Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default How highly do you rate Benson Henderson? How does he do against prime BJ?

I don't know. I like watching Benderson fight. But I haven't yet seen the Pettis fight, only the famous kick, so I have to withhold strong opinions on him. But I thought he won both Edgar fights, and I am pretty impressed with the guy. His shutout of Nate was one of my favourite fights this year.

But how impressed are you guys? He always looks very calm in the cage, but how do you see him going against a prime BJ?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: How highly do you rate Benson Henderson? How does he do against prime BJ?

I think the guy has all the attributes to go down as a "great" talking in terms of BJ Penn is premature, Penn finished fights, he will always have that going for him.

Henderson is a product of modern MMA, well rounded, solid skill set, gives nothing away, and is very tough to beat in every single department.

Thing is with Ben Henderson, I look at his application and in my mind he is still trying to inflict damage on his opponents to actually force a finish, unlike St Pierre who is strategy, strategy, strategy, Henderson is putting himself in harms way, its just the finishes are not coming ....................... yet!

But I imagine they will soon enough, the guy is evolving fast, his cardio is beyond freakish, great wrestling, superb striking, good combination striker with hands and feet! the guy has the tools!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Default Re: How highly do you rate Benson Henderson? How does he do against prime BJ?

The mind set in modern MMA is one of a structured fight, looking primarily to beat the opponent on points rather than look for ways to force a stoppage.

Not in every single fight I will add but look at the likes of Edgar, St Pierre, John Jones Dominic Cruz to an extent! all top P4P guys but have that modern application where strategy comes first.

The likes of BJ Penn, Chuck Liddell, Fedor, Wanderlei, Shogun these will never be seen in MMA again, because that type of caution to the wind approach of going in there and taking the win by KO or submission is too dangerous to a fighter nowadays, the sport has become like boxing in this sense.

Get the W first, if the finish is there take it! if possible, its changed, and its changed for good. Look at all the up and coming fighters now, they are all well rounded, Jose Aldo was probably the last one to come through and blast people out!

Benson Henderson may go on a run of 10 world title defences without finishing a guy, this will ofcourse have him surpass Penn in numbers, but the fan will always remember Penn before a LW version of St Pierre.

Please dont get me wrong, what St Pierre does is very very impressive / special in-fact, but it is this application that has seen a tectonic shift in the way young fighters want to go about their business in the cage. I preferred and still prefer a finish to a fight!

I just hope Henderson develops enough skill to start putting guys away.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000

I don`t rate him that highly, he`s a good champion & quite well rounded but I`m pretty sure a prime BJ Penn finishes him within 5 rounds. If not then he beats him down for at least 4 of those en route to a clear UD.

Penn is on a different level to Henderson, he is without doubt the greatest LW in MMA history, I doubt Ben Henderson can get close to that ranking but only time will tell us that.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
I thought he won both Edgar fights
The first fight was a 50/50 fight, no clear winner.

I thought Edgar definitely beat him close but clear in the rematch.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 03-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

For sitting atop possibly the best division in MMA history; he doesn't impress me as much as I thought one would.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
I don`t rate him that highly, he`s a good champion & quite well rounded but I`m pretty sure a prime BJ Penn finishes him within 5 rounds. If not then he beats him down for at least 4 of those en route to a clear UD.

Penn is on a different level to Henderson, he is without doubt the greatest LW in MMA history, I doubt Ben Henderson can get close to that ranking but only time will tell us that.
I think this is pie in the sky to be perfectly honest, Im not sure what flaws Henderson has that BJ could capitalise on!

Henderson is a better striker than Penn, better wrestler, fitter, stronger, as quick on the feet with as quick hand speed, and he has more tools!

Nobody ever wants to be that guy that says Ben Henderson would beat a prime BJ Penn, but one has to do a little assessment of the fighters, if somebody is asking me how I see Penn finishing or out-pointing Ben Henderson, I'm not actually sure how I see that happening.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

I think people are forgetting this guys age, he's still a baby, technically speaking he should still be a prospect, his skill set has evolved very very quickly and he is becoming a pretty efficient monster at 155, I don't want to use the term un-beatable, but he's clearly the best fighter in the division right now
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Wilhelm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

In terms of legacy, Henderson isn't there yet. In terms of head to head, he beats any version of Penn. He's too good of an athlete and his kicks would make the difference. Penn wouldn't be able to take him down or keep him down if he did and Henderson's cardio would outlast Penn easily.

And Edgar won the second fight.
Wilhelm is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

he could beat penn
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

He's good, but not the ultimate dominant lightweight champion the UFC is trying to push him as.

He'd lose to prime Penn, and would lose to Pettis again or Aldo if he moves up.

I had him clearly beating Edgar the first time, but I tend to give the rematch to Edgar 3-2 (1 and 3 to Bendo, 2 and 4 to Edgar, 5 is a swing round; Bendo landed the most significant blow of the round, but not much happened in it until the very end of the round, which favored Edgar's "run around and throw arm punches, shoot takedowns that lead to nothing, rinse and repeat" strategy.)

Still, if he manages to not fight Aldo or Pettis, he could well put together a long run of decision win title defenses. Could be the reign of "BSP."
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Thracian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

How would Benson Henderson do against the two versions of GSP that BJ fought?
Thracian is offline  Top
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #13
Koa
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He has some intangibles, his striking is nuanced enough to give non kickboxers looks they have never seen before, but as we have seen better kickboxers can beat Henderson (Pettis) with even more nuanced looks and feints than even Henderson was accustomed to seeing.

Henderson is game, scrappy and very limber/ flexible for someone who carries the sort of explosive power he does. He's strong enough and flexible enough to neutralize really nice takedown attempts, and his gas is exceptional. He's not a guy who's easy to out will, as we saw with Guida, he can keep up with any pace and is comfortable in deep water.

What I think Henderson lacks is Polish in a certain location. Most great fighters have a couple things they can reach for in their bag of tricks, I don't see any specific techniques of Henderson that are outstanding. Nothing like a Jose Aldo knee or leg kicks, or a GSP takedown, or some technique he can use to change the tide of a fight. He didn't beat Frankie convincingly, and he is susceptible to being out struck on the feet which makes me think B.J. could beat him.

But, B.J. is also a guy who could be out willed and out hustled, Benson Henderson has will and Hustle in spades. It's an interesting matchup you bring up! If BJ ever had a weakness it was his heart and will, where he had techniques and polish in spades..

Fascinating matchup to think about Haggis!
Koa is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #14
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

BJ Penn had all the talent in the world. He had all the skills and the physical gifts to dominate.

His problem was his mind.

No fighter has fallen so quickly because of mental issues. I would never bet against BJ when he was dangerous.
MaliSlamusrex is offline  Top
Old 03-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Aquamarine
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The first fight was a 50/50 fight, no clear winner.

I thought Edgar definitely beat him close but clear in the rematch.
This.
Aquamarine is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum