Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #46
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Whitaker Apologists Respond...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Where does mustachoeity rank?
Certainly factors in, but not nearly as important. I value it, don't get me wrong, but it's just way too subjective, that one. I mean, for instance: Lopez vs Sorjaturong.

Neither man has an actual, visible mustache to judge, but we know that Ricardo's metaphysical 'stache would certainly trump Saman's in every single category.The problem, of course, comes when we look at fights like Mayweather-Judah. Who has the edge in mustachoeity there? Not nearly as clear cut. You'd have to switch up and go to eyebrows in that one, and that just leads to a whole cluster****.

No, best to establish a criterion around something more realistic, more easily observed and measured, more less-stupid-and-nonsensical. Why I went for jive-ass clowning.
the cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #47
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cobra View Post
Certainly factors in, but not nearly as important. I value it, don't get me wrong, but it's just way too subjective, that one. I mean, for instance: Lopez vs Sorjaturong.

Neither man has an actual, visible mustache to judge, but we know that Ricardo's metaphysical 'stache would certainly trump Saman's in every single category.The problem, of course, comes when we look at fights like Mayweather-Judah. Who has the edge in mustachoeity there? Not nearly as clear cut. You'd have to switch up and go to eyebrows in that one, and that just leads to a whole cluster****.

No, best to establish a criterion around something more realistic, more easily observed and measured, more less-stupid-and-nonsensical. Why I went for jive-ass clowning.
Do you consider Jorge Paez the best fighter you've ever seen? Or does he lack some jiveness?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #48
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Saman actually had an awesome Orientel Fu Manchu type 'tache between fights.

Justsayin'.....
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Do you consider Jorge Paez the best fighter you've ever seen? Or does he lack some jiveness?
Plenty of jive, but no ass. A solid 7.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #50
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Saman actually had an awesome Orientel Fu Manchu type 'tache between fights.

Justsayin'.....
I don't know as much about Asian midgets as you, but I'd say Saman was as good a between-fights fighter as anyone this side of James Toney.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #51
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think Whitaker deserved the win vs Chavez but It was clear to me, that Chavez was not at his best. I never understood why that fight was at Welter. I always wondered why that fight was never made earlier. Not saying Chavez would have won, but I think it would have been a much better fight. At that time, Welter/DEBUT for Chavez, with the amount of fights he had, his age, lack of dedication/alcohol and drugs, wars in the ring and fighting one of the best defensive fighters of all time...that was too much for Chavez. That fight should have been made at lightweight or even Jr Welter. Not Welter.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #52
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Listen. Whitaker was basically shot when he beat Chavez. So that makes all his post-shot career all the more amazing, pushing him up to GOAT-status on my list.

But Duran still outranks him because, well, Roberto knocked out a ****ing horse. Whitaker can't possibly compete with that.
Sweet Pea did enough coke to kill several horses. A whole ****ing stable of 'em. So there.
Drew101 is online now  Top
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #53
Slothrop
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
For a guy who was incessantly labeled as a hard-luck fighter screwed by the judges, he also carries some of the biggest gifts ever on his record, Rivera I was not even close, Pestriaev was a sham, and Vasquez was a flat out fix.

Yet, we have to hear the Chavez was a robbery though it was a close fight, that DLH did not win (he won going away to all but the most biased observer).

Whitaker was the master of doing 10 seconds of brilliant fighting in a 3-minute round. That, and a lot of running, turning his back, spinning opponents, clutching and jive-ass clowning for the audience, none of which garnered him a point from me.
Slothrop is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 AM   #54
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3600

If Whitaker beat Ramirez in their 1st fight, then Qawi vs Holyfield #1 is #1 robbery in history.
Because what Qawi did against Holyfield was far better than what Whitaker (never) did against Ramirez, including their 2nd fight
But how many times do ppl complain about de decision in Qawi vs Holyfield #1?
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #55
werety
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Whitaker did NOT beat DLH. I've watched the fight so many times now just to see peoples logic in scoring it for him, its just not there. It really wasn't even particularly close in my eyes.
werety is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum