got a shot. Make that two actually...at least Morrison can say he never ducked anyone.

[quote=janitor;14972482]
Quote:
No he couldn't.

He never beat anybody close to being that goood that quickly.

The only rational assumption based on his record, is that he probably wouldn't replicate the feat.

I will also put it to you that you would never dare to make such a prediction, if the fight was going to happen tomorrow, and your prediction was going to be publicaly tested.

Have you ever predicted a knockout inside three rounds in a real fight that was going to have a real result?
And why couldn't he? He was an aggressive stalker, much bigger than Dempsey, harder punching, just as fast if not faster, good head movement and had a fair bit of skills with good combination puching. Morrison looks more technically sound to me on film then Dempsey (GASP! BLASPHEMY!). That Willard was nothing more than a large heavybag with eyes.

Never beat anybody close to being that good that quickly? I'd rate the Pinklon Thomas that Morrison beat in 1 round over that Willard any day of the week.

And yes I would make that prediction, Willard was the worst champion I can recall, including all the alphabet ones. He didn't even know to put his hands up to his face when Dempsey was teeing off on him.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 12:16 AM   #81
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Damn I messed the quoting up bad.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #82
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
I could see a case for Tyson, Louis, and Foreman, but Tua shouldn't be anywhere near this discussion.
I think Tua should. Massive puncher, better technique than Dempsey, very fast starter, and knows how to land his big shots.

I don't think Willard had what it took to hold off an early Tua assault.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #83
Boxed Ears
I love GOAT.
East Side VIP

vCash: 25999

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
When that happens you've got to look at the quote tags. They look like:

[ QUOTE] [ / QUOTE ] without the spaces but with the post and poster name/number there. When they don't begin and end like that the quote's going to be all broken up.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #84
John Galt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

edit

Last edited by John Galt; 03-28-2014 at 12:09 AM.
John Galt is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #85
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:

I thought it was debunked that the fight was fixed...
While evidence put forward in recent years strengthens the idea that the fight was on the level, there is still a question mark over it.

Quote:
Dempsey went on to Hollywood to **** starlets and defend his title against washed up and/or opponents who had already been beaten by a more deserving contender who never got a shot. Make that two actually...at least Morrison can say he never ducked anyone.
Morrison was never in a position to duck anybody.

You have to be the person that everybody is shooting at first.

Quote:
And why couldn't he? He was an aggressive stalker, much bigger than Dempsey, harder punching, just as fast if not faster, good head movement and had a fair bit of skills with good combination puching. Morrison looks more technically sound to me on film then Dempsey (GASP! BLASPHEMY!). That Willard was nothing more than a large heavybag with eyes.
You make me wonder how Morrison ever lost here.

However much you try to build him up nand find merit in him based on what you see on film, the results in the ring tell a diferent story.

You cannot simply overlook what a fighter has done and not done in the ring.

Quote:
Never beat anybody close to being that good that quickly? I'd rate the Pinklon Thomas that Morrison beat in 1 round over that Willard any day of the week.
Then you would be showing considerable artistic liscence.

Thomas had nothing left but his name at this stage of his career.

Willard whatever you think of him, was still the champion.

Quote:
And yes I would make that prediction, Willard was the worst champion I can recall, including all the alphabet ones.
Firstly, both you and I know that you would never dare to make that prediction in any sort of fight that was going to be shown tonight.

Why don't you post the last five predictions that you made in fights involving two world class fighters?

I don't expect to see a stoppage inside three anywhere.

Secondly, I could name one alphabet champ who was worse than Willard even by the most caustic estimate of him.

Michael Bentt.

Quote:
He didn't even know to put his hands up to his face when Dempsey was teeing off on him.
Has it ever occcured to you that he might simply have been out on his feet from that forst left hook which caved his skull in?

Why would you base your assesment of any fighters abilities soley on a fight where they get demolished?
janitor is offline  Top
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #86
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum