Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Frazier v. Dempsey 15 rds

A war between 2 of my all time favs...I think that prime Dempsey wins by TKO...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #32
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Dempsey-starts out faster, slight edge in power, better chin. If Dempsey doesn't get him early i'll say by the 7th round then Frazier's chances greatly increase
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #33
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Just to be clear I am picking Dempsey to win, good point by Burt also bringing up that Dempsey has a two handed attack where as Frazier lives and dies by his left hook.
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #34
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Thanks Burt...I also remember Ray Arcel, when asked if Dempsey would've done well in the Ali era claimed that Dempsey would've had a "picnic" against the fighters of the period (I think it was the mid 70's) and Arcel saw them all so I wouldn't sell Jack short against anyone.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #35
TheHammerof63

Dempsey,
TKO
TheHammerof63 is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
BoxingFanPhil
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Joe Frazier.
BoxingFanPhil is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
louis54
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

dempsey may have been the best first round fighter in history. frazier was vulnerable early on in bouts ; too much so to last long with dempsey imo. dempsey in one
louis54 is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
Thanks Burt...I also remember Ray Arcel, when asked if Dempsey would've done well in the Ali era claimed that Dempsey would've had a "picnic" against the fighters of the period (I think it was the mid 70's) and Arcel saw them all so I wouldn't sell Jack short against anyone.
I have a ton of respect for Ray Arcel but that's crazy to say Dempsey would've had a picnic.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #39
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

I do love Dempsey, but he remains the most overrated heavyweight I've seen on this forum. Arcel's opinion is great, but it's clear he has some generation bias.
Dempsey's chin: Massively overrated.
Dempsey's power: Massively overrated.

I do give Dempsey a chance to hurt Frazier, but if he floors him, he won't keep him there. Joe beats the **** out of Dempsey. One-handed fighters beat offensive two-handed fighters all the time. Too much is made of that.

Like Merchant wisely said in a vid I had once: "Yeah Frazier was one-dimensional, but that was some dimension!" I paraphrased, but he also said everyone knows going in about the hook- they just can't do anything about it. Dempsey would be no exception.

Frazier ends up putting Dempsey through a meat grinder. Less and less competitive with each passing round.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=DaveK;15231213]I do love Dempsey, but he remains the most overrated heavyweight I've seen on this forum. Arcel's opinion is great, but it's clear he has some generation bias.
Dempsey's chin: Massively overrated.
Dempsey's power: Massively overrated.

I do give Dempsey a chance to hurt Frazier, but if he floors him, he won't keep him there. Joe beats the **** out of Dempsey. One-handed fighters beat offensive two-handed fighters all the time. Too much is made of that.

Like Merchant wisely said in a vid I had once: "Yeah Frazier was one-dimensional, but that was some dimension!" I paraphrased, but he also said everyone knows going in about the hook- they just can't do anything about it. Dempsey would be no exception.

Frazier ends up putting Dempsey through a meat grinder. Less and less competitive with each passing round.[/quote
I will take Ray Arcel's opinion over yours D ,anytime, anyplace.
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #41
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burt bienstock View Post
I will take Ray Arcel's opinion over yours D ,anytime, anyplace.
I'm shocked!
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #42
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

Respected and wise people say stupid **** all the time-

Dempsey would have a "picnic" in one of the toughest times in heavyweight history? That qualifies for a stupid statement, and one that is obviously generated by a bias of some sort.

Nothing objective about him having a "picnic" in the '70's heavyweight scene. I think it realistic to say he'd be in the top ten, but not a cut above, such as Ali and Frazier. He'd be winning and losing against the B-class fighters of the era which is no insult AT ALL, and by the way, would be top dawgs in Dempsey's days...

A "picnic"... *****, get out of here... Ridiculous.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #43
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Respected and wise people say stupid **** all the time-

Dempsey would have a "picnic" in one of the toughest times in heavyweight history? That qualifies for a stupid statement, and one that is obviously generated by a bias of some sort.

Nothing objective about him having a "picnic" in the '70's heavyweight scene. I think it realistic to say he'd be in the top ten, but not a cut above, such as Ali and Frazier. He'd be winning and losing against the B-class fighters of the era which is no insult AT ALL, and by the way, would be top dawgs in Dempsey's days...

A "picnic"... *****, get out of here... Ridiculous.
I agree. It just shows that Ray was human just like all of us.

On the other hand lets not call Joe Frazier a one handed fighter. He was far from that. His righthand was always in the mix. He was accurate with it. He may not have put guys to sleep with it but Im sure he got their attention.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #44
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilalah View Post
I favor Dempsey just a little. A bit better at pushing opportunities to the limit; also, I don't think he would be at a disadvantage in such parts of the fight that were wars of attrition -- I think a fair number of his inside punches might have shoveled inside of Joe's. I've read Ambers boxed Armstrong like this in their rematch. But, ultimately, Armstrong and Ambers split and, if Dempsey and Frazier fought twice, I'd expect a split, too. I think Dempsey would take three ought of five.
(Nine years ago post ..... LOL, I can't even remember posting it).

Anyways, I'm nowadays no way near so confident a prognosticator, and I'm not at all sure who would win a Dempsey-Frazier encounter. If you pressed me, I might go 6-to-5 odds, Dempsey favored.

Last edited by guilalah; 04-25-2013 at 09:15 PM.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Arcel was a boyhood Dempsey fan, his opinion is biased because of that and his opinions on Dempsey are pretty ridiculous.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum