OSKA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #2
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Outback Fight Club

And watching James Ellis fight....short career as a professional due to no backing apparently?
OSKA is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

To get backing in AUS you have to move to one of the citys and suck a promoters dck.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #4
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSKA View Post
Not a bad show at all!

Good old tent boxing.

Anyone been to show before?
Yup! Pro boxers belting shit outta game local drunks is quite a sight
Da Voice is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Voice View Post
Yup! Pro boxers belting shit outta game local drunks is quite a sight
I dont agree with it either, got quite a bashing from the armchair experts over it. Even Ben Crampton had a go at me about what id wrote, because he was beating up drunks in brophys tent as well.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Fred Brophy still kicking round Queensland, always at the Mt Isa rodeo and Birdsville Cup. Bell's Troupe still travels Queensland and the NT, I believe too many restrictions were placed on the travelling boxing shows in the other states for them too run any shows.

They played an important part in the history of pro boxing in Australia, especially among aboriginal boxers, so many great ones got their start in Sharman's, or another similar tent. Ron Richards, George Bracken, Jack Hassen and Alfie Clay to name a few as well as fighter likek Don "Bronco" Johnson.

They may not be what they once were, but they are still a lot of fun and are the main attraction at any country town where they set up.

A funny side note though, Dallas Gostelow, the older brother of Lance who was also a very good boxer once was standing in the crowd of the Mt Isa Rodeo at Brophy's troupe and put his hand up to fight. Fred asked him if he ever fought before and he told him he had a couple of scraps in the schoolyard, so Fred chucked him in with a fighter he thought would make short work of Dallas. The fight stated and Brophy's came racing out to take Dallas's head off, Dallas slipped his right hand, came back with a hook and knocked him silly. Fred was furious and all the locals thought it was hilarious, probably one of the only times someone has pulled one over Fred.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
I dont agree with it either, got quite a bashing from the armchair experts over it. Even Ben Crampton had a go at me about what id wrote, because he was beating up drunks in brophys tent as well.
First time I have seen it and they didnt look to professional to me.

The Mt Isa boys got the better of them in this episode.

Sorry I was meant to quote the post above you TC.
OSKA is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
First time I have seen it and they didnt look to professional to me.

The Mt Isa boys got the better of them in this episode.

Sorry I was meant to quote the post above you TC.
All good mate, did you go to the Mt Isa show or you watched footage of it?
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post
Fred Brophy still kicking round Queensland, always at the Mt Isa rodeo and Birdsville Cup. Bell's Troupe still travels Queensland and the NT, I believe too many restrictions were placed on the travelling boxing shows in the other states for them too run any shows.

They played an important part in the history of pro boxing in Australia, especially among aboriginal boxers, so many great ones got their start in Sharman's, or another similar tent. Ron Richards, George Bracken, Jack Hassen and Alfie Clay to name a few as well as fighter likek Don "Bronco" Johnson.

They may not be what they once were, but they are still a lot of fun and are the main attraction at any country town where they set up.

A funny side note though, Dallas Gostelow, the older brother of Lance who was also a very good boxer once was standing in the crowd of the Mt Isa Rodeo at Brophy's troupe and put his hand up to fight. Fred asked him if he ever fought before and he told him he had a couple of scraps in the schoolyard, so Fred chucked him in with a fighter he thought would make short work of Dallas. The fight stated and Brophy's came racing out to take Dallas's head off, Dallas slipped his right hand, came back with a hook and knocked him silly. Fred was furious and all the locals thought it was hilarious, probably one of the only times someone has pulled one over Fred.
pissa lol...

Its quite dangerous when you think about it. Fighters with piss in their system getting hit around the head is not good for the sport. I see how its a side show attraction but that doesnt mean one has to like it. I guess people who dont know any better would see it as entertainment but i think its honestly bad for the sport. No ropes, drunk opponents vs experianced boxers. Its exploiting the sport imo.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #10
Above Deck
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
pissa lol...

Its quite dangerous when you think about it. Fighters with piss in their system getting hit around the head is not good for the sport. I see how its a side show attraction but that doesnt mean one has to like it. I guess people who dont know any better would see it as entertainment but i think its honestly bad for the sport. No ropes, drunk opponents vs experianced boxers. Its exploiting the sport imo.
I agree.
Above Deck is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
All good mate, did you go to the Mt Isa show or you watched footage of it?
Nah just watched footage of it.
OSKA is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #12
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Nah just watched footage of it.
WITHOUT posting a link can you tell me what the name of the episode was that you watched? not sure if what you have seen are new ones or old ones, the ones i watched the tent fighters always come out ontop.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
oba carr
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwgcolman View Post

Really? Dallas retired because he had a bleed on the brain in 2002 or 03. Seems a bit strange that he would risk his health to fight some spastic in a tent for nothing. Also, if you get up close to Dallas as Fred Brophy said he does, you know that hes had more than a couple of fights.
oba carr is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oba carr View Post
Really? Dallas retired because he had a bleed on the brain in 2002 or 03. Seems a bit strange that he would risk his health to fight some spastic in a tent for nothing. Also, if you get up close to Dallas as Fred Brophy said he does, you know that hes had more than a couple of fights.
It was in the late 90's when Dallas fought in the tent
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 03-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
OSKA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
WITHOUT posting a link can you tell me what the name of the episode was that you watched? not sure if what you have seen are new ones or old ones, the ones i watched the tent fighters always come out ontop.
Not sure what episode it was.......

It was where James Ellis was taking over as top boxer due to 'The Cowboy" retiring.

Then some dude called the The Last Mohican got touched up a little bit.

And some former model jumps in the ring for Fred who I would have shagged back in the day .

Think there are only two episodes and that was episode one.
OSKA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum