Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #31
TorresPromotion

vCash: 500
Default Re: I think i might be "overtrained"

It happens to me when i go to sleep late to wake up early in the morning, i just dont feel like doing anything
TorresPromotion is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #32
catch22
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
There's nothing you can do but educate him. Talk to him about some principles of periodisation, explain that you need fatigue to dissipate to see improvements in performance, and that every top athlete in the world has easy days and unloading weeks. It's always the hardest workers that overtrain, they see their performance decreasing and they think they have to work harder. It's a vicious cycle and once overtraining is full blown it can take a long time to come back from. If you're training hard in an overtrained state then it will achieve the same result as detraining. Does he perform any strength training? It could be muscle imbalances contributing to his soreness if he just does the typical boxing resistance exercises (push ups, sit ups) without doing just as much pulling and lower back work.
Thanks for the replies. I have showed him a few of your posts (and others) to educate him and back up what I have basicly tried to tell him. I think he may be slowly realising he has to train smarter and vary the intensity levels of his training. I also have a better understanding of "overtraining" from reading your posts and feel a lot more confident in dealing with the issue.

I said to him that the longer he trains the way he does the longer it will take to get back to where he needs to be. I think that may of hit home a bit.

We do a fair bit of core strength training and I do focus on training the opposite muscle groups to keep the balance. He is just sore all over most of the time.

Do you think 5.5-6 hours of sleep per night is adequate for recovery? Do naps help? Thanks
catch22 is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #33
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
Do you think 5.5-6 hours of sleep per night is adequate for recovery? Do naps help? Thanks
if you have job and box everyday the best sleep is 9 hours if you wanna be fresh on the work and on box also.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #34
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
That's not true at all. It's typically out of shape people who become very motivated who overtrain. The less fit you are the easier it is to get there. Motivated people with perfectionist qualities are the people who are most likely to get themselves into an overtrained state. Having a poor diet or lack of sleep may be a cause or effect of overtraining, overtraining is very complex. If you lift weights at a gym it's very hard to overtrain but in a sport like boxing it's very easy. People don't periodise or progress their training properly and try to work as hard as possible as often as possible. I think overtraining is more common than anyone realises.

For the OP:
Overtraining is the point where the athlete starts to experience physiological maladaptaions and chronic performance decrements. There's the sympathetic and parasympathetic forms of overtraining. Symptoms include - Impaired physical performance, Decreased appetite, Anorexia and weight loss, Increase in waking pulse of > 5 b.p.m., Altered metabolism, Abnormal rise in HR on standing, Postural hypotension or hypertension, Muscle and joint pains, Immunosuppression (head colds, allergies), Insomnia, Depression, Increased nocturnal fluid intake, reduced vigour, increased tension, anxiety and exercise dependence.
There's a few hypothesis for its genesis - Neuroendocrine changes, Energy metabolism, amino acid and monamine metabolism, immunological dysfunction and nitric oxide metabolism with neuroendocrine probably being the most important factor.
Resting heart rate is a good way to determine if you're overtrained if you know what you're usually at.
Overtraining is even more damaging to fitness than detraining. To treat it reduce training intensity for several days, rest completely for three to five days, seek counselling, eat sufficient carbohydrate to prevent glycogen depletion and prevent overtraining by alternating easy, moderate, and hard training. You might laugh at seek counselling but there is a strong psychological element to it, the harder you try to push through it and tough it out the worse it gets. Chronic fatigue syndrome is on the same spectrum as overtraining, this isn't something to be taken lightly.
Every professional sports team these days hand out forms to their athletes daily to record how they feel, this includes psychological, physical and general wellbeing. If an athlete is stressed out about something away from sport it will affect the quality of their training, stress is stress whether it's from activity or emotions your body doesn't differentiate between the two and it has the same physiological effect. Getting excited about something is stressful as well, it doesn't have to be negative to take a toll on you.
Recovery is very important, I'm not saying you're necessarily overtrained but you may be getting to that point. The point you may be at is sometimes a goal for an athlete, the athlete then cuts back training and gets an increased training effect. That's called overreaching. There's a thin line between overreaching and overtraining so you should err on the side of caution.
Monitor how you feel and don't be afraid to take some time off and relax. You're not being lazy or a *****, your subjective feelings are very real and it makes no difference, what you perceive has physiological/physical effects so don't let anybody say you're being lazy. And whatever you do don't try to train your way out of it, the longer you overtrain for the more fitness you'll lose and the longer it will take to get back where you were.
That's very interesting, I do boxercise 3 times a week, I cycle to work everyday so 10miles a day, Im 40 and am pretty fit for my age (I think) I always want to perfrom excersises correctly and make a point of doing this, aswell as perfroming at 100% intensity in each session...

I have noticed up and downs based on sleep, eating etc.

Based on what you are saying should I not always perfrom or work out as hard as I can?

Should you sometimes not push yourself, so for example should out of the 3 session should I push it for 2 and maybe not as hard in 1.

Or am I not doing enough for it to be a problem?
rampant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing