Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,299
vCash: 773
Default Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Do you believe it happened?

Can't remember it word for word but pretty much they were drinking after their fight and Walker said something about if Harry didn't foul he wouldn't have won and Greb got angry and said he'll fight him right there and started taking his coat off and got his arms stuck and Walker landed an uppercut and won.
Theron is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
Manassa
-
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ESB since '05
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 75
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Walker wrapped Greb up in his own coat. Wasn't Greb's doing. Walker was known for this in bar brawls.
Manassa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
YoungBloodz
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
Walker wrapped Greb up in his own coat. Wasn't Greb's doing. Walker was known for this in bar brawls.
bob fitizmons had a book on "physical culture" in which he talked about doing that in fights.
YoungBloodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #4
YoungBloodz
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

/oo
YoungBloodz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
It's true, yeah. I have it on film.
Did it look something like this?

BORKED
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,406
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Greb threw, like, fifty punches in the space of twelve seconds.
Well, his liek d bhest mayne.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Never happened. Do a search of these forums. There have been other threads devoted to this. The myth has been thoroughly debunked.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 475
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

It did not. Greb losing his sight to a wizard in Poughkeepsie, on the other hand, is a matter of historical record.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,366
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Never happened. Do a search of these forums. There have been other threads devoted to this. The myth has been thoroughly debunked.
Klompton said it didn't, Walker said it did. Take your pick.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Klompton said it didn't, Walker said it did. Take your pick.
Leo Caghill, who was with Greb the entire night, stated for the record that they never even saw Walker. After the fight Walker, and his cornermen met up with Kearns and his wife. They took Mickey to Polyclinic Hospital to have Walker's numerous cuts stitched up. Afterwards they returned to Mickey's hotel room where his wife and cornermen took turns putting ice packs on Mickey's face and body.

Strangely, no mention of any altercation ever made it into the papers(and a fight outside a popular nightclub between 2 famous world champions would have made it, believe me). No mention of it anywhere until YEARS after (conveniently, after Greb is dead and no longer able to refute it). Walker changed the story constantly. It's not Walker vs Klompton. It's Walker vs everyone else.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,766
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Leo Caghill, who was with Greb the entire night, stated for the record that they never even saw Walker. After the fight Walker, and his cornermen met up with Kearns and his wife. They took Mickey to Polyclinic Hospital to have Walker's numerous cuts stitched up. Afterwards they returned to Mickey's hotel room where his wife and cornermen took turns putting ice packs on Mickey's face and body.

Strangely, no mention of any altercation ever made it into the papers(and a fight outside a popular nightclub between 2 famous world champions would have made it, believe me). No mention of it anywhere until YEARS after (conveniently, after Greb is dead and no longer able to refute it). Walker changed the story constantly. It's not Walker vs Klompton. It's Walker vs everyone else.
Spot on S. It never happened. After the bout Greb was with his aid's ,and Walker who took a thrassing, was being attended to for his cuts and bruises.
burt bienstock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,366
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
Leo Caghill, who was with Greb the entire night, stated for the record that they never even saw Walker. After the fight Walker, and his cornermen met up with Kearns and his wife. They took Mickey to Polyclinic Hospital to have Walker's numerous cuts stitched up. Afterwards they returned to Mickey's hotel room where his wife and cornermen took turns putting ice packs on Mickey's face and body.

Strangely, no mention of any altercation ever made it into the papers(and a fight outside a popular nightclub between 2 famous world champions would have made it, believe me). No mention of it anywhere until YEARS after (conveniently, after Greb is dead and no longer able to refute it). Walker changed the story constantly. It's not Walker vs Klompton. It's Walker vs everyone else.
I've no opinion either way ,and couldn't really care less.
Walker said he and Greb went to Texas Guinan's night club came out of there in the early hours,and things got heated,Greb started to take his coat off and Walker belted him then the fight was stopped by Pat Casey, a giant cop.
Maybe some one should have asked Casey if it happened?
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
I've no opinion either way ,and couldn't really care less.
Walker said he and Greb went to Texas Guinan's night club came out of there in the early hours,and things got heated,Greb started to take his coat off and Walker belted him then the fight was stopped by Pat Casey, a giant cop.
Maybe some one should have asked Casey if it happened?
I know. Walker was being the typical Irish raconteur. First it was the Silver Slipper. Then changed later to Texas Guinan's. He always changed the story. Walker was definitely in no shape to go out partying that night. He actually admitted towards the end of his life that the fight "never happened" (to Bert Sugar I believe).
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #14
Boggle
∆≈Ω≈∆
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
vCash: 75
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

What about the lesser known rumor that Mickey asked Greb to go easy on him in the later rounds? Supposedly this dialogue was picked up by the microphone. I've read a few accounts saying Greb could've stopped Walker, had him badly wobbled, but that he layed off him. Which seems to corroborate that story. Though Greb doesn't seem like a fighter who would push for a stoppage...
Boggle is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,336
vCash: 816
Default Re: Harry Greb Mickey Walker Street Fight - Real ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
It's true, yeah. I have it on film.
The guy in the blue beside Greb is me.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013