Old 04-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #47
N17
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Tough night for fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Its an intriguing fight, don't over look Cunningham, I expect Fury to win, but wouldnt surprise me Cunningham rocked Fury in this fight.

Just having a read through and this was pretty much bang on the money...
N17 is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonBarry View Post
I think it was pretty clear that Fury was emotionally invested in the fight when he should have fought impassively - that was a major undoing and an unnecessary risk. You say he used his natural advantages, but he did so in a limited fashion - the fight against Johnson was a blueprint example of utilising his natural advantages; in this encounter he just wanted to brawl - was it because of the venue? The setting? Or was he riled by Cunningham? Either way, it almost backfired.
Difference between Johnson and Cunningham, was that Johnson was fat and not in the condition of Cunningham! Tyson Fury was able to out move, and out box Johnson. I don't think he could of did the same to Cunningham! He had not choice but to walk forward and impose his size, and strength he had not other choice. Even still Cunningham fought a bigmans fight and was getting off the better work more of the time, and beating Fury up. Before this fight Fury was piping up about being 6"9, there are allot of heavyweights these days that think the title is owed to them because they are 6"5 plus. Cunningham was the better athlete and fighter, and i see what Nazim Richardson was saying about some big guys winning 80% because they are big. That was Steve USS cunningham's biggest problem, and in my opinion he nearly over came it! even by fighting a bigmans fight!

There are old school heavyweights out there who can fight, and i think the Tyson Fury's, David Price's need to pipe down.

I hope more CW move up to the Heavyweight division, that was a exciting fight!
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #49
Bronxbull666
The Beast From The East
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Fury wasn't in the best shape, but was way too strong for USS. Bunce mentioned Fury's training weeks ago, how he gets his brothers to jump on his arms so he can wrestle them.

People talk about good chins, but he got full pelt on the nose and wasn't hurt badly.

People wank over Chisora, and I really don't know why.
Bronxbull666 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #50
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
I thought it was more of a flash knockdown by USS in the second round, akin to Douglas-Tyson when Mike landed that sweet uppercut as Buster got careless.
Eh? A flash KD like Douglas being dropped by Tyson? Douglas was ****ed and was down for over 10 seconds.
Strike is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 AM   #51
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

If that was a flash KD I'd hate to see what state Fury would be in after what he'd call a heavy one.

He was wide open to a right hand over the top and was caught right on the button.

Based on that evidence he's going to be one-shotted in the near future, unfortunately.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #52
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
If that was a flash KD I'd hate to see what state Fury would be in after what he'd call a heavy one.

He was wide open to a right hand over the top and was caught right on the button.

Based on that evidence he's going to be one-shotted in the near future, unfortunately.
Yep. Just watched it, he was dropped heavily and he was hurt. And it wasn't even on the chin. Imagine an overhand right from Haye...
Strike is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 AM   #53
Ringmaster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fury showed a lot of guts and heart. But lets get real here, even in this age of a very poor heavyweight division he is going to have to be matched very carefully.

He is entertaining, but will get found out by a heavyweight who can fire back with shots. He is slow and ponderous, you can see his shots coming from a mile off.

Fury has done very well for himself, world class guts and heart but domestic class boxing ability.
Ringmaster is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #54
mgmark7
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
He didn't fight particularly sensibly, did he. That was part of the problem.

He didn't look hurt to me - he got knocked down, but that does happen if you get smacked square in the face by a 6ft 3 heavy man
Spot on. Tyson Fury made it tougher for himself than it needed to be. This fight will probably make him an attractive prospect for one of the Klitchkos. They will see him as chinny big guy.

It would be an easy sell for a big event in Germany.
mgmark7 is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #55
dublynflya
I agree!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
He didn't fight particularly sensibly, did he. That was part of the problem.

He didn't look hurt to me - he got knocked down, but that does happen if you get smacked square in the face by a 6ft 3 heavy man
Wrong!! Tyson was quite clearly hurt (and Cunningham was not renowned for his power at CW) and on more than one occasion Fury was rocked..but I do agree that his (Tyson's) trash talk made this a night where the wheels almost fell off. Fury put too much pressure on himself to not only win, but put on a show, and that was evident. This resulted in him not fighting a sensible fight.

In my opinion, Tyson Fury's arrogance almost earned him a defeat! If he had took Cunningham seriously (and stopped all the bullshit and between rounds histrionics) he could have utilised his obvious advantages and made this an evening where the majority praised an excellent victory. So, who is to blame? Fury? His camp? Probably a bit of both, the main thing is, Tyson showed his undoubted heart and won the fight..but against a powerful hitting HW Tyson better learn that having respect for an opponent is essential or he may find himself getting ko'd in spectacular fashion (what the **** is it with him holding his left hand so low? This is not the amateurs).

[quote=DDDUUDDDEE;15205554]I thought it was more of a flash knockdown by USS in the second round, akin to Douglas-Tyson when Mike landed that sweet uppercut as Buster got careless. Fury looked annoyed with himself more than anything.

Mike Tyson dropping Buster Douglas was a flash knockdown???? You obviously know **** all about boxing so I suggest you learn what a "Flash knockdown" is (perhaps you could "Wiki it) before you post a comment that clearly shows your ignorance.

BTW Fury's knockdown wasn't of the "flash" variety either and he looked shook to his boots and more than a little concerned (try watching it again, only this time without the bias) the one emotion that most certainly did not appear present on Tyson's dial for the remainder of that round was annoyance.

Let us hope that this FINALLY gets Tyson's attention!! He is no longer fighting bums! Fury could shock a lot of people and go a long way, but he MUST take heed of this huge warning.
dublynflya is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 AM   #56
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Tyson Fury did fine. I can't understand why people expected this to be an easy fight for him.

An in-shape Cunningham is the first really credible opposition he's been up against. If you asked me two years ago if Tyson Fury would EVER be able to get past a fighter like that, I'd have said no way he hasn't the talent.
I can't believe some people are treating this like an UNDER-performance from Fury.

Many here expected Fury to dominate from start to finish, they also seemed to expected Cunningham to be over-awed by Fury's size and didn't expect him to come to win.
I think people are basing too much on HYPE and not looking at the form book.
Cunningham was still a 'live' opponent with every reason to believe he could win. Fury was a big braggart but relatively untested.

Fury did good.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 04-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #57
Ringmaster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Tyson Fury did fine. I can't understand why people expected this to be an easy fight for him.

An in-shape Cunningham is the first really credible opposition he's been up against. If you asked me two years ago if Tyson Fury would EVER be able to get past a fighter like that, I'd have said no way he hasn't the talent.
I can't believe some people are treating this like an UNDER-performance from Fury.

Many here expected Fury to dominate from start to finish, they also seemed to expected Cunningham to be over-awed by Fury's size and didn't expect him to come to win.
I think people are basing too much on HYPE and not looking at the form book.
Cunningham was still a 'live' opponent with every reason to believe he could win. Fury was a big braggart but relatively untested.

Fury did good.
Of course Tyson Fury did well, but not against a recognised world class heavyweight.

Cunningham is not recognised for his punching power but yet he managed to knock down Fury and had him worried on a couple of occasions.

My concern for Fury would be how he would fair against a recognised punching world class heavyweight - look at Fury's record, very very carefully matched.

Haye v Fury for example is a clear cut result in my view.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:05 AM   #58
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
Of course Tyson Fury did well, but not against a recognised world class heavyweight.

Cunningham is not recognised for his punching power but yet he managed to knock down Fury and had him worried on a couple of occasions.

My concern for Fury would be how he would fair against a recognised punching world class heavyweight - look at Fury's record, very very carefully matched.
Well, Fury has improved and might improve some more.
Of course there are fighters out there who would probably KO Fury.

Fury at least shows heart and toughness, and came back well from the KD.

Quote:
Haye v Fury for example is a clear cut result in my view.
Yeah, Haye ought to exploit those openings and knock Fury out, going off of their recent form.
But then I wouldn't completely write off Fury either. Haye's been mostly protected at heavyweight too. Haye hasn't fought many young/hungry HWs has he ?

I doubt Fury beats Pulev anyway.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #59
Ringmaster
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

The problem with Fury is, people are talking about him possibly winning world titles, something that will not happen in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #60
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
The problem with Fury is, people are talking about him possibly winning world titles, something that will not happen in my opinion.
Yeah, that's the problem, people are judging him against the hype and not looking at the reality.
If you look at the reality, last night's win was decent progress for Tyson Fury.

As for fighting David Haye, it would be a massive fight, great for British boxing.
If I was Fury's adviser, I'd want him to chase that fight rather than the eliminator with Pulev.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum